Possible "grease like" substance on rear wheels.

Local2ED

TDI
2005 Jetta
I have a early 2005 Jetta. On my rear wheels I have a black substance on the outside of the rims. I know what brake dust looks and feels like, powdery and dry, but this stuff has somewhat of a greasy feel to it. The strange thing is the substance doesn't appear on the inside of the wheel.

The brake fluid is not low.
The tires were recently rotated at Firestone and no mention was made of it.
There are no strange noises coming from the rear axle.
This appears to coincide with new tires I had installed. (First rotation just done at 5000 miles).

Does this indicate upcoming rear wheel bearing failure?
Car has 164k on it and I've owned it since 2007 and never had to put rear bearings on it or have see this substance before on the wheels.

Thanks.

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Sounds like that Tire Shine stuff was used. If the bearing seals failed, you would hear lots of grinding while driving.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Tire tech's may have been sloppy with the mounting lube. Seems like you would have noticed that sooner, though.

Local2ED

TDI
2005 Jetta
I thought it might have something to do with the tires themselves but before the rotation only the rears had this substance on them and after the rotation only the rears have the substance again.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Put some of it on your tongue.....roll it around in your mouth. Does it taste like petroleum or rubber? Do a second dose just to make sure you know...…...get back with the verdict.