Vw Canada rust warranty

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Here are some pictures of the rust on my Jetta. The door picture is the rear passenger door and its underneath the door strip. I touched up the upper portion of it, but after this winter its way worse :mad:

The other is the rust on the front passenger fender. I just had both front fenders "refinished" a year ago under the TSB, but I am not learning they should have replaced the fenders! :mad:

Do you think VW Canada will cover these repairs under the rust warranty (11 year I think?)

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
The current coverage is 12 yr (2009+), your MY(2001) should still be covered under that the 10 year if there is any perforation in the panels.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
It looks like it started underneath the strip as the front of it closest to the passenger front door is peeling off from the adhesive. Hopefully they will not have an issue with me touching up the paint prior. The front fenders almost seem as though when the refinished the front fenders before, that they are rubbing on the fender which is causing that issue. It looks like the driver side is doing the same thing, just not as bad at this point.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
My wifes 2002 Golf is rusting in both he same spots (pass side) on silver car looks nasty. Car was resrayed about 5 yrs ago form an accident but not sure if VW would still honor the warranty.

I'd inquire if I were you, whad'ya got to loose at this point?

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
For sure I will call up the only reputable dealer in town (Hunt Club VW) and see what they say.

stoutguru

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
If you touched it up or had it previously painted, they will not cover it in my experiences. Since the fenders no longer have the factory paint they will not cover it. They will say to go back to the place that painted it.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
The previous paint job on the front fenders was done by VW under their recall and obviously they did a crappy job.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
SheeB said:
The previous paint job on the front fenders was done by VW under their recall and obviously they did a crappy job.
In that case, don't mention to them that you touched it up at all. Do mention their previous shoddy work.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
2ManyKMfor1Tank said:
In that case, don't mention to them that you touched it up at all. Do mention their previous shoddy work.
They'll easily see the touch up but hopefuly it won't matter.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Well in the case of the passenger side door its only the little portion at the top that was touched up by me. The vast majority of the paint peeling and surface rust is the lower portion and whatever lies underneath the plastic side moulding.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Perforation is the key. No hole = no warranty, except for special cases like the front fender issue.

Simon

grcarlo

TDI
09 Jetta
Wash... rinse... repeat... Touch up every rock chip... 2-3 times a week for this VW... Rocks and salt are brutal on any vehicle.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
P2B said:
Perforation is the key. No hole = no warranty, except for special cases like the front fender issue.

Simon
Hmm, so they are likely not to cover the passenger side door then :(

Well if I am going to have to touch up that bad spot, I will have to remove the trim piece. What type of adhesive/double-sided tape are they using? Probably something reputable like 3M but what thickness so that when I re-mount it keeps flush with the passenger side front door trim.

kcb

Veteran Member
I don't have pics, but I had rust on the weld joint on the front driver door (the part under the black rubber on the A-Pillar) and they replaced the entire door. there were no "holes" and they still fixed it. I was really surprised! They have also replace my rear hitch due to rusting. Again, it was just bubbling of paint around the rear glass. no holes.

Ken

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
End of this thread is that the dealership indeed will not cover the passenger side door as they "claim" that something caused the side trim moulding peice to lift thus causing the paint peel/rust to start. Not sure exactly i could have done to lift the moulding?!

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
VW's suck and rustout, made out of recycled Cambell Soup cans and painted by Mexicans in Mexico so what do expect. My 2001 has paint falling off of it too all over the car. The front fenders are covered under warranty if the paint is coming off, at 12 o'clock high on them.

Last edited:

FLOCO

TDI
04 BORA VARIANT TDI PD
kcb said:
I don't have pics, but I had rust on the weld joint on the front driver door (the part under the black rubber on the A-Pillar) and they replaced the entire door. there were no "holes" and they still fixed it. I was really surprised! They have also replace my rear hitch due to rusting. Again, it was just bubbling of paint around the rear glass. no holes.
Ken
kcb....

On my 04 wagon I am experencing the same thing! Exact rust spots as you have described on yours. I claimed it last year at VW Alliston and the service department told me it was approved by VW, however they could not fix it as they do not have a body shop. Which dealer ship did you go to? I am making the move and going to get it done next month.
thx

booneylander

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
I'm disappointed to read this thread now as I just had the perforated rockers on a new-to-me 2000 Golf replaced by a private shop to the tune of about 1500$, when I could have tried my luck with VW (might not have gotten anything but who knows). Oh well.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
booneylander said:
I'm disappointed to read this thread now as I just had the perforated rockers on a new-to-me 2000 Golf replaced by a private shop to the tune of about 1500$, when I could have tried my luck with VW (might not have gotten anything but who knows). Oh well.
My right front rocker is rusted through too and VW (Crosby Cambirdge) turned it down. They blamed it on "porbably ice scraped the paint away and that that's what caused the corrosion".

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
SheeB said:
End of this thread is that the dealership indeed will not cover the passenger side door as they "claim" that something caused the side trim moulding peice to lift thus causing the paint peel/rust to start. Not sure exactly i could have done to lift the moulding?!
Well I took a peek behind the supposedly lifted trim piece and there is nothing that adheres at the front at all for the first couple inches then there is a plastic plug type of peice that clips into the door. After the circular clip type fastener, there is 2 way tape :confused: Sound to me that due to the fact there was nothing holding the trim piece on at the front, ofcourse it lifted and trapped water and started to surface rust :rolleyes:

I wonder if I contacted VWoC and see what they say with the pics I took?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SheeB said:
Well I took a peek behind the supposedly lifted trim piece and there is nothing that adheres at the front at all for the first couple inches then there is a plastic plug type of peice that clips into the door. After the circular clip type fastener, there is 2 way tape :confused: Sound to me that due to the fact there was nothing holding the trim piece on at the front, ofcourse it lifted and trapped water and started to surface rust :rolleyes:

I wonder if I contacted VWoC and see what they say with the pics I took?
Good luck but don't hold your breath.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Yeah, not even going to waste my precious time calling them. The car is almost 10 years old...