HDI by Peugeot

drtychimp

I just came across something called the HDI (high-compression diesel injection) engine by Peugeot. It seems to be the same as the TDI, just more torque on the lower end rpm's and more hp over all. Anyone ever heard of it or even (our European friends) driven one? I want to learn more about this thing. (and if it is old news tell me)

Go to here and then click go to "innovation" at the top of the screen, then "techno HDI" and tell me what you think!

Eric Maurier

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia '01, TDI 90
Moderators, how about relocating this one in the non-TDI section?
Well, yes, it's old news, for the 2.0 110 HP anyway. When was that, 1999 maybe? They first got it out on the Citroen Xantia then Peugeot 406. Afterwards came the 90 HP version (no intercooler nor dual mass flywheel).
Then a 2.2L 16v was introduced on the 607 and Citroen C5.
What's new is their 1.4. 70HP for now but versions up to 90HP are scheduled.
The H is meant to be high pressure, the HDI is a common rail direct injected engine, like the Mercedes CDI or Fiat JTD. Or the V8 3.3L Audi. It's not like our old TDIs (the 1Z engine dates back to 1991) that just have standard, "low" pressure injectors, nor the Tdis that are fitted with injector pumps.
The common rail means more smoothness compared to the injector pumps, but tends to have BIG problems with water in the fuel (other systems are less touchy with that).