Needing advice-performance upgrades

TDI
1998 Jetta 1.9l TDI
I'm just getting into diesels and turbos and such my first project is a 1998 jetta 1.9l ahu tdi with the 5 speed manual obviously. From what iv read up on it and checked to be sure so far it's bone stock. All of gotten done right yet is an get delete and I cleaned my intake because of it being so caked with smut. My next few steps before I take it to get a temp tune done and have it put on a dyno is I want to upgrade my nozzles ,injection pump, map sensor, turbo and exhaust.
Where can I find my stock nozzle size and injection pump size and what are my best upgrade options?
Also I was looking to change my exhaust from my turndow all the way back to 3in. And I have a Garrett AR50 that was given to me I was wondering can it be put on my car to replace my 3k turbo?

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I would advise getting the Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 enthusiast model. With 3 ven numbers it is only $200.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Start with a better engine. I am not a fan of lots of power mods to the AHU. The ALH is better to start with. And I would argue it is also bolted into a better car, but if you happen to have stumbled across a really nice A3 Jetta, good for you. I'd still leave it mostly stock, though.

And why would you want a 3 inch exhaust on a 1.9L engine??? LMAO...

TDI
1998 Jetta 1.9l TDI
The engine stays point blank...im working with what I have. As for the exhaust that's just what a guy at work said would give it better sound and wouldn't hurt it any in case you have trouble reading I'll say again this is my first project I'm here for advice not to be ridiculed. I want a deeper tone than the stock 2in provides if 3 is over doing it than by all means give me pointers of what would get a deeper tone and help it as far as size goes but if you just want to get your laughs at my questions GTFO

TDI
1998 Jetta 1.9l TDI
Again can I get some ideas for my injector nozzles and if I have to upgrade the pump as well how do I figure on what to upgrade it to? And would the Garrett AR50 turbo work

Oilheat456

TDI
98 Jetta AHU, 78 Rabbit AHU
Welcome the new guy

Dunno what happened, this is usually a welcoming website.

Anyway I just spent an hour replying to your queries, and then my computer ate my homework!

The vendors rhat supply stuff to make these cars go faster are usually a reliable source. The ones that I like are IDparts, RocketChip, Malone Tuning,
Cascade something something,(search on Bleached Bora and click the link to Cascade}, Techtonicstuning for exhausts. This is by no means an axhaustive list.Use the Search function to search this forum, and look to the FAQs as well as the writeups on power enhancements.

The only turbo improvement that is bolt-on is the K03/04 hybrid you will find from these vendors. Every other turbo upgrade will require fabrication, tuning change, or both.

The most common pump upgrade is the 11mm ALH auto. trans pump instead of the stock 10mm pump. That would be a scrapyard item. Search on Dieselgeek or Corradotdi (same person) on this site for particulars.

I don't know anything about rhe Garret tirbo you mentioned.

Good Luck, welcome to the TDI club, and don't be put off by your initilal
responses. Oilheat456

Oilheat456

TDI
Profile correction

Just noticed my profile, "newbie". Not really, been here since 2004, just under the name Oilheat.

TDI
1998 Jetta 1.9l TDI
And I'm actually wanting to prepare it where I can send my ecu to malone tuning. When I first started searching on this car it was some of Mark malones post and replies on threads that got me to give this forum a try

TDI
1998 Jetta 1.9l TDI
My general goal is torque gains HP gains in the process would be great whatever they will be but I need a fast 1/4 mile time. I'm trying to prove a point at work and now need to build this car and engine to beat a coworkers build

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
A member here has posted 226 HP/ 380 TQ with his '97 1Z, so it can be done.
This required modifying nearly every component of his engine, of course.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
How much differences is there between ahu and alh? Might be able to swap parts and use alh mods as a guideline. There is a guy locally that has to be pushing 190-200hp from an ahu. He has had the set up and 3 different mk3 jettas.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
What are you trying to beat? You might have a hard uphill battle here.

What does the compressor and turbine measure out to on the garret? You can make plenty of power with an ahu but it needs to be highish rpm power if you want to keep the stock bottom end. An 11mm is probably going to be a necessity.

Oilheat456

TDI
tuning changes

You are going to want to use AFN tuning in your ECU. This is from a European car that had one of our first-generation tdi's fitted with a vnt.
With that capability you will be able to bolt up a turbo from a later model car
that will push more compressed air and come into its torque range sooner, to boot. With more boost, you will need a 3 bar MAP sensor in the ECU, which Malone can sell you as a kit. The chips in the AHU ECU are replaceable, that is they are push-in, pull-out of solderless receptacles. so your tuner does not need the whole ECU; but if you do send it to him/them then the 3 bar sensor could be installed at the same time. You will also need a N75 valve from a mark 4 tdi because our AHU valve switches boost pressure to the wastegate, like a gas car, while the vnt's all use engine vacuum to control the vanes.

