TDIFest 2013 coming to Sunday River Ski Resort (Newry, Maine)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Come on up then, I've got all the hiking and climbing gear needed.
Oh I meant hill climb in the vehicle! I haven't been repelling or climbing in at least 15 years - bad needs and fat now. :(

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
You'd be surprised at what resorts try to do. I've heard that some have developed a non-snow use for their ski runs. Again it seems to be only these "resort" places that are so greedy.
There are "zip line" rides and such, and chair lift for mountain bikes (and bike rental, too) that are not included in the room rate, so if that's what is meant by greedy, non-snow use fees means of prying what would otherwise be raffle ticket and auction money from the club, then yes, there are greedy no-snow fees that are available for you to use if you wish.

I'm planning on bring my own bike. Shall I bring one for you as well?

Yeah, Reno/Tahoe would be nice. I thought so when I drove through on my way to the Portland fest (stopped in at Bently Biofuels in Minden), and yeah, two weeks driving for what in effect is a weekend can be a lot, but its as much the memories from the trips as the actual festivities that I enjoy.

I haven't been repelling or climbing in at least 15 years - bad needs and fat now. :(
Oh, I don't know about that. I think you are repelling.:D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Yeah, Reno/Tahoe would be nice. I thought so when I drove through on my way to the Portland fest (stopped in at Bently Biofuels in Minden), and yeah, two weeks driving for what in effect is a weekend can be a lot, but its as much the memories from the trips as the actual festivities that I enjoy.
How many times have you had to drive across NV? :D I've done it enough that I kind of dread it now. I've gone via US-40, it's replacement I-80, and via "The Loneliest Highway in America" US-50. I have many memories: crankshaft damaged in Wells Nevada due to oil loss in August 1970; transmission damage in Wells due to a service tech not tightening the filler plug enough in Nebraska (this was in July 1978); coming around a curve in the evening into a cattle herd east of Ely in November 1978 (fortunately I avoided hitting any animals); being blown off the roadway when I drove over an icy patch just as a high cross wind hit me 5 miles west of Eureka in May 1999. And after leaving the Sierras, nothing but miles of bleak desert. I try to stop at every large city just for a break: Lovelock, Winnemucca, Battle Mountain, Elko, and Wells on US-40/I-80; Fallon, Austin, Eureka, and Ely on US-50.

Yes, Minden is nice, as are Carson City, Virginia City (for history). My local Miata group drove through Minden during a drive when we had our 20th Anniversary event at Bear Valley, CA in September 2010.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
to far for me but a nice area though. maybe they will have a club fest in ca
Where in the CPR are you located? There are the Bay Area GTGs in Spring & Fall, plus various ones in SoCal if you just want to meet with other TDI owners.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Maine???

Could not be further away from San Diego!! Even Alaska or Hawaii would be closer to me. 3086 miles from San Diego.

But, NONE of us in the Golden State are willing to step up to the plate. So have a great time!!

Good thing is, Montreal would be on the way. Anita grew up there and has family and friends in Montreal. May just be able to get her to go across the country. Last time we drove to Montreal, we came back with a spart TDI engine from Montreal! Will I get lucky agaim?

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
How many times have you had to drive across NV?
I never "had to" drive across Nevada. I chose to do so.
I suppose if I had such an unreliable set of cars ( I hope that litany of incidents wasn't one car), and such discomfort in it / them that, as you've previously posted, a one day's drive was my tolerance limit, that I also suppose I'd also not wish to stray too far from cities with parts stores and mechanics.

Maybe you shouldn't get a VW....;)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LOL! The first was a 1960 Rambler station wagon. The second was caused by a mechanic that serviced the transmission in my GERMAN-built 1973 Mercury Capri V6 who didn't tighten the filler plug. How does a herd of cattle covering the highway make an un-reliable car? Though technically you are right about the car as it was an U.S.-built Ford Mustang. The last was due to the weather and the Miata being an LWS on a patch of icy highway and a high gust crosswind. I'd say it was the weather that was unreliable.

And it is due to VW maintenance that I won't take Cranberry on US 50 cross NV.

