Rhode Island Law

Dr. Dotgain

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GL 5-speed
I heard a news blip on the radio that Rhode Island had passed an automobile emmission law patterned after California law. I'm guessing -- but not hoping -- that new diesels might not be allowed? Does anyone have more info?

Does that take effect Jan 1st 2005? -- in which case I need to buy a new Jetta Wagon 1.9 TDI or Passat Wagon 2.0 TDI before the 1st of the year or I won't ever be able to register a diesel car in RI. I was not planning to replace my 2000 Golf 1.9 TDI that ONLY has 150,000 miles. I was going to wait to get the Mk5 body with multilink rear.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Numerous additional states will be conforming to the CARB rules. Most of these states are in the NEast.

I didn't think any of these new states would be coming on board for a few years, though.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
I read in the newspaper (The World, Coos Bay, Oregon) that Oregon will be adopting California's standards.
The date wasn't really clear. Hopefully it won't be until the cleaner diesel is available. The article also mentioned that the governor would be encouraging farmers to produce crops for biodiesel.

Dr. Dotgain

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GL 5-speed
False alarm until 2008 then it's bad news for TDI purchasers in RI.

Buy now; avoid the 2008 rush. %^D

This was plucked from the RI State Law web site. Note that this law references the California law, but they do not cut-and-paste the wording, nor does the web site provide a copy of the CA law.

37.2 Applicability

37.2.1 The Department hereby adopts the sections of the California Low
Emission Vehicle program applicable to passenger cars and light duty trucks
under Title 13 CCR.

37.2.2 This regulation shall apply to all 2008 model year and subsequent model
year passenger cars and light duty trucks sold, leased, offered for sale or lease,
imported, delivered, purchased, rented, acquired, received, or registered in the
State of Rhode Island.

37.3 Emissions Requirements and Credits
37.3.1 No person shall sell, import, deliver, purchase, lease, rent, acquire,
receive, or register a new vehicle subject to this regulation in the State of Rhode
Island that has not received a CARB Executive Order for all applicable
requirements of Title 13 CCR 1900, 1960.1, 1960.5, 1961, 1962, 1962.1, 1965,
1968.1, 1968.2, 1968.5, 1976, 1978, 2037, 2038, 2062, 2101, 2111, and 2235

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, you guys there in R.I. have time to elect a new legislature ......... one that understands reality.

Do you really think there is enough land to grow food and fuel for Rhode Islanders in R.I.?

alex wetmore

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Washington state (where I live) is also talking about such a law.

In 2007 we won't have diesels anywhere if the manufacturers can't solve the NOx issues. If they do then we'll get them everywhere, including CA. CARB is pushing for lower CO2 emissions which is something that diesels (especially when using biodiesel) are better at than most gasoline cars.

I don't think that other states following CA emissions standards is a bad thing. I personally think that the limitation on selling diesels in CA is a temporary concern, not a permanent one.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, its strange how the "environmental" thing happens. We pass laws, regulations, standards, etc., to cut certain emissions, then nature's volcanos let-out a birp and wipes out everything that has been accomplished. But, that's nature and it doesn't count.

blitzoid

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue '02 Golf GLS TDI
Andy - the volcanos are out of our control. Vehicle emmissions, however, are not.

Go spend a week or two, mid-summer, in LA, and you'll see why the folks in CA are concerned. My sister lives out there, and on a "bad" day, she can't see more than two miles, due to the smog. The health implications are enormous.

I agree, that CARB unfairly bans diesels, but I think tough emmissions standards are a good idea. I'm not saying that keeping TDIs from the market solves this problem, far from it, but the concerns about CO2 and NoX levels carry some weight, just not enough to counter the wonderful efficiency of a diesel engine and the potential of BioD, in my mind.

IF (and this is a big if) manufacturers just step up to the plate and add particulate filters, and other similar technologies, I would think there should be no problem importing 50-state diesels using 2006 fuel.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
I also heard that Oregon would be following California as far as CARB laws.

Wouldn't go into effect until 2009.

My car should be just about broken in by then!

Keli

deadrx7conv

Its still a free country. You choose where you want to live. As for LA smog, its been there since before automobiles. What does "Bahia de los Fumos" mean?
If you don't like the smog, MOVE!
Whatever happened to mandatory electric cars in California? Oh, it took an electricity shortage to dump that poor thinking.

Politicians are fools, especially in RI. The MTBE oxygenated fuels are polluting our wells. Can't drink my water but I'm still breathing.

What about total pollution? Drilling/refining/shipping/....diesel vs gasoline? vs instant political gratification? I'd rather burn 1 gallon of diesel over 2 gallons of gasoline----1/2 as much fuel needed, 1/2 the time spent at the pumps, 1/2 as much fuel being shipped and refined, less lines at the fueling station, optional US made biodiesel, 1/2 the oil/filter changes, 1/2 as many quickee lube visits,................and incredible high speed(80mph) MPG's that hybrids and gasoline vehicles can't touch in real world driving

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep, I was in California in 1980, 1982 and 1984 vacationing. Smog was bad then too! I haven't been back since and probably never will return.

In 1984 we finished visiting all the states in the USA except Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, and Nebraska.

We set our sites on Alaska that year (1984) and have been up that way seven times. Sometime down thru the years since, we have visited the remainder of the states except for Hawaii.

After that first trip in 1986 to Alaska, I have been hooked. In fact, upon retirement, I plan to spend a lot of time up the Alaskan Hiway.

So, I feel for the folks in California and else where that have the smog problems. I will not be contributing to their problems.