Road/Hybrid Biking

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I'm bringing my road bike. Is there anyone else? The loop route I found is a total of 30 miles with the highest grade of 4%.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I'll be bringing my $5 fleamarket 'commuter' as I don't know the availability of security.
What's the route you have in mind?

Maple Shade, eh? My third TDI (red wagon) I bought and towed home from Maple-Shade....
I'm seeing a pattern here. The flea-market bike needed a lot of TLC and tweaking to be rideable, too.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I'm probably bringing my folding bike, although a 30 mile ride is quite long for it, and I'm slow (especially with the gearing, which is 40.8 GI in 1st, 55.5 GI in 2nd, and that's all she wrote (2-speed coaster kickback hub - awesome for pootling, sucks for long rides)). I'd be interested in a shorter ride, though - 5-10 mi would be great.

If I could bring the trike, I'd gladly do a 30 miler, but that thing is too much of a pain to deal with on trips (especially because I'm going to need to stop along the way, which makes it that much worse), as I found out in Ypsi last year.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Careful out there.

On Rt 2 this past June, there was a fatality during the Treck Across Maine going from Sunday River to Farmington on Day 1.

Theres a lot of logging going on out there, not so much on the weekends but during the week you're sharing the road with trucks with bark flying off isn't the most fun.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Careful out there.

On Rt 2 this past June, there was a fatality during the Treck Across Maine going from Sunday River to Farmington on Day 1.

Theres a lot of logging going on out there, not so much on the weekends but during the week you're sharing the road with trucks with bark flying off isn't the most fun.
Thanks that good to know. If it gets to crazy, I will call my sag (aka my wife)

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The Trek cyclist was killed because he swerved into the path of the truck while taking a drink of water, not because the truck was too close to the cyclist. In fact, the truck was well outside the state mandatory 3' rule and the driver was not cited. The Trek Across Maine starts at Sunday River, and the shoulder down route 2 to Rumford is pretty wide and the grade good for cycling. While there are some logging trucks on the roads, they're nothing I'd worry about on that road.

I have a 58cm Cannondale Black Lightning (1988) someone is welcome to use if they want. I'll only be attending on Saturday due to work, but I'm sure we can work something out to transport the bike. I also have two fixed gear bikes (56 & 58cm) if there is anyone sadistic enough to ride them. Sorry, no one borrows the Merlin since it's so rare.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
Happened a mile behind someone we know that was doing the ride.

As posted, it's believed that he was taking a drink, only had one hand on the bike, and the turbulence from a passing truck caused him to lose balance.

I don't like riding the roads here in central MA. Crappy, narrow roads around me. Fortunately, the neighborhood we are in has a total of 7 miles of wide roads that don't get a lot of traffic. It does cut down on overall ride speed, though, as I constantly have to turn onto streets.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I like the bike trail system around where I am, just wish it was more extensive.

I actually ride slower on the trails, because I don't feel like I have to ride fast.

MonsterDog

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
When I moved to No VA (for work), I made sure to be near the W&OD, which gives 44 miles of biking.. Granted MUP's have their own problems, but generally cars aren't one of them....

In fact, I'm not even bringing my bike this year to the Fest. Roads look a bit hilly and questionable for my tastes. And with all the hikes on site - no need..

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
Sorry, no one borrows the Merlin since it's so rare.
Merlin (titanium), Kestrel (one piece composite), Alan (bonded composite) Kirk (cast magnesium), Vitus (bonded aluminum), Cannondale (welded aluminum), I've ridden them (a benefit of working in a high end bike shop). I still keep coming back to steel.

I'll have blocks of possible ride time free from fest duties and events on Friday afternoon, Saturday before breakfast, Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon, and maybe Monday morning depending on when I have to depart for home.

Friday night / Saturday early morning is expected to be down near freezing. Saturday night / Sunday morning in the low to mid 40's (5c), and there's no group breakfast that day.
What I'm thinking is to use Friday noon/afternoon to ride into Bethel to scope things out and see what's open for breakfast on Sunday. Then Sunday ride to breakfast, pick up some stuff for lunch, and ride back in time for the show starting at 10.
That's my thinking anyway.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
There is a 14 mile loop near Songo Pond that doesn't look too bad.
If anyone is interested in off road bike trails there is a nice area nearby. It cost to get in but the trails are well maintained and hybrid and touring bikes can be used, not just mountain bikes and they offer rentals at http://greatglentrails.com/summer/rates-rentals/
OR there is a 18 mile rail trail that goes from Gorham to Cherry Pond called Presidential Range Rail Trail which is free. We could just do part of the rail trail if thats too long. We can figure out when once we are there.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Merlin (titanium), Kestrel (one piece composite), Alan (bonded composite) Kirk (cast magnesium), Vitus (bonded aluminum), Cannondale (welded aluminum), I've ridden them (a benefit of working in a high end bike shop). I still keep coming back to steel.

I'll have blocks of possible ride time free from fest duties and events on Friday afternoon, Saturday before breakfast, Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon, and maybe Monday morning depending on when I have to depart for home.