You can use either Malone or Rocketchip, as well as some others, but since Jeff at Rocketchip seems to be a one-man show, communication there can sometimes be unreliable. I recommend text messaging the number given on his website, not email. Other than that, I think he has been doing this longer and has more experience than most of his competitors, and I know for sure that he has installed AFN tuning on his son's car, so I'm confident he knows a few things about this conversion.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
You are going to want to use AFN tuning in your ECU. This is from a European car that had one of our first-generation tdi's fitted with a vnt.
With that capability you will be able to bolt up a turbo from a later model car
that will push more compressed air and come into its torque range sooner, to boot. With more boost, you will need a 3 bar MAP sensor in the ECU, which Malone can sell you as a kit. The chips in the AHU ECU are replaceable, that is they are push-in, pull-out of solderless receptacles. so your tuner does not need the whole ECU; but if you do send it to him/them then the 3 bar sensor could be installed at the same time. You will also need a N75 valve from a mark 4 tdi because our AHU valve switches boost pressure to the wastegate, like a gas car, while the vnt's all use engine vacuum to control the vanes.

You can use either Malone or Rocketchip, as well as some others, but since Jeff at Rocketchip seems to be a one-man show, communication there can sometimes be unreliable. I recommend text messaging the number given on his website, not email. Other than that, I think he has been doing this longer and has more experience than most of his competitors, and I know for sure that he has installed AFN tuning on his son's car, so I'm confident he knows a few things about this conversion.

This ^^^ is great advice. Whatever you do get ahold of Jeff at RC, it ain’t easy but it’s worth it IMO.

Bajan

TDI
1998 Jetta 1.9l TDI
Definitely appreciate all the advice I'll be sure and check into the rocket chip sorry on the late replies have my had data in a bit but also instead of the Garrett turbo I got a saab turbo off a wrecked car and I'm going to use it if it'll be a better option than my k03 it doesn't need rebuilt and is in great condition also if that's how my boost works how would I hook up a boost gauge I have it tied into the intake at the moment but it isn't exactly working right it keeps shutting off and says I'm going up to nearly 20lb of boost most the time which definitely can't be right

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
the stock style turbo on your car is a serious bottleneck...if the only thing you did was replace the turbo with a mid sized one and tune it, you would be far better off...but in terms of mods, get the 11mm. Its a bit of work to fit to an AHU, but worth it. Nozzles depend on goals. With an 11, 520 are enough, 764 is about all you will need unless you are planning on mega power. Big exhaust including downpipe. Decent cam Colt stage 2 is good. Not too big on the turbo...mid sized like I mentioned is better. A vnt conversion is possible...and works awesome. There are lots of other options as well. Tune for sure. I have been using Rocketchip for over a decade...never let me down yet.

TDI
1998 Jetta 1.9l TDI
Ok so explain mid sized please I don't know turbo s at all I know iv got the k03 006 and I keep seeing that the gt1749v is considered an upgrade that'll fit my car but if it's a vnt what all else do I need to change with it besides a tune I know that lol or are there better upgrades I can look into and if so what can they handle as far as boost

TDI
1998 Jetta 1.9l TDI
Ok so after lots of Google play and some debating on prices iv bout decided to just upgrade with a vnt swap to the gt1749v and go with one with a new intake manifold and I'm going to do new exhaust from the turn down back. What all do I need to change for the vnt swap, N75 valve 11mm pump larger nozzles etc. Is there anything else to change besides a tune and what N75 valve will I need and what size nozzles would provide the best power with this upgrade

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
*+1 (724) 267-3555‬ Call this number. The place is called German auto outfitters. The guy that owns it is Jamie. He has a lot of knowledge of what you are trying to convert to.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
You should do a lot of searching on this forum instead of asking people to spoon feed you the info. There's a TON of great threads at your fingertips, you just have to search for them. And if a 1/4 mile time is your goal, you should probably just get a gas car rather than a TDI. Dollar to hp, you will probably spend twice as much money on the TDI than you would on a mk4 1.8t, for example...

TDI
1998 Jetta 1.9l TDI
I appreciate the contact and I'm not trying to be spoon fed just getting ideas or options and as I figure out how these forums work I am doing my own searching but this is actually my thread I started just for the purpose of my questions about my car so this is where I ask them. As for the car if learned it'll never be the baddest with that engine but if you actually go back and read the earlier post it's a bet basically between me and a coworker that I can't build it and beat him in a race. It's against a Mazda that's pushing close to 400 hp and around 330-350 tq supposedly.....and please don't do like the first guy here and get butt hurt because of how I say things I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just blunt and don't watch for others feelings it's just how I am

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
A bit of respect goes a long way

I appreciate the contact and I'm not trying to be spoon fed just getting ideas or options and as I figure out how these forums work I am doing my own searching but this is actually my thread I started just for the purpose of my questions about my car so this is where I ask them. As for the car if learned it'll never be the baddest with that engine but if you actually go back and read the earlier post it's a bet basically between me and a coworker that I can't build it and beat him in a race. It's against a Mazda that's pushing close to 400 hp and around 330-350 tq supposedly.....and please don't do like the first guy here and get butt hurt because of how I say things I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just blunt and don't watch for others feelings it's just how I am

The "first guy" is OilHammer and is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable members here...he's also forgotten more than you have learned...maybe you should check out Vwvortex. The only one going to get "butthurt" in this thread is yourself because no one here will help someone who won't help themselves...the search button is up at the top right of the screen....good luck.

Last edited:

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition

How much money are you willing to spend and how much driveability are you willing to sacrifice to win that bet? You could easily just send the car to one of the major TDI tuners, tell them how fast you want to go, and open your wallet. To beat a 400hp Mazda, I would expect easily $20k+ to make it happen.

Also, being blunt and not caring about how other's feel is kinda synonymous with being a dick...

Last edited: