00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85) 27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

05_passat_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Vw Passat
On my trip back from St. Louis after having my bsm changed out, the esp light came on shortly after getting on the freeway. I have noticed that when driving in the city the light stays off but if I drive just a few miles on the freeway it will come on. I recently decided to scan the abs system and found that fault. I also checked the measuring blocks and did find that the computer can read data from the sensor. Before tearing the steering wheel apart cluelessly, I am hoping someone will chime in with some insight. Thanks.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Oxidation on a connector or the sensor is going bad.

05_passat_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Vw Passat
From what I understand, the sensor is mounted to the steering column just below the steering wheel and so the connections are there and at the control module. And if the control module connection is oxidized I imagine I would see more strange behavior, right? Also, I don't know where that particular control module is located to check. The part that throws me off is that I can drive all day in the city and no problems, but just a few minutes on the freeway and the esp light will come on. I know the bsm change doesn't mess with the steering wheel so I don't think it just needs recalibrated. And I don't know if this makes any effect on it or not, but the drivers side tie rod end is wore out and going to be changed soon. I appreciate your help, and ideas.

Biodezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Teal; Golf, 1999, Metalic Green, Auto
... the drivers side tie rod end is wore out and going to be changed soon.
Hear a "thunking" sound going over medium-size bumps?
My car had this symptom...turned out to be a worn-out control arm that was first diagnosed as a worn-out tie rod end.

Good luck.

05_passat_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Vw Passat
Yes I do hear that thunking sound, however I can grab that wheel and make it wobble. And it was first Oilhammer that first diagnosed the problem. It is possible that also the control arm is damaged. But I still don't know what is up with the sensor. I find it unusual that the sensor in the steering wheel would develop problems immediately after Oilhammer took care of my balance shaft. So I am wondering if there is something else that could cause this that makes sense?

thebaz67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi A7
I think you should attempt the calibration that is listed on the Ross-tech site.

You have nothing to loose trying that since the sensor is appox 350.00

I had to replace mine since VCDS showed it as bad.

Baz

05_passat_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Vw Passat
It can't hurt since I don't think my sensor is bad. I just don't know what would have caused it to lose calibration if the battery wasn't disconnected and steering wheel not messed with. I just had the tie rod end changed and it had considerably more play in it than 2 weeks ago, so I am hoping that a jiggly wheel was causing the computer to go crazy. I will find out tomorrow morning.

05_passat_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Vw Passat
With a 75 mile freeway drive this morning and the traction control light didn't come on. So I am going to say that a bad tie rod end caused the condition.