01M fluid capacity/change

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
I had my 01M flushed at an independent VW/MB shop at 100K. They did not change the filter. Now at 155K, I am "flushing" my 01M myself with multiple changes. My drain amounts seem low compared to the 3.0 or so most folks quote. Unfortunately, when I drained it cold the first time, I had the front up on ramps, so the drip method was invalid. Fluid looked fine, a bit dark, but still plenty red. magnet had some very fine black "goop" on it, but nothing I would consider excessive. No chunks or pieces:).

I dropped the pan (cold) and got 2.3 L total out. new filter, filled w/ 2.3 L

drove 10 miles, drained hot. 0.65L with tube in, 0.7L after removing tube, 0.8L after 3 hours of dripping/draining (2.15L total). filled w/ 2.15L

drove 10 miles, 0.6L w/ tube in, 0.75 with plug removed, 1.0L overnight drain/drip. filled w/ 2.35L

drove 10 miles. draining for fourth time right now.

Any thoughts on this "low" drainage volume?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
sdeck said:
Fluid looked fine, a bit dark, but still plenty red.
Yeah, I've got thoughts on this: if the shop isn't going to put the correct fluid in there, they probably aren't going to do the correct procedure when filling. ;)

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
greengeeker said:
Yeah, I've got thoughts on this: if the shop isn't going to put the correct fluid in there, they probably aren't going to do the correct procedure when filling. ;)
They used the BG synthetic ATF. I've heard good things about it and it seems to have been good for the past 50K.

I just finished the 4th fill, hooked up the VCDS, started it up, and ran it through the gears a few times until the ATF temp hit 33C. When I took out the drain plug (not the red level tube), fluid started pouring out. About 250 mL came out before I put the plug back in, It was just stopping draining when I plugged it.

So here's the rub. If it was overfilled from the shop 2 years ago, then why did I only get 2.3 L out each drain? If they underfilled it, then why is it coming out when I pull the plug?

Last edited:

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Sdeck -- you should have had them change the strainer. (you referred to it as a filter)

I just did mine also. The transmission is supposed to hold 5.3 Liters of fluid. I only drained about two liters, and it dripped about 1/2 a liter more out after I dropped the pan. I saw a noticeable amount of sludgey shaving looking stuff all around the pan. The rectangular magnet on the bottom of the pan was covered. The fluid smelled burned.

Also changed the strainer. It's not a filter, its a strainer. I'll disassemble the little POS and post some pics when it stops raining in case anyone is curious what it looks like. The guy at the dealership called it a strainer and recommended that I wash it out and reuse it. I didn't go that route.

Last edited:

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
It looks like a filter, not a strainer. I replaced it this time, but the shop did the work 2 years ago. I drove it a few miles after leveling it with the VCDS, Seems fine. Here is the pan after I dropped it. This pan had not been off the car for 155K.

The gold, flcky stuff is an artifact from the flash or something. wasn't there in real life

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
jaydogg007 said:
It's not a filter, its a strainer.
Its a filter. Search my threads you'll find a few filters broken open, proving they are indeed filters.

The torque converter traps about half the fluid capacity of the trans. If its allready been flushed then you probably dont need to flush again. But overkill never hurts, I suppose. The multiple drain thing works to a certain extent.

Last edited:

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
The flush was 55K ago. I calculated about 90% new fluid with 4 drain/fills. Took a while as each drain took 3 hours or more to drain the last 800 mLs or so thru the filter. Then buttoning up, driving, draining.

Broke the anti-tamper red cap. Figure I don't need it as plug locks on.

New stuff smells nasty. Glad I'm done.

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
CoolAirVw said:
Its a filter. Search my threads you'll find a few filters broken open, proving they are indeed filters.

The torque converter traps about half the fluid capacity of the trans. If its allready been flushed then you probably dont need to flush again. But overkill never hurts, I suppose. The multiple drain thing works to a certain extent.
Filter it is.

I'm going to flush it this week. I guess there's a how-to somewheres? I'll look around.

Thanks

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
sdeck said:
The gold, flcky stuff is an artifact from the flash or something. wasn't there in real life
Sounds like you got wishful thinking. YOu didn't look into the pan with a flashlight so you didn't see it. Now you look into the picture that had a flash and you see it.

sdeck said:
Broke the anti-tamper red cap. Figure I don't need it as plug locks on.
You probably should get yourself one. They're cheap. Know what happens when that black plug pops out?

jaydogg007 said:
I guess there's a how-to somewheres?
Here's the how to...

http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/drivbiwire/Auto%20Fluid%20change%20procedure/01M%204%20Speed%20Automatic%20Fluid%20change%20Procedure.pdf

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked pretty hard. Cleaned the pan with white towels and checked them as well. Nothing but very fine black and dark gray mush.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to Frank06 and 2004StarwarsTDi for getting me straightened out. You need to check the fluid at the correct temp AND WITH THE CAR RUNNING! When the Bentley's said to get the fluid to temp, then lift and level the car, I assumed you should shut it off.

It took another 850 mL tonight

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Fyi, I took apart a 01m today and noticed gold dust in the pan. Its just slight wear on the "brass" bushings in the differential. Probably not much to worry about.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess this is a case where gold "dust" is better than "nuggets".

Thanks CoolAirVw