AFN Tuning service? (Only need files)

Davegsm82

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf TDI 2.0 CRB 150BHP + T25 Vanagon AFN 110BHP
I'm looking for information about tuned files for the AFN (MSA15) ECU.

I have a VW T3/T25/Vanagon/Whatever which I installed an AFN in a few years ago, it's great but I would like to give the engine a little more power, currently stock 110HP, running a larger VNT1748VA turbo and stock nozzles.

I have socketed the ECU and can program the flash chips myself, so really I just need the tuning files and I can do the rest myself.

As a side note I also have another socketed MSA15 ECU which is running later firmware from one of the 82pin ECU's, despite the obvious differences such as the internal/external MAF and different number of pins, it runs perfectly and all functions operate as expected right down to Cruise control.

All help welcomed.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
If you have means to flash chips that means you have means to read them too ! Read the 2 files of the Hi and Lo chips, merge them in winols and have a look for the boost maps and fueling maps, drivers wish and torque/boost limiters. If the chips you have are re-writeable then do small changes at a time and save the original files then take the van on the road and do logs- lots of logs ! Thats how you learn to tune ! Getting files for different cars may not work at all with your engine/ecu...

Davegsm82

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have means to flash chips that means you have means to read them too ! Read the 2 files of the Hi and Lo chips, merge them in winols and have a look for the boost maps and fueling maps, drivers wish and torque/boost limiters. If the chips you have are re-writeable then do small changes at a time and save the original files then take the van on the road and do logs- lots of logs ! Thats how you learn to tune ! Getting files for different cars may not work at all with your engine/ecu...
Hi Adamms24,

I was able to combine the chip HHH and LLL files into something that EDC15 suite could read, found the maps etc. Problem is that each modification would have to be flashed to the chips then those chips physically installed in the ECU each time. It's not quite as simple as flashing a later EDC15 ECU via the OBD2 so I was kind of hoping there might be some slightly more 'generic' flash files kicking around that I could just plug and play.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Have you read this thread? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375099 Lots of good information there. If you stick with the stock nozzles you can easily calculate the smoke maps with mg of air/mg of fuel. Timing can either stay the same or smoothed out and bumped a couple degrees. There is a sample timing map somewhere in the thread I linked. Don't go too crazy with the timing. Too much timing is the one thing that can really damage these engines. Torque limiter can be adjusted the same way as the smoke map, use the stock torque graph vs the fuel injected to get a rough idea and adjust from there. Or just be lazy like I did and not bother limiting it past 2100. Boost can be done the same way as the smoke map just check the pressure ratio vs mass flow on the compressor map to make sure you're not way out of the map. Taking the stock boost and fuel injected you can ratio out the boost required for your added fuel if you want to stay as lean as stock. Just remember that you need to deal with absolute pressure not gauge pressure. So if you want 1.2 bar of boost the map needs to say 2200mbar.

None of this is rocket science, just requires a bit of thinking and planning. If you have gauges and watch them its hard to hurt the engine. If you take your time, plan it out and work through it you wont need to change chips more than a few times. I think I only flashed my car twice for me to be happy with it. Just take your time and think through it, I'd rather trust a tune that I've personally played with and know what it happening with than some random file you found on the internet. Or if you're not confident with it I'm sure you could find a tuner who still does chips since you probably have more options for tuners with being in the UK.

Davegsm82

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Exenos, just noticed your reply on the thread so wanted to say cheers as I've not checked here in a while.

I'm now considering using the EDC15+ ECU from my old ASV MK4 golf, but may have a bit of a play with the AFN ECU before I remove that old system and also upgrade to an 11mm pump.

jwrb

TDI
Caddy MK2 ALH, Cordoba Vario ASV, Cordoba Vario Cupra 1.9 High Power Build
Thanks Exenos, just noticed your reply on the thread so wanted to say cheers as I've not checked here in a while.

I'm now considering using the EDC15+ ECU from my old ASV MK4 golf, but may have a bit of a play with the AFN ECU before I remove that old system and also upgrade to an 11mm pump.
I can help with files for your setup if needed. I'm UK based too so timezone shouldn't be a problem :)

Tikra

TDI
Passat 3C, polo 6N
aan

hey guys, I have an 1.9 tdi in my Polo 6N1.
Would love to get some more information what is necessary to program myself.
I have several CPU available - one 90hp, one 110 and one with 154 which I have actually installed in the car with standaard nozzles, adjusted pump and standard turbo.
As a matter of fact my 1st and 5th is too short. There is no room to extend to a 6 gear. So probably changing fifth a little bit longer canoe an option ... but do I have to be afraid about the engine temperature, when using a longer 5th and driving longer time >205 km/h?
With the setup now using no additional oil cooler more worse i only use a small oil filter, a 78 degrees temperaturvalve I can drive max. with no problems at all (205 on GPS).
SO back to my questions, what do I need to program, read and modify ECU's by myself. I know already if I want to use other turbos and bigger nozzles that I need a different map sensor (so modify ECU) .. I want to learn ..

cheers

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
If the ecu's are MSA15, then you need an eprom (or flash) programmer which knows to write your new chips (for ex AFN had 27c010, but there is a flash version 29F010 which can be written more than once). If are EDC15V, then you need a mpps, galleto or similar cable to write it by obd.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
As Razvan said, a galleto or mpps will do what you want and possibly help with a bricked ECU as well. Please be aware of correcting checksum on ECU every time you're about to flash a map as it will make the difference between a starting engine and a load of headaches. I see you have a couple of ECU's to choose from so you might be ok from that point. Its a wise move to upgrade the stock oil cooler if you tend to drive close to max speed limits, best to fit a EGT probe/gauge and a boost meter- it might save your motor in the long run.
Read, read then read some more- its the only way to learn !