Stock or Stage 2 colt?

02VWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Volkswagen Jetta
I'm changing the cam and lifters on my alh, I've read up on it but haven't quite found the answers I've been looking for. I understand a cam with no head work is a waste of money, i plan on getting the head redone (no porting or polishing) just cleaned up. I figured since the work is already going to be there why not? What is the main difference between a stock ALH cam and a stage 2 colt?

I was curious with the stock cams sold on idparts and kerma are any of them regrinds or are they new?

Thank you.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Kerma is selling regrinds as far as I am aware. I believe they can get new ones too.

I have a new Stage 2 in my build. Didn't run it with the stock cam so I can't say what effect it has but I've got a great engine. :)

Even without head work additional duration still provides more air. It's just hard to find anyone willing to pay to dyno an engine with a new stock cam and then again with a new Stage 2 cam, so there aren't really any dyno sheets out there to show the effects.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
If for no other reason, it drops egt's. And you have peace of mind knowing you have a quality product in there.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I'd stay with a stock cam - no appreciable benefit on a more/less stock engine with any bolt on hardware and they cost a lot more.

Same LSA, same intake centerline, same exhaust centerline, a couple more degrees longer duration on both intake and exhaust, slightly more lift ~0.020" so there's really not much changed.

I've had both stock and Colt II and the difference was minimal with a slight loss of lower RPM power on the Colt II on my modified ALH. I advanced the cam timing ~6 degrees to help make up for the longer duration.

02VWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Volkswagen Jetta
alright and what would be the best company to insure im not getting a reground, im looking more at idparts for their wider selection

Thank you.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I don't know - I'd work with your vendor of choice to get what you want. Peter and his team at IDParts are good to work with in my experience.

Looks like a new cam on IDParts website, but I'd call to confirm. Generally speaking, ALH cam's are pretty robust - just be sure to get good lifters and do a proper break in.

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
Thanks a lot for input and advice, really much appreciated
You're in Canada,if you decide to buy or go ahead with the stage II Cam,call and buy directly from Colt.He answered every question I had.
With taxes and shipping,mine was still cheaper than buying from a vendor.
Hope that helps.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Picked up a stage II from Colt, figured for a few bucks more, why not.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
I did the stg2 because I had to rebuild my head after a timing belt jumped a tooth or two. Valves weren't hurt, but still got em done. Pistons didn't even have a mark, but the lifters did take the shock of the damage. Can't tell if the colt changed anything, if anything probably helps VE at the higher rpm. My cam timing is almost neutral, with a tiny bit of advance (I figured as the belt ages it will drift to zero?).

The Colt stg2 cam on my alh is holding up well. I just upgraded to the ARP TDI headstuds and took a look at the cam and lifters. They both look very good, lifters (I went with the normal non-nitrided lifters) are doing the circular pattern which means they are properly turning to spread wear.

(Just so you know in advance, the "flat" sides of the cam will show a weird coloring but that was found to be normal as the process colt uses to modify the cam causes this. If I can find the thread I will post it.)

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Just did mine today, hard to say if the improvement isn't because I have all the cylinders working but she's smooth, more power and simply gets up and goes. Very very happy.