Low power, rough idle

1Crew

TDI
2005 Jetta 200000 mi, 2009 F-350 Powerstroke
I found a steal on a 2001 Jetta with a bad 01M tranny, swapped in a 5speed and overall have been happy with the result except for two items. The car has always had a very rough idle, and the power falls off sharply over 3000 RPM. It has enough power to drive ok but when accelerating you can feel the boost come in then just as it starts pulling good, it goes flat. I took it to a friends shop and scanned it, the engine light was on as well, and the only two codes that came up were glow plug and metered injection out of range. Checked timing as well and it kept jumping out of range. It would show 38 then jump to 0 then back to 38. Moved the pump and it would jump from 38 to 105 then back to 38. Finally found a sweet spot where it stayed at 38 and left it there. Searched the forum and figured out a hammer mod should fix the idle. Did that last night and got the idle problem fixed but made the power problem worse. Tried back and forth a few times and if I get the power back, I get the rough idle. If I get the idle smooth, the power goes away. Help!