Panoramic Sunroof.

Seaflea

Greetings all,

I'm thinking about a new 2016 GSW TDI SEL and want to get some one elses thoughts on something.

The extra large sunroof. It seems to me that replacing most of the metal of the roof with a plexi-glass material would significantly increase the possiblity of occupant injury in roll-over accidents. I mean it looks like the plexi-glass would be much easier to punch thru than a conventional metal roof.

I've had to have my 06 Jetta roof repaired in the past and the body shop owner commented on how strong the roof construction was and how difficult it was to pull out dents. He said it was one of the strongest roofs he had ever worked on. That made me feel really good about the structural integrity of the car frame.

Does anyone else think this is an issue? I wonder if VW designers have somehow compensated for the possible reduction in roof strength.

Thanks everyone for your time.

SeaFlea

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You could not give me any car with a pano roof. They bake in the sun. They are noisier. They have all kinds of opportunity for pops squeaks and rattles as the car ages and flexes, and it gets worse in extreme temps. They are also a ***** to repair when they break.

I love sunroofs, but not those giant things. They are in lots of cars, not just Volkswagens.

oilhammer

TDI
I just test drove a 150k mile 2009 with a pano roof. The squeaks and rattles alone makes me feel like I'm riding in my old Firebird once again. No more mullet, though. :p

SilkBlueTDI

TDI
2015 GSW
From what i read in the Mercedes forum, the problem with the big panoramic sunroof is when they get hit by rocks in the freeway. They will crack and you have to replace the entire thing. One reason I end up with the TDI S. I hate the fact that I can't get the Lighting pkg but I figure most of my driving will be daytime and freeway, I better avoid the sunroof. It gets way too hot and you are not suppose to TINT them (read in the X5 forum), something to do with glass contraction against the film - whatever that means.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Not interested in ANY sun roof. That is why I have an S model and could not be happier.
Leeks sooner or latter, rattles and extra weight.

oilhammer

TDI
The old normal sunroofs are usually not a problem so long as they are cared for properly. But if that is too much to ask, and you don't enjoy them anyways, then no reason to have one I agree.

I have sunroofs on three of my cars, and have had them on many others, and they all worked great and I never had any issues. Volkswagen has nice sunroofs. The pano, not so much. But again, that is the nature of the beast, they are all troublesome in that regard. We had a couple nightmare RXs at Lexus with them. :(

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I still cannot understand why they cut a hole in a perfectly good roof.

oilhammer

TDI
I still cannot understand why they cut a hole in a perfectly good roof.

Yeah, the add-in sunroofs are indeed a joke. The factory ones, no "cutting" ever happened, as the roof and supports were stamped and welded with the opening from the get go.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Greetings all,

I'm thinking about a new 2016 GSW TDI SEL and want to get some one elses thoughts on something.

The extra large sunroof. It seems to me that replacing most of the metal of the roof with a plexi-glass material would significantly increase the possiblity of occupant injury in roll-over accidents. I mean it looks like the plexi-glass would be much easier to punch thru than a conventional metal roof.

I've had to have my 06 Jetta roof repaired in the past and the body shop owner commented on how strong the roof construction was and how difficult it was to pull out dents. He said it was one of the strongest roofs he had ever worked on. That made me feel really good about the structural integrity of the car frame.

Does anyone else think this is an issue? I wonder if VW designers have somehow compensated for the possible reduction in roof strength.

Thanks everyone for your time.

SeaFlea
I don't quite get the appeal of the SEL unless you're after the seats. Most of the other options can be had on the SE trim, including heated seats and Fender system and LP.

I think sunroofs are cool, especially at dusk or night time when the sun isn't bearing down on you. I like them because they bring more light in the cabin.

I had the Golf SE trim with the half pano roof and liked it. Downsides were keeping it clean so I can enjoy the sky view, and the other was glass material of the roof was a fracture risk. I was surprised about how effective the translucent shade was in keeping out the sun.

I traded my Golf in for the GSW to get more space. Some days I wish I had the pano, but glad I don't on hot days. I think it comes to personal preference in the short term, but they do present a longer-term maintenance risk. I guess if you're really wowed by the sunroof, and you don't mind spending to fix or maintain in the long run, then go for it. If you're on the fence, then choose the options you want and go for that trim. This time, I purchased the TDI S. I put some nice 17s on it, and it looks slick. Sometimes a pano would be nice, and I'll have to use heated seat cushions for winter, but I paid only $22k for my car, and it offers so much at that price.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
When you've flipped and rolled a car and ended up with your left cheek one inch from the asphalt paving you think about such things. You also appreciate seat belts. When shopping for a JSW with a manual transmission, the salesman found a red one only 40 miles away. He said "We'll split the extra $2000.00" . I said "You want me to pay for a hole in my roof?". To bad because I really liked that red exterior/ cornsilk interior combo.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, I've never wrecked a car. But I'd trust a Volkswagen with a sunroof over a lot of other cars without.

roberthaas

TDI
2011 Golf / 2015 TDI GSW
It is not plexiglass, it is heat strengthened laminated glass

Think of it like a windshield with 20 times the impact resistance.

I flat love my Pano, it gives me the convertible experience without all the drawbacks.

Wheats

TDI
mk7 Golf
I despise sunroofs with a passion. The extra 150lbs (give or take) the mechanics, drains, all that crap over your head, but thats just me. No pano on my TDI but unfortunately have one on my S3, as every Audi in Canada now comes standard with a sunroof. yet in Europe you can choose no sunroof. (Or any option for that matter)

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I love sun roofs especially the panoramic ones. I had zero problems with my last car. Just close the sun shade and you'll forget its there.

gnuworldorder

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
get one, im not tall (5'8) but it makes the car feel so much roomier. plus it feels awesome going 75 down the road with your windows down and roof open blasting music

Smokn337

TDI
'15 TDI Golf Sportwagen
If I roll my car and the sunroof breaks. I will probably be getting a new car. Not cuz of the broken sunroof, because I rolled the freaking car...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Having been upside down in an Alfa back in the 60's I converted from open cars to sedans.
(from Spyders to Sprints). The spot ground off the Bell helmet got my attention
Probably not a problem with the JSW and Pano roof, but the leaks are irritating and the fact that you can't get the nav. etc without the darned thing!
Now I have two JSWs with holes in the roof!. The 2013 is not leaking YET.

Smokn337

TDI
'15 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I've never had a leak in any of my dubs or audis. My '04 Jetta wagon had a recall on the drains as they were known to clog up if you didn't keep them cleared. My dad's '00 New Beetle leaked when the roof drains cracked last year. $500 at the dealership to pull interior and replace sunroof drains. Mind you the car was 14 years old when that happened.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
They will all leak at some point. Mine was garage kept and stored in the winter and still had the drain joints let gp at 3 yrs and 30k miiles. VW did fix the problem.but I cross my fingers whenever it rains a lot. Still love the dam thing.

AlexNJ

TDI
MK7 2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG (sold back to VW 12/2016)
Well, count me as someone who's very happy with his Golf SEL's sunroof. I'm 6'2" tall but the slightly reduced headroom hasn't been an issue. I like having the sunlight, especially on short winter days when any sunlight at all is a welcome thing. I haven't noticed any noise at all. Besides, I don't plan on flipping the car over. ;)