BEW in MK1 swap - limp mode & other issues

tkyanaga

TDI
vw rabbit pickup (to be tdi)
Hi all,

I've decided to start a thread to record my swap progress and diagnostics, since Id record this anyways and maybe this can help someone else out in the future.

I put a 210k mile BEW engine & trans into my mk1 truck (yeah) last October and am trying to get all the odds and ends straightened out.

The boost piping or intercooler is leaking somewhere (used rubber pvc caps and a bike pump to assess that it doesn't hold boost).

I tried Hassenwerk's pvc boost piping method, but have been unable to succeed. Since my front end has square lights, the intercooler didn't quite fit, so I cut one end and glass it back on to fit. Also glassed on the map sensor mount to a piece of pvc.

Also, while driving around, my map sensor is reading below ATM and I live 500 ft above sea level. (will tackle after my boost pipes hold air)

I'm hoping this week I can check in and out pipes for pressure and then add a coat of resin to areas that are leaking (intercooler if both pipes hold air).

Also want to install a normally open oil pressure light switch (BEW is Normally Closed .55-.85 Bar, mk1 is Normally Open and I want a 1.4 Bar idiot light pn: 068 919 081 D) ~ 5 minutes

Next I'd like to tackle why my truck is so slow. The vacuum lines that surround the N75 valve and turbo. In my preliminary findings:
  • there is a leak in the intercooler. Repairing with fiberglass (3/1/20)
  • N75 is getting > 25 in Hg
  • the turbo actuator starts moving at 3 in Hg and stops around 17 or 18 in Hg
  • the turbo is NOT receiving vacuum when I rev engine

Last edited:
TDI
BEW 1.9 TDI
Hey dude! Came across your thread and was curious if you ever got that figured out? And what kit you used to mount everything? I have a 81 rabbit and i also picked up a 2004 Jetta BEW and i want to use as much as the car as possible on the swap and haven’t seen a direct answer ):