Updated media interface cable

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
yes, android.. is there such a thing as an adapter from old ipod to mini USB?

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Salesman is going to try and get me one for the 2015 GSW. If he can't I found one on Amazon.
MDI Adapter Cable - Lightning Charger 2015 VW GTI Only https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P1NXYL8/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_6TO.yb873JAQK
For anyone else in the same boat as me.
I have the above lightning cable, very cumbersome and short, also if your iphone is in any kind of case it won't fit unless its a very thin case.

There is also a cable that has a regular usb end that your usb to mini usb cable can fit into..

Btw, if you call vw customer service and tell them that you bought a car and need whatever cable they might ship you one if you are very nice to them.

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
I have a note in to the dealer where I got the car. They are going to try and hook me up. Hers hoping ;)

Thanks for the input!

KnightWolf

TDI
2015 Golf Comfortline
My sales guy got me one when I picked up my golf, but doesn't seem to work. Shows connecting on the screen for about 2-3 seconds, starts to charge the battery, then nothing. Am I missing something? Haven't had time to go back, maybe this weekend I'll speak with them.

vikingtdi

TDI
'11 JSW

Thanks for that. I've read through that entire thread and it seems that the part in question (USB+aux adapter) would need to include the wiring harness to fish through to the... unit. Otherwise you will need to rewire it with existing harness. See post #242 in your link.

luckydpt

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S Manual (Previous: 3 ALH's )
The car had the cable in it for the older iPhone5/5s..... but my salesman hooked my up with the cable for my iPhone 6s/7.
They have them at the dealer.
Just ask nicely with a smile! :)

alex97jazzblue

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BRM

kevkor2002

TDI
The dealer hooked me with the lightning cable version of the cable but I had asked for the usb version. No ones fault just a mix up on communication. I had asked for the lightning before I knew there was a USB version. Verbally asking for a different one didn't make it up the channels. I'd rather have the flexibility of the USB one but the lightning works just fine so I can't complain. The dealer did right by my request....I just requested the wrong one first ;)

kevkor2002

TDI

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
I looked at those links and am a bit confused. What head unit do the MK7 GSW / Golfs have? It looked like we would have to buy a new unit as well as the wiring and new ports for the cubbie.
Or would that port/connector in the cubbie and a new wire + recoding work?

bigdaddylee82

TDI
'09 Jetta
We bought our '15 Golf TDI SE with "Fender audio" on the 31st of April.

We got the older 30 pin iDevice cable with our car, like everyone else. I still have an old iPhone for work that uses the 30 pin charger, so I thought I could still get some use out of it. However when I plug my iPhone into the cable, it shows up as an iPod with no media present, it's a work phone so I don't have any music saved to it, but it has unlimited data so I frequently use it for streaming services. I cannot stream Pandora, Slacker, or anything else over the cable, I just get told there's no media on the iPod.

That's frustrating, because on our '14 JSW I could plug my work iPhone into the cable, stream Slacker over the radio, and have my personal phone connected to Bluetooth for calls. On the '15 streaming only seems to work via Bluetooth, and I can't have more than one phone connected to Bluetooth at a time, so I'm left to choose between hands free calling on my personal phone, or streaming music from my work phone.

VW called with a survey about our purchase today, asked me a few questions, and then asked me if I had any questions. I asked if there was an updated MDI cable, they apologized for us having the wrong cable, but didn't provide any relevant information. Instead they are sending us a $300 Visa gift card for the our inconvenience. I didn't ask to be given a cable, or for any kind of compensation, they just offered to send a gift card to buy a new cable with.

RunningSnail

TDI
2015 Golf SE
Getting a little off topic, I find sometimes when connected via BT, the MEDIA button will stream music on my phone, other times Pandora. Neither app will be open. If I want to make sure Pandora plays, I have to open the app before selecting media.

Haven't tried with the cable.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Getting a little off topic, I find sometimes when connected via BT, the MEDIA button will stream music on my phone, other times Pandora. Neither app will be open. If I want to make sure Pandora plays, I have to open the app before selecting media.