Friday night / Saturday early morning is expected to be down near freezing. Saturday night / Sunday morning in the low to mid 40's (5c), and there's no group breakfast that day.
What I'm thinking is to use Friday noon/afternoon to ride into Bethel to scope things out and see what's open for breakfast on Sunday. Then Sunday ride to breakfast, pick up some stuff for lunch, and ride back in time for the show starting at 10.
That's my thinking anyway.
I will know more on Wednesday. When I find out what they need me for.

Lug_Nut

TDI
I'm going to leave the bike at home. My repetitive stress injury / carpal tunnel has really flared up this week. I've tried drop bars, flat bars, bar end extenders, I even bought and installed cruiser bars trying to find something that would let me hold on.

Now, If someone has a tandem and needs a one-armed stoker........

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I wasn't sure if we would bring the tandem this year, but it looks like there will be quite a few with bikes so we're in. Lug_Nut, you'll have to fight my wife for her stoker seat, but we could give it a try if you wanted to go for a ride. She recently had surgery on here arm so she was riding one handed for a bit.

Lug_Nut

TDI
I wasn't sure if we would bring the tandem this year, but it looks like there will be quite a few with bikes so we're in. Lug_Nut, you'll have to fight my wife for her stoker seat, but we could give it a try if you wanted to go for a ride. She recently had surgery on her arm so she was riding one handed for a bit.
I'll pack the helmet, clothes, shoes and pedals on the off chance that can occur. I ususally ride a 56 cm road frame (32 inch inseam, size 11+ shoe). Would the tandem's 'engine bay' accommodate that swap?

Lug_Nut, so this isn't you?
Might be, his right hand is empty.
No, a unicycle is one thing I haven't ridden, nor even tried. Monocycle, yes, unicycle, no.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Tommorw I will check out some local roads.On a early moring ride.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
LugNut: Have you ever tried aerobars (a la tri-geeks)? Takes the weight of your upper body off the soft tissue of your hands and onto the skeletal structure (elbows).

I used to get numb hands after even 10-15 minutes, but since switching to aerobars, I can go 100km+ no problem (well, apart from some saddle-soreness and dead legs. :))

Lug_Nut

TDI
This is an injury that had come up in the past month. I had been hoping that it would be temporary and resolved by now.
I've had clip-on aero extenders but don't think I'm in the condition that allows climbing from the seated position that they require.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
This is an injury that had come up in the past month. I had been hoping that it would be temporary and resolved by now.
I've had clip-on aero extenders but don't think I'm in the condition that allows climbing from the seated position that they require.
Climbing in a seated position, even without aerobars is good.... as you're actually more efficient.

Also helps to have appropiate gearing.... so I went with a 32T cassette in the back, with a compact crank up front.

...interesting... though I have a 32" inseam (though I'm 5'10") and I ride a 54cm road bike (endurance geometry)...

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Climbing from aero bars isn't the best since your stability is reduced due to the aero position. I equate climbing to actually having to get out of the saddle, but I also have race gruppo on the bikes and not compact (53/12 to 39/25), so I'm out more than others.

I am 5'11" with a 31" inseam and I ride a 56 or 58, depending on componentry, a 54 is just too short and my knees hit often.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Aero bars are good for going straight,on the open road.

Lug_Nut

TDI
...but I also have race gruppo on the bikes and not compact (53/12 to 39/25), so I'm out more than others.
My straight cog days are long behind me now. 13-18 cluster with 42-53 rings? Yeah, back in my 20s and 30s. Now it's 13-23.
The mountain bike's granny is a 24 chain ring and a 28 cog in back.
Wait, it's worse than that! The rear is a 24 incher so that's even lower gear inches than a 26 or 29.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
My road bike:
Compact crank (50-34, Shimano 105) with 11-32T cassette (Shimano XT RD)

Cross bike:
Cross crank (46-36, FSA Omega) with 11-32T cassette (SHimano SLX RD)

My MTB 29er
Triple with 42T removed (iirc, left with 32-24T) with 11-36T cassette

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I'm pretty comfortable with my 53/39 and 12-21 cassette, hardly ever use the 19 or 21 on the back. Most of the roads have at most a 6% grade around here, and I can power up that sitting without too much strain; once it goes to 8% and beyond (there are a couple roads around that have 8-12% pitches), I'm out of the saddle more than I'm sitting. And yeah - and 12%, I'm wishing for a 23 or even a 25 on the back.

I know that climbing while in the saddle is more efficient (going back to when I had the SRM PowerMeter cranks), but it feels good to get up out of the saddle occasionally, if only to prevent other body parts (more delicate than hands) from going numb.

Giant TCR Advanced SL with Dura Ace (compact frame design, size "medium" so it's a measured 50cm while my "normal" size is a 56cm).
Liked it so much (unbelievably smooth ride for a super-stiff frame), that after a couple years, I put the heavier wheels on that one and named it my rain bike, and bought a new TCR Advanced SL in the Medium-Large frame size (52cm measured, I think), which lets me stretch out and is just slightly more comfortable to ride. With Dura Ace drivetrain and some nice Bontrager XXX-lite bars/stem, as well as the Dura Ace C24 wheels, it rides 2-3km/h faster for me.