best replacement battery?

thos.cook

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Hi.

Beginning to experience hard start issues when cold. Battery seems to be on it's last leg. I'm willing to spend some money on a good battery. Which battery or batteries have made it to your short list?

Thanks!

Thomas

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Brand is not as important as specs and warranty .....we have been installing the highest cold cranking amps group 49 batteries we can find in our alh's for many years.

The group 49 battery is larger in size and cranking amps and you will need to remove the original box/insulated wrap and throw it away, otherwise they fit fine and have considerally more "crankability"!

These batteries usualy cost little or no more than the original.

Highly recomend this mod for cold climates!

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Guessin this is a dumb question but where do I find the group 49 battery? I'd prefer to avoid the dealerships..

Thanks,

Thomas
local battery shops or auto parts stores....look in the yellow pages start calling around ask for prices on group 49 batteries and what their cold cranking amps are.
good luck

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok one more...what CCA am I looking for? I live in fairly cold winters..
Just checked my group 49 and it is 850cca.
The original group 94R are usualy 640cca.

NOTE
Make sure that if you are comparing cca's not to have someone quote you the ca rating instead. They are not the same measurement!

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
The OE battery is usually recommended. Seems to be price comparable to other equivalent batteries.
Due to this website, I went the dealer route as well. My new battery stinks though and will need to be replaced before winter (should have last winter).

I think the brains around here determined that the OE supplier changed.

My next battery will be the Duracell 94R from Sam's Club. Do a search on here for the thread.

tjsean0308

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV wagon 5spd graphite blue
Costco has Johnson controls batteries. They just rebranded to Interstate which I have always had great luck with. I read on here though that the AH rating is just if not more important than the CCA for our batteries. Haven't had to do a battery in my car yet. I run the diehard platinum in my jeep it has been only ok had to get the first one replaced under warranty.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Like others said, CCA means little to us. The amp hour rating is what really matters it should be 80+.

Is it at least a size 94R?

DeanOusterhout

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, sold the 2000 golf and jetta
I have been getting Interstate "Blems" for many years. And, I get a larger than necessary size.

The cost varies, but the last ones I got at the outlet in Norfolk, VA were about $55.00 per battery.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
The thread I am thinking of but I don't feel like looking for it, but people said the dealer was quite resonable because people were happy how long the VW Battery lasted.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
From their features page:
Originally developed for military aircraft where performance and reliability are paramount, AGM technology provides extra energy to run all the power hungry electronics in today's vehicles
Actually, I believe the primary reason they are used in aircraft is because they do not leak if the battery case has a leak due to damage (or flown upside down ;)). Acid and aircraft aluminum do not go together.

As for the second part, the battery is not a factor; the alternator is. It can either keep up with demands or it can't.

Where does CTC come up with such crap?

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
I used advance auto parts with coupon code(worthless without code) I beleive it was the 94r size. Coming into my second year..

Sadly I have to go to walmart for the mercedes...