www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old October 24th, 2001, 07:51   #1
RussellMoat
Veteran Member

Default HOW TO DISABLE SIDE AIRBAG

I HAVE MY PASSENGER SEAT OUT TO REUPHOLSTER IN LEATHER. I KNOW THAT THERE IS A "TEST HARNESS" THAT CAN BE INSTALLED AND IS REFERENCED IN A TSB. I CAN NOT FIND THE REFERENCE CAN ANYONE ASSIST. THANKS [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
RussellMoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 10:25   #2
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38
Default Re: HOW TO DISABLE SIDE AIRBAG

Go to http://www.zelenda.com/VW/newtools.html and you will find the tool you are looking for.

I am almost positive the tool you need is the following. Some brighter person can tell you that.

VAS 5061
Price $16.50
AIRBAG-ADAPTER

Used to prevent unintentional triggering of the side airbags during removal and installation of the driver and passanger seats except audi A8
Curious Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 20:54   #3
BMW Guy
Veteran Member

Wouldn’t it just be easier to disconnect the battery?
Just a thought.
BMW Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 21:56   #4
MOGolf
Veteran Member

FWIW, the Bentley depicts tool VAS 5094. They do not quite look identical. The hardcopy Zelenda catalog I have lists the 5094 for $21.50.

It also says that "Before working on any airbag, steering wheel or steering column component, always disconnect the battery first."

But your common sense told you that already, I'll bet.

Just be sure the upholstery is designed to split for the airbag if it deploys. You probably already did that too.

I don't know if Bentley is brighter than Curious Chris. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I have my doubts.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: MIGolf ]</p>
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2001, 11:54   #5
vaccineman

I received my Bentley manual after the fact, so I didn't know better, but I simply removed my front seats without incident. I was 'alarmed' after reading that I needed a special tool to prevent deployment, but the fact of the matter is that they did not. I didn't disconnect the battery, but I didn't have the ignition turned to 'on' either. Blind luck on my part, but fortunately good enough here. I removed them to remove my waterlogged carpet and reinstalled when the new carpet arrived.

Thinking through this, though, you'd have to remove the seat before you could install the device anyway, right? I mean, the device plugs into the airbag wiring harness, so you'd need to disconnect it prior.
vaccineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2001, 01:01   #6
Steve
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 6.7 l/100 km (42 mpg)

Is the seat easy to remove? I'd like to take my seat out to investigate the heated seat element, but haven't got around to it yet.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2001, 01:12   #7
BRBarian
Veteran Member

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BMW Guy:
Wouldn’t it just be easier to disconnect the battery?
Just a thought.
<hr></blockquote>

Not good enough... A dischage of static electricity could trigger a boom. Not nice if you're trying to put some leather on. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
BRBarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2001, 17:31   #8
nuke
Veteran Member

Definitely disconnect the battery and the 5094 cable shorts the airbag terminals in the seat so that an accidental spark of static electricity will not fire off the explosives in the airbags.

I had my frontseats done by a pro shop and they even had the VW shorting harness as depicted. I think they take that seriously.
nuke is offline   Reply With Quote