04 Passat - Not Starting All The Time

fitforever

TDI
2004 Passat, 2002 Jetta Wagon
My Passat 04 (60Kmiles) has been serviced by VW 3 times over the last 3 months. Some parts have been replaced (starter, glow ?, battery, etc). and each time I get the car back I dive it home, turn it off and that try to immediately start it again and it does not start right away. I am using both of my keys. All the lights go one. It seems the starter is not getting a charge to start. After 2 - 3 mins I try again and it starts.

This never occurs when the car is has been sitting for a long time. It only occurs when I drive it for 10 -30 minutes, stop, turn the engine off and the try and start again. I want to return the car to VW again and get another loaner but I woul like to give them come ides on what the problem could be. The computer in the car and not recording any info on the times I cannot start the car.

If additional information is needed to better understand my problem please advise.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Hi there, and welcome!

You will soon learn from most of us on this forum that 99% of dealers can't diagnose these cars to save their life, and if they get lucky, the repair usually gets done wrong. Get with someone with a VAG-com, check the link up above for someone near you, something somewhere has to be the culprit and it's probably not one of the big $$$ things the dealer is trying to sell you.

Just throwing a few ideas out now: maybe bad grounds or wiring, maybe faulty temp. switches, maybe even faulty ignition switch, or fuse(s) gone bad. Hopefully other Passat PD owners will chime in soon, they may have experienced this before.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Ignition switch? Fautly relay?

I take it the car doesn't actually run the starter (no cranking noise?)

I'd like to take a look at what it's doing... click my name and click on view public profile for my contact information...