Haven't tried with the cable.
I get this occasionally as well. It will just start auto-playing Spotify unless I get Pandora open in a reasonable time. Can't find any settings in Spotify for auto-play either...

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
I happened to talk to the service manager at my dealer and asked him about this, he said that they sell a cable that will adapt to the old connection, as others have mentioned above.
However, I called VW customer care with a different question, and thought to ask her about this. After holding for several minutes, she told me that at this time they have no solution to the old school cable on newer phones. Just goes to show that one hand does not know what the other is doing.
On my 2010, it has the same old cable and I bought an adapter from Apple to use 40 pin to Lightning for my wife's iPhone. It does not work well at all, I hope VW's is better.
I have an android and have little hope of using a cable with the 2015 system unless someone can verify that it works.
Else I will try the vortex solution at some point.

alex97jazzblue

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BRM
Im taking us back on topic here folks. The point of this thread is to determine how we transfer the mmi connector in the ashtray of the 2015- models to the USB version found on 2016+ models.

I will be the guinea pig and order the chinese part from Ebay and then determine however I am little unsure if this would work simply because China calls it "car play" which is not what the 2015 models have.

Here is a link. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUX-in-USB-...998798?hash=item2f03d8bd4e:g:ReoAAOSwKytZHAN3

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My sales guy got me one when I picked up my golf, but doesn't seem to work. Shows connecting on the screen for about 2-3 seconds, starts to charge the battery, then nothing. Am I missing something? Haven't had time to go back, maybe this weekend I'll speak with them.
If you have a case on your phone, it may not be making a complete connection. My wife has a car charger that will work without her taking off the phone case but not mine.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
This is the solution I've been rolling with for years. The "Lightening" version of the MDI cable isn't compatible with most phone cases. It's close to useless.

I bought one of these for my older TDI just as Apple introduced the Lightning connector. Works for data and power in both of my TDIs.

http://a.co/aDq8WD3

vikingtdi

TDI
'11 JSW
Im taking us back on topic here folks. The point of this thread is to determine how we transfer the mmi connector in the ashtray of the 2015- models to the USB version found on 2016+ models.

I will be the guinea pig and order the chinese part from Ebay and then determine however I am little unsure if this would work simply because China calls it "car play" which is not what the 2015 models have.

Here is a link. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUX-in-USB-...998798?hash=item2f03d8bd4e:g:ReoAAOSwKytZHAN3

I've been so close to pulling trigger myself on that! Hope you're able to guinea pig that but I might end up doing so as well. It's much cleaner than several cables IMO. Please let us know how it goes.

alex97jazzblue

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BRM
I've been so close to pulling trigger myself on that! Hope you're able to guinea pig that but I might end up doing so as well. It's much cleaner than several cables IMO. Please let us know how it goes.
I have not yet ordered because i bought a new '15 for work and 2 weeks later they tell me they are giving me a focus instead of reimbursement!

WE NEED TO DETERMINE is that part will allow one to at least charge a android based phone that requires the fast charging. IF the data does not connect I am not making a fuss since the car has blue tooth. I personally am trying to eliminate the use for car charger by utilizing a retractable android usb cable.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Several folks say this works... but
I bought one of these for my older TDI just as Apple introduced the Lightning connector. Works for data and power in both of my TDIs.
http://a.co/aDq8WD3
I have that apple 30 pin to lightning adapter and the MDI to 30 pin cable that came in the 2015 GSW.
This combination does not charge my ipod, and is slow to update song info on the screen after forwarding to the next song.

I ordered VW cable 5N0-035-554-H which is the MDI to lightning and it works great, quicker to update info on the screen and it charges the ipod.

Mistakenly I was sent 5N0-035-554-G and it did not work at all, would not connect or charge.

There are a few other part numbers for various lightning adapters from VW, so don't get confused and buy any random adapter.
The 5N0-035-554-H is what works in the 2015 GSW in my experience and from my research. Nowhere did I find a clear accurate list of what cables work with which model cars, it's a mess.

Otherwise the whole idea to swap the MDI socket out for USB/aux is very interesting, I hope someone figures out what's involved.