VNT 17/26. Anyone had experience?

newguy2tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta
Once we find a clutch that will hold, we should meet up and u try it. I had a gtb1756 on ryan's gorgeous manifold, but this thing outdoes it. I have a dyno graph, but it was at 26psi and fuel cut at 4500rpm. Will dyno as soon as clutch is dealt with.
For the best daily driver and less cost of installation (not sure if 17/26 bolts straight on) would you recommend a gtb1756 or 17/26? I have looked at both.

Also, I am going to ride with Anut on Sunday and talk some about the turbo and my 2003 ALH build. Super excited

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Once we find a clutch that will hold, we should meet up and u try it. I had a gtb1756 on ryan's gorgeous manifold, but this thing outdoes it. I have a dyno graph, but it was at 26psi and fuel cut at 4500rpm. Will dyno as soon as clutch is dealt with.
Right on man, I don't mind eating crow if I can add some ponies to the wagon :) Let me know when you get that badboy ready to go.

newguy2tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta
Went to Anut's shop today and first took a ride in a Jetta with Kerma 150hp kit (s7 turbo) and brakes done. The rest of the car was stock. Then switched over and drove his golf (listed on his site) with the 17/26 turbo equipped. What a crazy difference. Supposedly it is 50hp more than the jetta but it really pulls all the way to the top end. It spooled really quick too.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Went to Anut's shop today and first took a ride in a Jetta with Kerma 150hp kit (s7 turbo) and brakes done. The rest of the car was stock. Then switched over and drove his golf (listed on his site) with the 17/26 turbo equipped. What a crazy difference. Supposedly it is 50hp more than the jetta but it really pulls all the way to the top end. It spooled really quick too.
anut - do you have a dyno of the two cars?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Were the cars the same other than the turbos? If not, then the comparison really isn't much of a comparison.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
As Bill said, you are comparing the whole build. However they may have been good examples of the different turbos near the upper end of their HP limit.

Did you decide which way you are going to go?

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
Sounds like nothing more than a 17/22 with a billet wheel with those extended exducer fins on the compressor wheel.
Since you get the compressorwheels in all thinkable and unthinkable geometries thrown after for a few bucks, there will be plenty of new products all over the turbo scene in future.....

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Since you get the compressorwheels in all thinkable and unthinkable geometries thrown after for a few bucks, there will be plenty of new products all over the turbo scene in future.....
The magic of affordable 5 axis CNCs.
The other magic of it is that good heavy manual machines are cheaper than ever.

newguy2tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta
As Bill said, you are comparing the whole build. However they may have been good examples of the different turbos near the upper end of their HP limit.

Did you decide which way you are going to go?
I believe Im going to do somewhat of a 150hp kit type build but with the VNT 17 and bigger injectors for around 170-180hp and then spend the rest of the money of suspension, brakes, limited slip dif, and lighting etc

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
I believe Im going to do somewhat of a 150hp kit type build but with the VNT 17 and bigger injectors for around 170-180hp and then spend the rest of the money of suspension, brakes, limited slip dif, and lighting etc

Two thumbs up!

tyson

TDI
2001 VW Jetta, 2010 VW Jetta
So I bought a 17/26 a few weeks back and I have to say that its amazing. I upgraded from the 17/22 and its not even close to the same. Did not change my tune at all in order to compare them. I am at altitude (4200 ft) so my experience with the 17/22 is most likely different from most of the readers. I constantly fought compressor surging with the 17/22. It drove well enough but I was always tinkering with it to try and decrease that annoying noise which everyone seems to say is normal. It's compressor surge and its bad for turbos. So here's my initial thoughts:

-No compressor surge or stall
-EGT's are 200 degrees lower on pulls. I've yet to go over 1300 F
-It builds boost under 2000 RPM's where the 17/22 would scream at me and bark
-Power curve is much smoother
-Less smoke
-I've chirped the tires without trying. That never happened before
-It's like I'm driving a different car
-No surge noise at all
-Did I mention it doesn't surge?

I literally am giddy to go out and drive the thing every day. This new turbo has made the car fun again.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
So I bought a 17/26 a few weeks back and I have to say that its amazing. I upgraded from the 17/22 and its not even close to the same. Did not change my tune at all in order to compare them. I am at altitude (4200 ft) so my experience with the 17/22 is most likely different from most of the readers. I constantly fought compressor surging with the 17/22. It drove well enough but I was always tinkering with it to try and decrease that annoying noise which everyone seems to say is normal. It's compressor surge and its bad for turbos. So here's my initial thoughts:
-Less smoke
-No surge noise at all
I literally am giddy to go out and drive the thing every day. This new turbo has made the car fun again.

