www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 25th, 2003, 10:53   #1
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
 
paramedick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Versailles, Kentucky
Default .205s in the A4

For those that have the .205s as their only mod.

How is the smoke? and power?

Is the something the dealer can detect when dealing with warranty issues?

Thanks
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 11:30   #2
Davin
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: L.A.
Default .205s in the A4

PP520s and stock chip:



Power is good, check out the plot. Definitely noticeable.

There is some smoke at WOT. Not too noticeable during the daytime, but definitely a haze at night with headlights behind. YMMV depending on the tune of your car and fuel quality. I also find that if I drive with little throttle (puttering around town or long periods of highway cruising) soot gradually builds in the exhaust... the first time I floor it from a stoplight the exhaust belches out a large cloud.

So... a little more boost would be good. Do a electronic boost bleed (cheep) or get a rocketchip ($$$) to deal with that if the soot concerns you.

Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 17:41   #3
B100
Veteran Member
 
B100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Berkeley, Eastbania
TDI(s): 2003 Golf
Default .205s in the A4

[ QUOTE ]
Davin said:
Power is good, check out the plot. Definitely noticeable.

There is some smoke at WOT. Not too noticeable during the daytime, but definitely a haze at night with headlights behind. YMMV depending on the tune of your car and fuel quality. I also find that if I drive with little throttle (puttering around town or long periods of highway cruising) soot gradually builds in the exhaust... the first time I floor it from a stoplight the exhaust belches out a large cloud.

So... a little more boost would be good. Do a electronic boost bleed (cheep) or get a rocketchip ($$$) to deal with that if the soot concerns you.

[/ QUOTE ]Davin, is that plot for a stock motor with just the .205 nozzles, no other tweaks to the computer? Injection quantities, are still at stock? I just put on Bosch .205 injectors (from the RedRotors buy) but have done nothing else to the car. No smoke that I can detect, car drives fine... do I need to go in with Vag-COM and tweak injection quatities?
B100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 18:43   #4
Davin
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: L.A.
Default .205s in the A4

Yes, stock motor, .205 nozzles, stock chip.

If your car runs fine and you have no smoke problems, then IQ adjustment isn't necessary. IIRC mine was in the 3s after the install.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 02:25   #5
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member
 
FlyTDI Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: PNW
Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41
Default .205s in the A4

Be advised that the PP520's and the RedRotors .205's are not exactly the same thing by any means. The Bosio nozzles are .215 mm and the Bosch more like .194 mm (IIRC). A significant difference in ID and amount of fueling no doubt. As for the Bosch .205's, w/stock ECU, you will smoke a bit under WOT but 95% of your driving will be smoke free. As for added power, from looking at Davin's dyno, I'd have to say the PP520's do better than the .205's. I would imagine they smoke too under a heavy foot. No large adjustments of IQ are necessary w/.205's. A reduction from 32768 to 32740-something is more than enough to take the haze off of most situations ... At 100% load, expect to see some haze regardless... Not trying to cross Davin in any way. This has just been my experience.

As for the dealer spotting them. You will notice a small dot of paint on both your old and new injectors. On .184's the dot should be yellow. On the .205's, it will be blue. I'm sure that is for quick identification of the injectors without having to look up the number when handling them. Based on that, it's pretty easy to spot who's who under the hood. On the other hand, it would seem grossly apparent that most VW techs don't have much, if any, knowledge about TDI's so I wouldn't worry too much about it...
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 04:46   #6
dieseldorf
top post dawg
 
dieseldorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: MA
Default .205s in the A4

[ QUOTE ]
FlyTDI Guy said:
On the other hand, it would seem grossly apparent that most VW techs don't have much, if any, knowledge about TDI's so I wouldn't worry too much about it...

[/ QUOTE ]

dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 09:46   #7
Davin
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: L.A.
Default .205s in the A4

[ QUOTE ]
FlyTDI Guy said:
As for the dealer spotting them. You will notice a small dot of paint on both your old and new injectors. On .184's the dot should be yellow. On the .205's, it will be blue. I'm sure that is for quick identification of the injectors without having to look up the number when handling them. Based on that, it's pretty easy to spot who's who under the hood.


[/ QUOTE ]

of course, if you install new nozzles on your old injector bodies nobody will be able to tell without pulling the injectors and looking at the nozzle part numbers! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't remember seeing any colored dots on my OEM injectors, tho... coudl just be old age getting to me.


Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 12:17   #8
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
 
paramedick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Versailles, Kentucky
Default .205s in the A4

Thanks for the replies.

The wife's mew Golf is about to get it's third mod.

I might even tell her about it! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 13:28   #9
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member
 
FlyTDI Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: PNW
Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41
Default .205s in the A4

She's a lucky girl...
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2020, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.14751 seconds with 12 queries
[Output: 86.81 Kb. compressed to 74.11 Kb. by saving 12.70 Kb. (14.63%)]