The Garrett GT2052 aka "Look Ma, No Vanes!"

JetPo

TDI
Audi A4 B6 TDI
Do you know on what motor your turbo is normaly made for ? Because i found GT2052 that came from a Transporter TDI but it dosent have the same hot side as yours ?

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
Went for a ride with Chris at fest.
Car feels strong, compared to my jetta it starts pulling around 2000 and just keeps on pullin' up thru the revs!
Whereas my jetta feels strong right where it spikes and then just tapers off towards 3000 and is kinda 'flat' at 4k.

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
My IQ is set at 2.6-2.8, and I still barely get any smoke. I feel like there is a lot more power to be had from this turbo, and I am limited by fueling. The PP 764's may just not be quite enough. Wishing I went to Race 520's like so many others. I don't want my car to soot like a train but feel like no/not much smoke means I am still running a bit lean...I am thinking of trying some HFLOX nozzles, but the sizing is so weird I am not sure what to get..I would rather not get undersized nozzles again! I would prefer setting the IQ number higher to get rid of smoke over setting it wicked low to get some smoke!!
Warp 3 or Warp 5??

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
GTiTDi,

I'm running WARP3 right now and will be installing WARP5 tonight if I have time.
WARP 3 are approximately the same size as PP764, WARP5 should be a hair smaller than R520.

Get tuned for whatever nozzle you're running and you shouldn't soot.

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Who makes a good EMP gauge? I am curious to see how high it gets, trying to figure out how efficient this turbo is. I tried searching a couple times, but figured I would try asking.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I don't think many make "EMP" specific gauges. Most use 40 or 60psi gauges. I'd get double the pressure you plan on running for boost.

Some recommend liquid filled, I think those are dampened too much and would not get a filled gauge.

I haven't personally used one but I'd like to at some point.

GTiTDi

TDI
I don't think many make "EMP" specific gauges. Most use 40 or 60psi gauges. I'd get double the pressure you plan on running for boost.

Some recommend liquid filled, I think those are dampened too much and would not get a filled gauge.

I haven't personally used one but I'd like to at some point.
That's it huh? Sweet I already have a gauge I could use...I think I will put a port on the block off plate on my exhaust manifold...

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Make sure you use hard copper or SS line to get away from the exhaust manifold a few feet.

GTiTDi

TDI
Make sure you use hard copper or SS line to get away from the exhaust manifold a few feet.
Yes that is logical isn't it! Don't want rubber hoses melting!

Well I think I already came up with a gauge and some plumbing...CO pickup tube from an old 16V ought to work! The bend actually will help the tube clear the heater hoses! Meant to be!

gauge should be fine for the purpose I think..

The threaded adapter fitting will be easy to install into my exhaust manifold block off plate

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
EMP gauge works but is hard to read! The needle spazzes like crazy! I need to ride with a co-driver that can monitor the gauge a little better , but the EMP seems to be nearly double what ever boost pressure it is at. I am assuming that is normal.

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Double? not normal. 1:1 is healthy normal.
Like I said, I really need to have someone go with me to watch the gauge. My G/F is home now so I will have her ride with me. My car boosts to 28 psi plus and the highest I saw the EMP gauge go was 45 psi or so.

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Well after getting a more accurate reading the highest indicated EMP is 40 psi at +/-30psi of boost. After stuffing the feed hose with cotton swab the needle doesn't spazz out any more..Same trick cured my buzzing boost gauge...
EMP seems to be better than I initially thought. I remember seeing some casting flash left over from manufacturing in the waste gate port that should be dressed down.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hey,

EMP gauge works but is hard to read! The needle spazzes like crazy!
Another trick that works to cure this is to place a small fuel filter inline with the gauge. It absorbs the pulses. But if the cotton works... :cool:

Scott

GTiTDi

TDI
Another trick that works to cure this is to place a small fuel filter inline with the gauge. It absorbs the pulses. But if the cotton works... :cool:
Scott
I tried a small inline fuel filter but it didn't dampen the pressure pulses as much as the cotton gauze. ;)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I was going to tell you that the undamped gauge will be difficult to read due to all the pressure pulses in the exhaust manifold but you figured that out already. Use a glycerin filled gauge and you won't have any troubles. Cotton gauze will not last long and a restrictor/orifice will clog with soot and really slow things down, then unclog and buzz like crazy - been there, done that.

A lower range gauge would be much easier to read as well - get a 40-60 psi gauge like jfettig said above. Glycerin filled gauges can be found at any hydrauilc supply store (Parker, Aeroquip, etc) for $20-30 and will last more/less forever.

GTiTDi

TDI
I was going to tell you that the undamped gauge will be difficult to read due to all the pressure pulses in the exhaust manifold but you figured that out already. Use a glycerin filled gauge and you won't have any troubles. Cotton gauze will not last long and a restrictor/orifice will clog with soot and really slow things down, then unclog and buzz like crazy - been there, done that.

A lower range gauge would be much easier to read as well - get a 40-60 psi gauge like jfettig said above. Glycerin filled gauges can be found at any hydrauilc supply store (Parker, Aeroquip, etc) for $20-30 and will last more/less forever.
Good idea! Even with the gauze, it buzzes like hell under full boost! The needle is steady though, so at least for now it is functional.

I am pulling my Turbo back off to clean up the casting of the hot side, notably the wall of flash in the waste gate port...I will take a pic once it is off...
And while it is off I plan on drawing up my home-made turbo adapter with a buddy of mine who is an engineer at WHOI and an expert with CAD programs...I designed it the old fashioned way...trial and error and cardboard templates!!

GTiTDi

TDI
So here are the pics of the casting flash left over by Garrett. Quality control must be tough, especially after a visit to the pub on break time....
view from turbine inlet

waste gate side

And after some cleaning with a de-burring bit

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Well cleaning up the waste gate port and the turbo inlet seems to have helped. EMP is only 5+/- psi higher than boost now rather than 10+ psi....Also on the full throttle run I just took it on in a light rain EGT didn't even touch 1,000*F....Spinning tires most of the time since the pavement is wet!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I met up with Chris on the Cape today, and he was kind enough to let me drive the GTI. I've always been a MKII fan, so it was a treat. The fit and finish on the conversion is impressive, as many of you know, and the car drives and handles well, despite a bit of tire rubbing. He's working on that, as he's not a member of the 'if you're not rubbing, you're not dubbing' club.

But the big surprise is the turbo and the way the engine pulls. I have never driven an AHU as responsive and powerful as this one. I'd been told the 20/52 is quick to spool up, but in use it's unbelievable, as fast as a VNT-15. Smoke, free, too, even with PP764s. The roads were damp when we were out this morning, so it took some restraint to not spin the front wheels, even in 3rd. And it doesn't run out of breath at higher revs like this engine does with the stock turbo. Nice.

MKIIs are the perfect size VW, IMO, and are known to be the best handling. That combo with a great running diesel is hard to beat. Nice work, Chris.

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
Fabrication drawings

Just wanted to add my voice: I love this project!

I was gonna ask you about the adapter plate schematics and such, but it looks like you are already planning on making those available at some point. I'm looking forward to it. Now if only my gt15 would quietly die and give me the excuse to pick up a 2052...