www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old August 30th, 2003, 08:53   #1
Skydigger

Default Smoke problems

I recently had to replace my MAF. Since I'm not a millionaire, I went with the 2.0 MAF. I have an Upsolute chip and with the previous MAF I had NO smoke. With the 2.0 MAF in my car I think I have killed 3 people due to asphixia (sp?).

I'm looking for any suggestions on how to reduce the smoke. I've heard of upping that value (lowering the quantity of fuel (IQ adjustment via VAG-COM) and heard of but never found any write-ups/how-to's on the hammer mod.

If anyone can provide me any information (preferrably with how-to's) I'd be greatly appreciative.

Happy driving.
Skydigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 10:26   #2
TurbineTech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Default Smoke problems

Suggestios? OK...get rid of the 2-slow MAF (it's known to cause smoke) and keep it in your trunk for backup. Personally, I would not want to try to make a bunch of adjustments to compensate for an incorrect part, especially with a chip which compounds the smoke. But yeah, higher IQ might help. I think the "hammer mod" allows reaching a higher IQ number-but I have not really looked into it that much. I've heard of the 2.0 MAF thowing CEL's as well

TurbineTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 13:18   #3
Skydigger

Default Smoke problems

Thanks for the info. I'm not going to go out and purchase a part for $500+ when I can get something almost the same for $100-. I'll see if I can tweak it a little and save $400.

I think you may have me confused with someone else. I've never done a TB change and personally the thought scares me. I also haven't made any posts (unles I did something I'm unaware of) in any FAQ section.

Any other ideas and comments are welcome.

Skydigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 13:26   #4
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41
Default Smoke problems

You may want to check out THIS thread... You may also want to consider a Pierburg MAF like so many others have. I have a 2.0 and it's relegated to the trunk as a backup. Same probs... Too much smoke and poor mileage...
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 13:38   #5
TurbineTech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Default Smoke problems

Yup, I must have had a brain fart there....I had two posts in mind when I responded, and have edited my earlier response.

Good luck
TurbineTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 18:36   #6
Nicks99golf

TDI(s): 99 Golf Blue
Default Smoke problems

FLYTDIGUY.. Did you ever do the resistor mod with the 2.0l maf..Does it work just as good as the tdi maf???
Nicks99golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 21:55   #7
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41
Default Smoke problems

Nope... I run a Pierburg and love it. Just a steer to an inexpensive solution if you are going to continue using the 2.0. Curiously, some report no problems while others do. Your symptoms are classic for those who do.

Edited to clarify: 'Nope, I haven't tried it...' <font color="red"> NOT </font> , 'Nope, it doesn't work as well...'

FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 07:51   #8
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good
Default Smoke problems

Do the twist???...Search, I don't feel like it.
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote