Help emergency!!! TB broke

RedDragon

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW “Judy Sue White”
As the title say my TB broke and the tensioner loosened up. I'm being towed to the Midas in Rutland, VT the address is
207 US-4 Rutland, VT 05701

If anyone is on there way to the fest and can help me I'd be extremely greatful. I'm pretty sure a Midas won't have the ALH tools. My cell is 815.210.8790 text friendly because I'm wait on a tow call.

Thanks Adam

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Not sure what can be done for you, your head needs to be pulled and sent out for refurbishing.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
I don't know that it's a "good idea" but I can tow you from where you are at to TDIFest tomorrow if you want to pay for the rental of a uHaul tow trailer, I have a hitch and lighting on my Golf.

RedDragon

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW “Judy Sue White”
I don't know that it's a "good idea" but I can tow you from where you are at to TDIFest tomorrow if you want to pay for the rental of a uHaul tow trailer, I have a hitch and lighting on my Golf.
Ok I'm gonna call my dad in the morning. When is good time to let you know? I'm a long way from Chicago so I don't know if I many options anyway. I just had the head rebuilt in April lol ugh. At least if its at the fest there everyone there that knows what to do or not to in this case.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I probably need my head examined, but.....

I have a head kit on the shelf. Ditto all parts that go with it. Just gotta put in trunk, and pack specialized toolbox.

This would have to be a one-day hero project. I can do the high stuff, but need a low man for underneath stuff. Paved, or preferably concrete spot to work where we can make a short-term mess. Gravel will not do. Minimum of one set of skilled hands ready for a big day Saturday. Eric IS NOT coming, I'm solo this trip.

Someone else would have to bring us:
1) a good floor jack and a set of 2 ton jack stands. I WILL NOT do this on an engine support that is in the way.
2) Creeper would be nice.
3) Drain pans for oil and coolant.
4) Containers for used fluids, and haul them away

I would have to know something by 0700 to know to pack parts. I leave Kentucky 0800.

Truthfully, probably better at Herm's or elsewhere. I would have to have $$$ for my parts prior to leaving Maine. Can't take a paypal hit on this much money. Price is whatever Frank charges for this complete solution kit.

Last edited:

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
I'm leaving North Carolina in about an hour, still have 10 hour drive to get to you if you want me to tow you. Not sure if it is or isn't legal, but you would have to ride in your car while being towed or catch a ride with someone else, I'm stacked to the roof with stuff for tdifest

I was planning to help volunteer with preperations for the fest on Friday, but I could help out with the car instead. I've got a lot of tools, don't have a triple square set though

You aren't 100% on the way, if you want me to come get you thats fine, just give me let me know by this afternoon
678-535-7172

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I just spoke with Adam. I'm getting the tow dolly hooked up and prepped.
Adam's going to call Herm to see what other options might be possible for this week/ weekend.

The belt is not broken, but a loss of power on hills followed by the motor ceasing operating doesn't bode well. The loss of belt tension may have stripped belt teeth and been just as bad as the belt breaking completely.

RedDragon

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW “Judy Sue White”
I'm leaving North Carolina in about an hour, still have 10 hour drive to get to you if you want me to tow you. Not sure if it is or isn't legal, but you would have to ride in your car while being towed or catch a ride with someone else, I'm stacked to the roof with stuff for tdifest
I was planning to help volunteer with preperations for the fest on Friday, but I could help out with the car instead. I've got a lot of tools, don't have a triple square set though
You aren't 100% on the way, if you want me to come get you thats fine, just give me let me know by this afternoon
Jon is gonna be on his way up with a dolly to pick us up. I appreciate all the help from everyone. Ill keep updates posted.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Sounds as if there might be the opportunity at the Fest for a seminar on cylinder head replacement...

Between Paramedick and the other Gurus who will be in in attendance, RedDragon should be in good hands...

Yuri

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
If you guys need a cylinder head, bolts, gasket, coolant, and TB kit I have thos on hand. Let me know and I'll get these boxed up.

How many hole head gasket ??

Herm

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I'll be leaving PA at about 3AM Friday. If you think of anything else you need let me know.:)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Wow! Got stuck in traffic for an hour this morning immediately upon entering the interstate in Cumberland, MD........ that's the bad luck! Good luck, the Vanagon ran fine all day. Results of losing an hour put us at this Campground east of Bennington, VT at dark ................ all tucked in now!

OP, glad you have received tons of help!

RedDragon

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW “Judy Sue White”
Thanks everyone! We are going to dig into it tomorrow. Aaron is bring a complete head with him from Oregon. Everyone has tools, best place for a TDI to break down. A positive is that it will be a great learning experience.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I picked up Aaron at the airport with head in hand. He's in my B4V and should be there by now. If anyone needs any extras or tools, let me know and I'll bring them up in the morning.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Wow nowhere else can you see a bad luck/ good luck scenario like this !!!
TDI club rocks !!!
Happens a lot more than you think on other forums.

On another forum I'm on, I've see the following:

- tranny swap in a parking lot. Broken trans guy drove to the event and the good trans guy trailered his car. Each guy removed their tranny and swapped the good tranny in so he could get home.

Another crashed on the road course and broke his radiator. Another guy removed his from his trailered car so he could get home.

My car caught fire (minor - I put it out before engulfed but did some damage)in CO and within 3 hours, I had a car hauler ready to go and 95% of all the parts I needed shipped to my house, FREE the following week!

Good luck OP!

rallypilot

Powderhound just sent me this thread. If lug_nut is right, belt not broken and engine seized the problem is a little bigger. I have a motor if you need it, let me keep the pump and ancillaries and you can have it for $800. I hope you fix yours but I just thought I would let you know one is out there and I'm in NH so not too far away. Good luck.

RedDragon

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW “Judy Sue White”
IT LIVES!!!!!! I can't thank enough everyone that it getting my TDI back on the road I really can't. This truly is an amazing group of people.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Happens a lot more than you think on other forums.
On another forum I'm on, I've see the following:
- tranny swap in a parking lot. Broken trans guy drove to the event and the good trans guy trailered his car. Each guy removed their tranny and swapped the good tranny in so he could get home.
Another crashed on the road course and broke his radiator. Another guy removed his from his trailered car so he could get home.
My car caught fire (minor - I put it out before engulfed but did some damage)in CO and within 3 hours, I had a car hauler ready to go and 95% of all the parts I needed shipped to my house, FREE the following week!
Good luck OP!
I've changed an engine in the drag strip lanes at Waterfest.....:D

Good to hear all is sorted out.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
This is so good to hear! As we've been saying all weekend, this couldn't be a better place for something like this to happen. That's not just spin. TDIclub rocks it!