Grease in bell howsing

duffer

TDI
2004 Champaign Beige -1998 White
Grease in bell housing

This is going to sound strange, but here goes. I have a 2006 TDI, 59,000 miles. The clutch has felt odd for about 10,000 miles, not noisy, but a little ruff feeling when starting out in 1st gear. Two days ago it started making a loud metalic noise, so I parked it and ordered a new clutch kit. I've done front wheel drive clutches before, so I wasn't shy about doing the work. I pulled the transmission and was shocked to see that the bell housing was packed with chasis grease, it probably had about a pound of grease in there. I bought this car new and other than five free oil changes from the VW dealer that I purchased it from, I have changed all my own oil. No one else has been under this car. Anyone have an idea how all this grease got in there? I have my own theory, but I would like to here from you. Thanks

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
duffer said:
This is going to sound strange, but here goes. I have a 2006 TDI, 59,000 miles. The clutch has felt odd for about 10,000 miles, not noisy, but a little ruff feeling when starting out in 1st gear. Two days ago it started making a loud metalic noise, so I parked it and ordered a new clutch kit. I've done front wheel drive clutches before, so I wasn't shy about doing the work. I pulled the transmission and was shocked to see that the bell housing was packed with chasis grease, it probably had about a pound of grease in there. I bought this car new and other than five free oil changes from the VW dealer that I purchased it from, I have changed all my own oil. No one else has been under this car. Anyone have an idea how all this grease got in there? I have my own theory, but I would like to here from you. Thanks
Can you post a picture of this? I am most curious as to what this looks like.

--Nate

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
It may be fuel oil from the tandem pump above, engine oil from crank seal or gear oil leaking from the input shaft of the tranny. It then mixes with clutch dust to make a paste. I don't think engine oil would go there, but the other two might.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Grease from the DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) is a definite possibility.

Were you planning to replace the DMF?

Does your DMF still function properly? Center properly? Not move about freely? Or is it stuck to one side (flywheel to crank bolts not accessible?)

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
It is most likely from the DMF. Seen it more than a few times right along with metal debris like spring parts.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Odd rough feeling clutch + metallic noise + grease in bellhousing = definite DMF failure.

Replace with a SMF clutch setup.

duffer

TDI
2004 Champaign Beige -1998 White
Thanks for all of the good replies. I already put in the Sachs G60/ VR6 SMF clutch kit. The car hasn't driven this nice for a long time, a big thumbs up for the single mass flywheel and heavier clutch disk. I can't post pictures of the old parts, I had to clean the flywheel up to locate the timing mark and transfer it to the new flywheel. I will say that other than all of the grease, the DMF, clutch and preasure plate all looked perfect. There was no obvious signs of anything leaking anywhere. I had to use a putty knife to scrape grease off the inside of the bell housing, a half inch thick in some places. The starter ring was solid grease, couldn't even see the teeth on the ring.

AnnaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf 5-spd [BEW]
I know this is a long dormant forum - but i'm gonna chime in anyway.

just replaced my oem DMF, went with a SMF kit from Valeo. i did find grease in the housing, but for different reasons - PO let the engine leak a terrible amount of oil for what must be multiple years, and eventually it made its way into the housing! :0 i think the clutch went for a combo of reasons, [it got to 105k on the original clutch] but the oil leak definitely made it worse.