TDIFest 2013 coming to Sunday River Ski Resort (Newry, Maine)

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Sunday River

I appreciate your feedback, but at this stage in the game your alternative lodging suggestions will only hurt how successful the event is.

That said, we will surely add some of your must-see items to the itinerary. :cool:

Welcome to TDIClub. :)
Thanks for the Welcome.

Actually it won't hurt as has been proven by Maine Hog Meet, Maine European Motorcycle Enthusiasts , and The Woods Rallye all rotate through there ahead of you guys...the bottom line is that SR needs your business more then you could believe. ...that's a fact. The Woods Rallye is there meat and potatoes for the summer. It's also a great spectatur event. It's an F1A event or whatever they call it here in the states.

As those other organizations have learned ... they get good rates but a heap of participants opt for other options that meet there personal needs. Just saying...

Don't negotiate with SR tell them your ballpark they really can come close if not match your demands. Remember it's there way OFF season...They have to wait another month before Leap Peepers show and three more before it's ski season. Between the Grand Summit and Jordan Grand theres 700 empty beds. Thats only two of the numerous facilities and beds they need to sell/rent.

I would suggest getting a hold of Mike Stackhouse via the MEME facebook page because I would be willing to bet the number of participants will be close thus the rates at the Mtn should be similiar also.

When/if you contact Mike drop my name. He can give the skinny. I think this is going on year 10 for MEME.

I haven't been to Maine since I left in 07 so this event may prompt me to do a road trip.:cool:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Chris,

Thanks for the info. We'll definitely look into MEME for some more information.

As for SR - we have already negotiated what we feel to be a very good rate for the time/location/offerings. The whole process took several months, but I think it's going to be worth the time invested to get what we need for the event.

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Just trying to help out...If you get a hold of Stackhouse he is an excellent resource ...the heart and soul of Maine European Bike Enthusiasts..he make there bike meets what they are today. We worked at SR for years... he's got the beta.

David133

TDI
Passet TDI SE 6M
How many times have you had to drive across NV? :D I've done it enough that I kind of dread it now. I've gone via US-40, it's replacement I-80, and via "The Loneliest Highway in America" US-50. I have many memories: crankshaft damaged in Wells Nevada due to oil loss in August 1970; transmission damage in Wells due to a service tech not tightening the filler plug enough in Nebraska

I lost a tire while driving and Caddy ambulance on I80 a couple of hours outside of Reno

BMKruse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW
Reviving!!! No chatter in a few days. Have already planned a few stops along the way. Stop one to get Malone stage 2 installed and modded along with DSG.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
We're in!

We'll be making a big loop visiting friends and family in CT, MA, Nantucket, ME, NH and upstate NY.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Looks like I will be flying into Boston and renting a car for this TDIFest. Anita wants to spend some time in Halifax so we are looking at options, including a cruise out of Boston to Quebec City. Tried to get her to go for an 8000 mile road trip, but...she has other ideas.

BTW, have not seen room pricing posted yet.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Hotel Rooms

Looks like I will be flying into Boston and renting a car for this TDIFest. Anita wants to spend some time in Halifax so we are looking at options, including a cruise out of Boston to Quebec City. Tried to get her to go for an 8000 mile road trip, but...she has other ideas.

Room pricing will depend on what style of room you want. I'll start a Hotel Room thread once we get the group discount code and everything squared away for reservations (should be within the next week).

Room Type - Room Rate:
Studio Superior - $105
Standard Unit - $105
Studio Deluxe Unit - $105

1Bedroom Superior - $135
2Bedroom Suite - $205
3Bedroom Suite - $315

Maine tax is 7% and resort fees are 7%, for a total of +14% on the above pricing.

Here is a description of all of the room types: http://www.sundayriver.com/lodging/LodgingDescriptions/GrandSummitHotel.html

I stayed in a 1 Bedroom Superior that was very nice - the kitchen is a great bonus for a weekend getaway.

