TDIs on Mt Washington

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I've driven the auto road a few times and think climbing it in winter is much easier on the nerves. Those drop offs are hairy.

Not to say I wouldn't do it again, so I'm in.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :cool:
Yea I'm in the middle of preparing to move, closing out an insurance claim, piles of paperwork for work and preparing the TDI to make the trip to NH and up the mountain, needless to say I'm busy. I'm hoping to get a few minutes to design the logo tomorrow night and will post it when I get something

Climbing in the winter sounds like a fun adventure, I would love to do that one day. I also heard there's 2 back country ski/snowboard trails going down the mountain, and they are certainly not for the faint of heart with 30 or so ft drop offs and such. Id still like to give them a try one of these winters.

Sent from my Bosch Motronic ECM via VCDS Version 1.9LVE

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Just got an email back from the folks at the Auto Road. They haven't verified that the road is available on our chosen date (August 31st), but they will know for sure tomorrow morning and we can go from there.

Catering is not available after hours, so that opening isn't possible. We'll have to make other meal plans for Saturday night... I'm thinking dinner on your own, as there are numerous excellent eateries and restaurants in the area (small local things, no chains).

I'll have more details and firm pricing tomorrow after our phone call. :)

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI

It's proving pretty tough to find a good high res image of the Auto Road logo. This is the best I could get, so post one up if you can find a bigger one to use.

This is what I came up with just playing around in paint. I can't seem to choose a font, there's just so many lol. This one was inspired by the usual sticker you get for going up the mountain. I didnt have the time to change every pixel of color to the same to represent what would be "sticker" color, but you get the idea.

Just to clarify, "sticker" is what I use to refer to the part that sticks on the surface, and will be whatever color vinyl we choose. "Negative" space is the spots that are not "sticker" but function as part of the total image.

Colors shown above:

Black: Sticker
Green: Sticker
White: Negative
Blue: Negative

I left an original logo on the bottom for anyone who happens to have more photoshop experience (and the program itself...) than I do. I'm going to work on it more tomorrow and think about how I can integrate the "TDIFest 2013" into it.

biohazardtj

TDI
2000,jetta/2005,wagon
if my car only makes it half way do i still get half a sticker? not that im worried or anythign but when me and Loosecannon get into "off road" adventures one of us ususlly ends up getting towed somewhere.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The mountain has confirmed availability and pricing... now we just need more responses to my poll thread before we can lock this in and do it.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
The mountain has confirmed availability and pricing... now we just need more responses to my poll thread before we can lock this in and do it.
This is for Saturday afternoon, correct?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Saturday evening.

Depart hotel @ ~5:15PM
Leave Mt. Washington @ ~8:30PM

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The group drive on the Mt. Washington Auto Road has been CONFIRMED!

Anyone interested in participating in this event should log into the registration system at http://reg.tdifest.com and edit your registration to add this event. Remember to add it for each person in your party who wants to do the group drive, even if he/she is only a passenger.

Cancellation Policy: We will ONLY cancel the group drive in the event of unsafe weather conditions on the Auto Road, as determined by Auto Road staff.

Restrooms: Restrooms are only available at the base of the mountain. There will be no restrooms available at the summit, as the National Park building will be closed. Please plan accordingly.

Driving Restrictions: Our group will be lead by an Auto Road van and followed by an Auto Road van. The Auto Road encourages everyone to have fun, but please no speeding, showing off, or otherwise acting like a fool. The Auto Road is both challenging and dangerous, and it is not an appropriate place to practice your racing skills. Also keep in mind that the general public will be leaving the mountain (going down) while we are going up, as they are all required to leave the summit at 6:45 PM. I don't know how many people this will be, but be prepared to encounter some traffic as we ascend the mountain. Going down, it will be all ours.

Any questions? Let me know!

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
The group drive on the Mt. Washington Auto Road has been CONFIRMED!

Anyone interested in participating in this event should log into the registration system at http://reg.tdifest.com and edit your registration to add this event. Remember to add it for each person in your party who wants to do the group drive, even if he/she is only a passenger.
DONE! I updated Lisa's and my registration.

I'm trying to find out where my BMW is....it was due to arrive TODAY at the port in NJ. BMWusa.com website still shows it as "En route to US" status. :( I've been checking on it every few hours. I'm getting antsy waiting for it. :(

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
DONE! I updated Lisa's and my registration.

I'm trying to find out where my BMW is....it was due to arrive TODAY at the port in NJ. BMWusa.com website still shows it as "En route to US" status. :( I've been checking on it every few hours. I'm getting antsy waiting for it. :(
I did the same when ordering my 2011. I annoyed the hell out of my sales guy to the point he promised to email me weekly updates. Its really awesome to order a car, but the waiting sucks. How long has it been?

