Bad Fuel Hesitation 2nd Time Around Pics

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI

Last summer the 2006 Jetta MKV was hesitating in upper RPM's and here's the reason why. Jeff from Rocket Chip found it to be a bad fuel filtre which was clogging supply... This was due to bad fuel.:(

One year later...almost to the exact date while driving upper state NY we had the same issues... but this time I had a new fuel filtre in the trunk and my tools.

As you can see... it's oil

Not as bad as last year but this was the very first sign of hesitation in the upper RPMs. The first time this happened we drove a few months before getting it changed. [At that time we didn't know it was a filtre issue... this year we knew immediately]

A few trips on the on-off ramps in upper state after changing the filtre cleaned out the residue.:D

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
How many miles on the second filter? BTW, That first pic looks like (cue GOD voice)'The Hand Of Jeff' (GOD voice off).

Some one at the port(?) put oil in the fuel tank?? Fuel thieves working over new cars while in transit lots??

What do you suspect?

Thanks for the pics!

Bill

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
40X40 said:
How many miles on the second filter? BTW,
8,767 miles done at last oil change. There is 41,000 on the car presently. I do a fuel filtre change each oil change. It's a 3 minute deal unlike the priming and unscrewing "replace-removal" of the ALH engines. 6 screws, pull filtre out, put new one in and retighten screws. Prime via ignition key and you're off on the road happily.

40X40 said:
That first pic looks like (cue GOD voice)'The Hand Of Jeff' (GOD voice off).
Yes.:D It's a dirty job to be the Almighty.!!!:D :D

40X40 said:
Some one at the port(?) put oil in the fuel tank?? Fuel thieves working over new cars while in transit lots??

What do you suspect?
Motor oil. Last one was tested and it was dino oil, more a marine engine oil.:(

osesu96

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI - Platinum Gray
did I understand your post to indicate that dino oil was in the fuel filter/fuel system? If so, what is the theory as to how it got there?

I ask because my wife's 06.5 Jetta has the similar amount of soot on the back bumper and it puffs black smoke upon startup (cold or hot).

Just curious.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Common problem, replace upon power loss...I have replaced after 22000, and as little as 5000..Fuel dependent..

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
Just to second the question above -- is it a big deal for there to be oil in your fuel system? Seems like bad mojo.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
TDI 4 RD said:
Just to second the question above -- is it a big deal for there to be oil in your fuel system? Seems like bad mojo.
The fuel filtre captures all of it. The bad oily fuel will slowly clog the fuel filtre resulting in stavation of fuel on the injector side. You first notice a bucking in upper rpms, not usually in first gear from a rest but in third and forth gears where you have a constant demand for fuel.

From what it appears the injectors are fine and the engine is okay. You pull out the dirty clogged fuel filtre and everything is back to normal. The car is RC1+1 chipped. If you lay into the car after a period of babying it ...especially with a clogged fuel filtre - that had just been changed - the soot is a result that everything is breathing correctly once again.:D After I had changed the fuel filtre the first full throttle had a 10 foot by 12 foot cloud sustained in the horizon - suspended as if it was a huge cloud unmoving.

Pretty funny stuff.

The trip back was 265 miles non-stop and 75-90 mph with flow of traffic and a 38 mpg average [we filled up in CT].

Jeff said that he's seen this alot.

BrianCT