IP leaking, what are my options?

Shelby789

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI 1Z
Before I go into what would seem like the obvious solution, I wanted to check with the gurus. I have recently discovered that the IP on my 97 TDI is leaking....I had hoped it was just the old rubber return line to the IP, but after replacing all with Viton today, it is more apparent that the banjo bolt fittin itself is what is leaking....this was also hiding a second leak, an injector supply line (at the bottom of the block, closet to the valve cover), it was lined up nicely below the first leak, and was not obvious until further investigation.

I had a very bad oil leak, so I cannot say for sure if these leaks are new, and the result of my recent diesel purge treatment, or if they are oil and existing.

Can I simply tighten the fittings, or will I crush and cut a gasket, and make the situation worse? I get about one drop every 30 secs. from each of these two leak points.

FlyGuy2480

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI (A3 platform, AHU engine)
I am not exactly a TDI guru, so I can't really give you details on anything involving the IP. So for that, just use common sense, e.g. don't overtighten the bolts. Some guru may reply soon.

However, I can tell you that you should get this leak fixed as soon as possible. A very common problem on these TDIs is that the leaking diesel fuel drops onto the coolant hoses below the IP and damages them very rapidly. Case in point: I did not realize fuel was leaking out of my IP for a while. One day, a coolant hose under the IP ruptured, and I spent quite a while replacing it (had to remove power steering pump, oil filter, belts, and a couple other things to acces the hose). Two months later, the same hose ruptured again, so I had to replace it again. While replacing it the second time, I noticed the fuel leak from the IP gaskets, so I had a mechanic put in new gaskets. A month after that, the same hose ruptured again. Luckily, with the new IP gaskets, that was the last time the hose ruptured.

I determined that the use of biodiesel caused the IP gaskets to leak in the first place. Ever since I had the gaskets replaced, I haven't filled up on biodiesel. Not even B5.