Noise under the Hood

Rajibaba

I’m experiencing couple of problems!? with my car. It’s a 2000 Jetta GLS TDI/Auto – 10 K miles

1) When I shut down the engine I hear a thump within 1-2 seconds. (Coming from under the hood)
2) When I first start it in the morning for about 5 seconds the RPM needle goes up and down (Not too much, but enough to raise my eyebrow) and then it evens out.
3) I don’t know if anyone has faced this but almost 90-95% of the time the windows fogs up including the rear one and I’ve to constantly keep the A/C on. (Very annoying)

Any Suggestions?

[This message has been edited by Rajibaba (edited October 04, 2000).]

Rajibaba

One more thing I forgot, I commute about 100 miles a day, At this rate I'll have to change my timing belt every year. Is this an overkill?

[This message has been edited by Rajibaba (edited October 04, 2000).]

Rajibaba

What do you mean?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by POWERSTROKE:
No offense but is this a joke?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

M

mickey

1) The anti-shudder valve slaps shut when you turn off the key to reduce the characteristic diesel "shudder". After a couple of seconds you'll hear a sound as the valve releases and snaps back open again. Perfectly normal.

2) Yes, it'll take a second or two for the idle to stabilize. It's an internal combustion engine, after all...not an electric motor. It doesn't like to run when it's cold.

3) Not in Utah. We have very low humidity. If you need to run the A/C to keep the windows clear, run it! These cars have very high efficiency compressors, and you won't use enough extra fuel to worry about. Leave the A/C on until the engine warms up if you have to, and avoid using the "recirculate" function if you have foggy windows.

-mickey

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Regarding the "anti-shudder valve" that Mickey referred to, it wouldn't hurt to spray a little WD-40 on it (inside and outside) once in a while for preventive maintenance.