Bought a 2001 Jetta TDI Automatic with Issues

drseth

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Automatic
Hi,

I found a 2001 Jetta TDI Automatic with 211k miles for $1800, with new tires, larger than stock injectors, Larger than stock turbo, 10K miles since timing belt/ steel water pump, Bluetooth stereo, new AC compressor. It also has a Boost gauge on the top of steering column. It also has an EGR delete. The reason so cheap is because ATF is getting in the coolant, causing the AT to start slipping due to insufficient ATF. I decided to take it to a shop that specializes in TDIs to go over things. I think it needs a new radiator, transmission flush, and coolant flush.

The test drive went well. The engine started right up and sounded good, and the transmission shifted through the gears ok. The seller recently bought a Mercedes E320 Diesel and just decided he didn't feel like repairing it.

I had my son-in-law test drive it with me, since he has a 2001 Jetta TDI 5 speed with 250K miles and was more knowledgeable than me on the TDI.

I am waiting to hear from the shop with what the car needs to work correctly.

Any thoughts/suggestions as to anything I need to the car beyond what I am planning?

Seth Anderson
Moon, VA

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just hope the transmission isn't ruined. If so it is either full replacement or swap to a manual setup. Both cost about the same. This auto isn't known for holding up well and if it dies, rebuilds aren't recommended, so replacement or swap. Good luck!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sounds like you have a pretty good list going. I would also check the condition of the various suspension wear items like boots, ball joints, and mounts.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
If coolant is getting in the atf the only thing that can be bad is the transmission cooler on top of the trans.

fnj2

Veteran Member
If coolant has reached the ATF it is curatains for the transmission. Period. I had this happen in an Audi 5000TD and they took the whole transmission to pieces and replaced just about everything under warranty. It must have cost way more than a whole new transmission would have cost. The dealer service manager swore he would never do that again.

The repair lasted long enough to get well out of warranty, but the tranny still croaked at around 100,000 miles. The next time I replaced it with a reman tranny. It was still going strong at 130,000-something when a guy driving home from a hospital stay slammed into the back at 40-50 mph while I was stopped, blinking for a left turn.

binky973

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
definitly the cooler, depends how long it's been driven with coolant in the tranny, and how worn the clutch packs are from it... if it needs to be rebuilt it would be cheaper to go 5spd

drseth

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Automatic
I spoke to the mechanic yesterday, and he said he thought it was the oil cooler, not the tranny cooler. The flange on the side on the engine is also leaking, so he is replacing that. He checked the ATF and it was not milky. Guess I am going to need to drive it some to see how the transmission acts. It shifted ok on the test drive and on the 15 mile drive on the interstate to the shop. The PO said his wife told him the car shifted funny! Not sure what that means.

If oil still gets into the coolant, could it be the Tranny cooler or a head gasket, right?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Keep your eye out for delayed reverse engagement, false neutrals, rough torque converter engagement, flared shifts (revving between gears), and other undesired characteristics.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Look up posts by CoolAirVW. The 01M tranny is a funny beast. Usually the valve body starts to fail leading to hard part failures if not addressed. Many 01Ms have failed this way and given it a bad reputation. I've got 240K on my 03 Jetta auto, thanks to CoolAirVW's warnings on what to look for and having him rebuild the VB 100K ago.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Look up posts by CoolAirVW. The 01M tranny is a funny beast. Usually the valve body starts to fail leading to hard part failures if not addressed. Many 01Ms have failed this way and given it a bad reputation. I've got 240K on my 03 Jetta auto, thanks to CoolAirVW's warnings on what to look for and having him rebuild the VB 100K ago.
There's nothing funny (or good) about the 01M automatic. But, CoolAirVw is the go to guy for their issues.
Put a manual in it and be done messing around and spending money on it.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
There's nothing funny (or good) about the 01M automatic. But, CoolAirVw is the go to guy for their issues.
Put a manual in it and be done messing around and spending money on it.
Cough bullcrap cough.

Where is the 01M love? :(

But as above, if coolant got into the trans, even for 5 mins, its done. Coolant dissolves the clutch glue so yeah, its a mess.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
And ATF in the cooling system won't be gentle to the hoses, either. Maybe the OP will be lucky. VW is certainly proud of those rubber hoses!