Lug_Nut

TDI
How does a herd of cattle covering the highway make an un-reliable car?
bad brakes, poor headlight pattern, faulty wipers...
And it is due to VW maintenance that I won't take Cranberry on US 50 cross NV.
And it is due to Fred's that I don't hesitate to take any US road.
You wouldn't happen to have any of those Capri V6 items left, would you? I could use 2/3 of them in my V4 Saab.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
bad brakes, poor headlight pattern, faulty wipers...
And it is due to Fred's that I don't hesitate to take any US road.
You wouldn't happen to have any of those Capri V6 items left, would you? I could use 2/3 of them in my V4 Saab.
Well, it WAS a two month old 1979 Ford Mustang (this was in November 1978) on a 2 lane road going around a 90 degree curve ...

I don't know of any TDI gurus or VW dealers on US 50 between Reno, NV and Delta, UT :D

Nope. I sold the Capri in 1979 when I was stationed at Bergstom AFB, in Austin, TX. Still wish I'd bought the Offy intake manifold for it. Saab V4, huh? In a Sonnett? I always wanted one of them.

Green Hare

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Once again, congratulations to this year's organizing committee and hope to see you in Maine.
Well now, this is interesting... we just might have to figure in on making this trek. How does the resort/area seem to look for youth activities? We'd have a 10-year old in tow that most likely would find herself rather bored after a short while talking about cars...

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I am so glad it will be close and I will be able to help out. If any of you are into paddling, I would be willing to organize an afternoon on the Androscoggin River as an activity, or a hike to a local rock-hounding area (which will of course require an interesting drive to get to the trail head).

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Well now, this is interesting... we just might have to figure in on making this trek. How does the resort/area seem to look for youth activities? We'd have a 10-year old in tow that most likely would find herself rather bored after a short while talking about cars...
There's tons of activities for kids. One of the volunteers is considering a kayak trip down the Androscoggin river, there are zip lines and chair lifts at the resort along with a pool, hot tubs and more. There's hiking, rockhounding in the area, there are golf courses and other activities. If you look at the Bethel, ME Chamber of Commerce site it should give you a good overall view of available activities for kids. You'll also be near Evan's Notch State Park with some excellent hiking and waterfalls and Grafton Notch State Park that has some very cool hiking over granite slabs along a small stream.

These are just a few ideas for you. You can contact the Maine Park Service and find out what they suggest in the area.

Steve

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Maine???

Could not be further away from San Diego!! Even Alaska or Hawaii would be closer to me. 3086 miles from San Diego.

But, NONE of us in the Golden State are willing to step up to the plate. So have a great time!!

Good thing is, Montreal would be on the way. Anita grew up there and has family and friends in Montreal. May just be able to get her to go across the country. Last time we drove to Montreal, we came back with a spart TDI engine from Montreal! Will I get lucky agaim?
i hear that! But it gives me a chance to do 1-stop shopping! See the immediate family and the extended family, all in 1 trip! Woot! :D

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Ok I am a TDI virgin is there a rundown of what occurs at these fests ? Be gentle with the flames

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Ok I am a TDI virgin is there a rundown of what occurs at these fests ? Be gentle with the flames
Here is last year's agenda: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=361681

It's a really good time - a great chance to meet people with similar interests, learn about your car, explore a new area of the country, kick back and have a great time, and more! Activities change from year-to-year based on availability and what the location has to offer. :cool:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
2,800 miles and about 43 hours behind the wheel!
Or fly/leave TDI @ home, or train/truck transport or stay home...

Mind's made up!
If you want to fly, I have a B4 you can use for the week or however long you're here.

Great time to vacation in Maine....actually the best time because there are no bugs and it won't be snowing (but may on top of Mt Washington).

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
Real bummer. My son is getting married on August 31. Otherwise, I was planning to be there.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Simple - move the wedding to the resort! I'm sure they'd be glad to accommodate your son and his bride.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Simple - move the wedding to the resort! I'm sure they'd be glad to accommodate your son and his bride.
And if they don't want to be at the Grand Summit with a bunch of car nuts, they can go to the more secluded Jordan Grand Resort (same owners) and have it there. :D

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
We'll be there! Looking forward to it!

imurrx

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Cup Street Edition
There's tons of activities for kids.
In North Conway NH there is Story Land. An amusement park that caters to 2-8 year olds. There is also Six Gun City, a western town in New Hampshire. Don't forget about Santa's Village. They are less or about an hour away in Jackson/ North Conway Nh.

I am trying to figure out to convince my wife to leave the beach house on Cape Cod and go meet up with a bunch of people who I never met in person but drive TDI. She would probably kill me. My whole family would probably be there as well.

Unless if it rains, we would make a day trip out of it.