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to clarify, it is $30 per person not per car right?

n1das

TDI
How long has it been?
Not intending to derail the thread since the answer is O/T...order went in July 1 and things progressed faster than expected. Last info was it was due to arrive at the port TODAY in NJ and then it's another 5-10 days of waiting until it arrives at my BMW dealer.

I'm hoping to have it in time for TDIfest and to drive it up the Mt. Washington Auto Road.

n1das

TDI
Just to clarify, it is $30 per person not per car right?

It's $30 per person, even if they are riding along as a passenger. My g/f Lisa is riding with me and I paid $60 after updating our registrations.

Last edited:

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
It's $30 per person, even if they are riding along as a passenger. My g/f Lisa is riding with me and I paid $60 after updating our registrations.
Cool just making sure.

Don't they prep the car and install some of the smaller, more modular options at the dealer before delivery to you?

n1das

TDI
Cool just making sure.

Don't they prep the car and install some of the smaller, more modular options at the dealer before delivery to you?

It would show up as "Finishing touches" on the timeline when tracking it online. The status still shows "en route to US". :( It might already be at the port in NJ, just the website hasn't been updated yet. I'm getting antsy waiting for it.

It should be awesome driving it up the Mt.Washington Auto Road. :cool:

I agree with Lawson's heads up about driving on the Auto Road:
Driving Restrictions: Our group will be lead by an Auto Road van and followed by an Auto Road van. The Auto Road encourages everyone to have fun, but please no speeding, showing off, or otherwise acting like a fool. The Auto Road is both challenging and dangerous, and it is not an appropriate place to practice your racing skills. Also keep in mind that the general public will be leaving the mountain (going down) while we are going up, as they are all required to leave the summit at 6:45 PM. I don't know how many people this will be, but be prepared to encounter some traffic as we ascend the mountain. Going down, it will be all ours.
That was the intent of my earlier post where I mentioned the challenges and dangers on the Auto Road as a heads up for anyone who has never driven it before. You have to pay attention and give it the respect it commands. IIRC, one of the rules is cars coming down the mountain are required to yield to cars coming up the mountain when encountering each other in tight places along the way. In some spots, when two full size vehicles should meet, the vehicles are inches apart beside each other while the inner vehicle is inches from the ditch on the inside and the outer vehicle is only inches away from the edge of a steep dropoff. The ride is challenging and can be dangerous, but it is a ride unlike any other. :cool:

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=566454000

This is likely the ship your car is on. I'm out my clutch started slipping last week. New one is a few weeks out.

It would show up as "Finishing touches" on the timeline when tracking it online. The status still shows "en route to US". :( It might already be at the port in NJ, just the website hasn't been updated yet. I'm getting antsy waiting for it.

It should be awesome driving it up the Mt.Washington Auto Road. :cool:

I agree with Lawson's heads up about driving on the Auto Road:

That was the intent of my earlier post where I mentioned the challenges and dangers on the Auto Road as a heads up for anyone who has never driven it before. You have to pay attention and give it the respect it commands. IIRC, one of the rules is cars coming down the mountain are required to yield to cars coming up the mountain when encountering each other in tight places along the way. In some spots, when two full size vehicles should meet, the vehicles are inches apart beside each other while the inner vehicle is inches from the ditch on the inside and the outer vehicle is only inches away from the edge of a steep dropoff. The ride is challenging and can be dangerous, but it is a ride unlike any other. :cool:

n1das

TDI
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=566454000
This is likely the ship your car is on. I'm out my clutch started slipping last week. New one is a few weeks out.
I posted an update on my car in the BMW 5-series thread: (To keep it out of this thread since it's O/T.)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4266338&postcount=83

How bad is the clutch slip? Will it hold well enough to climb Mt. Washington?

The very last part of the climb involves a short but serious 18% grade up to the parking lots at the summit. When I've done it in the past there is usually traffic ahead of me and pedestrians crossing the parking lot at the top of this short but serious climb. You usually end up having to stop or go slowly and requires 1st gear and just about all the torque your TDI can make to get into the parking lot. It's one of those few cases where I've wished my TDI were geared a little lower in first gear.

Last edited:

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm always wishing my TDIs had a bit taller of a 1st gear, mainly for performance. I find that (especially on the 2011) its tough to hit 2nd in a good part of the power band (2500 or so) without revving up first to like 4000, which I don't like to do that often.