This is really nice to hear!! Any chance you will be putting the car on a dyno to show off that power curve?? What are you running for Nozzles and what size injection pump?

tyson

TDI
I've yet to dyno the car with the 17/26. ANut has his dyno posted in this very thread and if you search hard enough you can compare his latest dyno to his old one with a 17/22.
I'm running a 10mm pump and R520 injectors with a stage II flow rate (not stage II R520)

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Tyson, I am having a 17/26 built right now and I live above 4000ft. I am glad to hear you are having better response with this turbo as I almost went for a 17/22. At present I have a 10mm pump, but haven't decided which nozzles I want to run; there are a lot of options available now that weren't available 5 years ago when I had my car tuned. Are you 100% happy with the nozzles you have now?

tyson

TDI
I would still run the R520 with a stage II flow calibration. Ive since turned mine down for better economy and less mean looks for all the smoke. Plenty of fuel when turned up. I would add the modified pilot that drivebywire offers. He mentioned it increases fuel economy even more at the cost of a hair louder engine racket. I'm not running a lift pump either and I still have plenty of fuel. I would add one just to help your pump out though. I need to but funds are short

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Tyson, I am having a 17/26 built right now and I live above 4000ft. I am glad to hear you are having better response with this turbo as I almost went for a 17/22. At present I have a 10mm pump, but haven't decided which nozzles I want to run; there are a lot of options available now that weren't available 5 years ago when I had my car tuned. Are you 100% happy with the nozzles you have now?
As I upgraded my engine, I have purchased 3 different sets of nozzles. 1st, Sprint 520, 2nd, Titan 764, 3rd, Race 520. Each set of nozzles are on a different set of injectors. So I would have saved quite a bit of money if I had just gone directly to the Race 520 nozzles the first time and let the tuner adjust the fuel. But I was "penny wise, pound foolish".

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Buying a nozzle like a R520 then reducing the flow by 'flow stages' is just silly. Let your tuner worry about the fuel.

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
-Less smoke
-No surge noise at all

What rpm rang would u say it starts spooling at? Would the s7 spool sooner than the 17/26?

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
What rpm rang would u say it starts spooling at? Would the s7 spool sooner than the 17/26?
S7 spools faster, though the 17/26 has significantly more top end if there is enough volumetric efficiency mods (big pipes, port work, manifold) there to support it...without the surge of the 17/22. Spool engine speed is on part with a VNT17. On my Golf I can run 24psi at 2K without surge.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have a 17/56 that was built into a dead vnt-15 manifold. I went from .205's to .230 nozzles and have not changed my Stage 3 tune from 7 years ago. I live at 4600' and not only was the 17/56 the best choice for my location but the price was right too.
My car is a completely different animal now; lots of power all the way to red line, and much better throttle response from off-idle to WOT.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
I have a 17/56 that was built into a dead vnt-15 manifold. I went from .205's to .230 nozzles and have not changed my Stage 3 tune from 7 years ago. I live at 4600' and not only was the 17/56 the best choice for my location but the price was right too.
My car is a completely different animal now; lots of power all the way to red line, and much better throttle response from off-idle to WOT.

now how does that work? i have a seized stok 04 BEW turbo

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
well you take the junk stock turbine and compressor out of the CHRA,
insert the rotating assembly and compressor backing plate/housing of your choice,
bore exducer dimension on your turbine housing/manifold on your milling machine,
cut up the stock turbine housing from the donor turbo you got your new turbine from to use as a pattern to grind a form tool,
stick form tool in boring head and cut the radius to the same depth as the stock one was to get similar blade clearance
play with the vane mechanism to figure out what size stop pin you need to keep the vanes out of the turbine wheel
send it out to have the thing VSR balanced as otherwise it'll die pretty quick (mine lasted about 15k miles of severe abuse going with just marking the alignment and resetting the wheels back the same)

Did that to stick a saab 2.3 LPT GT1752S assembly into my stock ALH 1749V turbine housing.
Doing it again, I'd just hack off the stock turbine housing and use stainless stick rods to put a t25 flange on the manifold. Run a saab 2.3 HPT TD04HL-15t-5cm with the wastegate actuator can hooked up to nothing. Much easier.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
well you take the junk stock turbine and compressor out of the CHRA,
insert the rotating assembly and compressor backing plate/housing of your choice,
bore exducer dimension on your turbine housing/manifold on your milling machine,
cut up the stock turbine housing from the donor turbo you got your new turbine from to use as a pattern to grind a form tool,
stick form tool in boring head and cut the radius to the same depth as the stock one was to get similar blade clearance
play with the vane mechanism to figure out what size stop pin you need to keep the vanes out of the turbine wheel
send it out to have the thing VSR balanced as otherwise it'll die pretty quick (mine lasted about 15k miles of severe abuse going with just marking the alignment and resetting the wheels back the same)
Did that to stick a saab 2.3 LPT GT1752S assembly into my stock ALH 1749V turbine housing.
Doing it again, I'd just hack off the stock turbine housing and use stainless stick rods to put a t25 flange on the manifold. Run a saab 2.3 HPT TD04HL-15t-5cm with the wastegate actuator can hooked up to nothing. Much easier.
Easier still is getting a used Passat manifold and Darkside adapter plate.
Darkside might have a good used 1756 with a vacuum actuator fitted, otherwise
that needs doing. Fit up a downpipe and go!