update computer > VCDS flagged as having Trojan. How to still use?

jesiah

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Ran the most recent Windows 10 update today and on reboot it showed that VCDS 18.1 was quarantined, and named Trojan:Win32/Fuery.B!cl

Like many of ya, I bought my Vagcom cable off Craigslist for $20, because i can't afford a new, professional one... installed the software the guy included, but that was 6 months ago with no issus/viruses detected since. He just said to never run the update on the software, keep it 18.1.

So now I have a car that needs a tune up and no software to help do that.

Un-quarantine it, then re-quarantine? Seems sketchy and like inviting a hack.
Try and find software from a different release and risk it not being compatible with my cable?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Part of the problem of buying this kind of hacked stuff. I would throw it away and use the VCDS locator list to find someone near me with a genuine cable to use. Or buy a real one. Not many of us either. People are constantly warned about this approach. If I were you I would be worried about anything you had done in the last six months since you got the "tool" as it potentially compromised anything you connected to or did on your computer. I would be changing passwords and bank accounts. They may have your information and just haven't used it yet.

Last edited:

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
China now has access to that computer.

We have kits starting at $199, look for the HEX-V2.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Maybe find an authentic KII-USB or buy that HEX-V2.
For your PC I might suggest you use Windows Defender (or whatever they call it now) Off-line, if you can get Windows 10 to do that.

Last edited:

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
I have this china cable http://a.co/hJvhxXW , but I use VCDS Lite ($99) with it, at least I know that software isn't gonna eat my computer. If your cable is the same it should work. It's ok, but the connection speed sucks. I actually just scored a used key-usb for $120, which is fine for me as I only own ALHs.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Avast is a great anti-virus and it is also free. You may want to check out Spy-Bot and CCleaner to get the the trash off of your hard drive. Spy-Bot and CCleaner are also free forever just like Avast is. Good luck!

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 210k 2013 Passat TDI - 27k
If you can’t find anyone near you with a cable like I couldn’t, you can rent one from AARodriguez for cheap..$9 shipping and $5 a day/$25 a week. Nice about that is it’s a genuine a Rosstech cable with hex+ canbus

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Compared to the cost of one visit to a dealer for anything, the VCDS cable is a bargain.

I don't regret for a second paying $349 for the Hex-Can cable I got back in 2004 (or was it 2005?). That was a lot of money back then, especially with the communist Canadian dollar at the time. I think it was something like $1.65 Canadian for one actual dollar.

Still, it was well worth it. You couldn't give me my money back for it.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I'm with Mike^^^ 10 years ago, I paid a lot of money for the CAN bus capable cable, IIRC it was $350.00 and like Mike, I see no reason to ever part with it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If someone buys a $20 hacked/pirated version you most likely aren't going to talk them into a legit one at substantially more money. Besides there has already been mentioned a lower cost legit one available. The OP also hasn't returned since the day after this post. Most here also won't help someone in this situation, to defraud the legitimate business that rightfully owns the software. More than likely bought another $20 cable and software.