**We have Standard Units and Studio Deluxes listed on our contract, but all of the rooms are available and count towards our room-nights. 1, 2, and 3 bedroom suites have limited availability.

**Don't be scared by the pull-out sofa beds and Murphy beds. All beds have amazing Boyne mattresses - in the top two beds I have slept in (Hyatt is the other of the top two). :cool:

Last edited:

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold

You used to be able to catch a ferry from Bar Harbor, ME, to Yarmouth, NS, but it is not running anymore. It probably 9 or 10 hours to drive from Sunday River to Halifax. Cruises are nice too, if you wanted to fit in Quebec City and make a big trip of it. I know they have them.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You could have your own little hostel if you get the 3-bedroom unit, complete with bunk beds. ;) :p

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'll book that. Anyone else in to share? :)
I currently have the 3-bedroom on hold (there is only one)... we might be using it for administrative stuff but I'm not sure yet. I'll let you know! :cool:

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My Atomic Snoring dictates that I will be getting a room to myself... LOL :eek:

MrVermin

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
You used to be able to catch a ferry from Bar Harbor, ME, to Yarmouth, NS, but it is not running anymore. It probably 9 or 10 hours to drive from Sunday River to Halifax. Cruises are nice too, if you wanted to fit in Quebec City and make a big trip of it. I know they have them.
Anita landed in Halifax at age 4. I landed at Ellis Island at age 4. We toured Ellis Island 2 years ago. Want to do the same at pier 21 in Halifax. TDIFest in Maine is a great chance to do it.

DubNation

Veteran Member
TDI
02,jet,02 golf,03 bug and still looking
welll i guess theres hope for 2014....i graduate school that weekend.... and cant miss it.

sounds like a great place to have the event!

99.5GOlf

TDI
1999.5 Golf
Cannot wait for TDIFest! As a side note....if anyone is a golfer I'd be willing to set up a tee time/group date. It's early but I'm feeling the itch!
And Veedub, check your pm's please!
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I currently have the 3-bedroom on hold (there is only one)... we might be using it for administrative stuff but I'm not sure yet. I'll let you know! :cool:
How many 2-bedrooms are there (no bunk beds - just 2 doubles in each)? If mom can get her strength back we may make a family trip of it.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
How many 2-bedrooms are there (no bunk beds - just 2 doubles in each)? If mom can get her strength back we may make a family trip of it.
Bill,

There are two 2-bedroom suites in the hotel. If you want one, I would recommend making your reservations soon. Our rate for the 2-bedroom is $205/night.

I'll go ahead and post this now since I just received the info from the resort... I'll start a hotel thread later on this evening with all of the details, restrictions, payment policies, etc.

You can make your reservation by dialing 800 207-2365 and referencing group code 85b22m for TDIFest 2013.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Is it Friday night til Sunday or til Monday?
Arrive on Friday afternoon/evening, depart on Monday morning.

The hotel is also honoring the group rate for several days on either end, so you can extend your stay and take advantage of our discounted rates - tour the area, see the sights, relax, whatever. :)

CrazyWJ242

Veteran Member
TDI
04 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI, 03 Beetle TDI
I'm thinking im down... was talking to the old lady, and she seems pretty interested although we will have a little VW rider on the way... due in 6 weeks :-D so we will have to see if it'll be a family event later down the road... might make a trip down just to meet some faces though... I'll have to be a maybe until a few weeks prior im sure... :-/

Sent From My Cellular Telephone... so excuse autocorrect.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Outstanding! How was the booking process for you?
It was very simple. I did have to wait on hold for several minutes before I actually got to talk to a booking agent, but once I got to talk to one, it was easy and pleasant :)

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Hmmm, thinking about the drive from WPB Florida. Wife is in, so long as it doesn't affect other plans. But, dammmmnnn, that's a long drive at 60mph. If we make the trip you'll all get to see why.

When are the threads starting about people caravaning and meeting up for the drive? ;)

Jason