State Inspection (NJ) Emissions Testing

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
My 2005 Jetta has the MIL light on for the turbocharger sensor failure P2564. In the past I have cleared the code with OBDWiz and it has stayed off for some variable period of time only to return. Today I tried to clear the code and it stayed off however reappeared after I turned the car on and off. I will experiment with this over the next few days, however my question is this:

On the "monitor" section of OBDWiz I show 5 elements that are listed as "not available." They are:

Catalyst
Heated Catalyst
Evap System
Secondary Air System
AC Refrigerant

Everything else shows available. All of the items show as incomplete and on the bottom of the screen the program does tell me there are 0 error codes however the car is not ready for emissions testing.

I know there is some sort of cycle as to making the car ready for emissions testing but everything I have googled has been inconclusive to 500 miles since you reset the MIL to 15 minutes. Does anyone know the exact parameters that make the car ready for emissions testing? Is my case a hopeless lost cause for now? The only quote I was given on fixing my MIL error was approximately $2000 to remove and replace the entire turbocharger unit with a new or re manufactured turbo charger. I'm also up for suggestions on how to repair that through a reputable shop as I am not currently able to do some fabrication repair to my vehicle myself.

Thanks in advance.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The items that are "unavailable" are not on your car (no evaporative emissions on diesels), or not monitored (there is no monitoring of the catalyst via a second O2 sensor, like on asoline automobiles).

On mine, I simply drive the car and after a day or so, perhaps three, all the readiness monitors reset. If you have a code reader, you can tell if they are reset. If there is an issue, though, as the monitor resets, it will throw a code since it is now monitoring a faulty system.

As for the actuator, first try checking the electrical connection. Is this a BEW?(both the BEW and BRM were used in 2005). The wiring on the actuator on the BEW is very thin and prone to breaking at the actuator due to the unrestrained length at the actuator and it can vibrate due to the diesel "rattle". If broke, repair it (you'll have to go in from undeerneath and fish the harness out for access.)

Other options are to replace the turbocharger with a like unit (KP-39 on the BEW) and they are a little under $1000 at the vendors on this list, or you can upgrade to a bigget VNT-17 for a little more and you'll need a new EGR pipe IIRC. I'd strongly consider replacing the turbo because if one fails, it can destroy an engine due to foreign object and oil injestion, and they can fail more easily if they have high mileage. Having a new one will minimize this chance. Replace it yourself. It's kind of involved, but a great way to learn and the labor you save WILL cover your tool purchase.

Another option is to buy a used KP-39 turbo and use its actuator or buy a used actuator. There might even be a new "smart" actuator replacement offered by the vendors.

--Nate

Last edited: