Steps towards a reliable 300-325 wtq CR?

ocshaman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I'm considering a wagon for hauling fishing and hunting stuff, and a CR has been in the back of my mind. I’m currently in a 280 hp-ish supercharged gasser on E85, and looking to increase MPG considerably without losing too much torque. The ALH and PD mod list would need to be much longer than a CR from reading. Current list I’m considering is

Water/methanol – Aquamist HFS-4v3 in direct port will be installed regardless. Hoping to use for cruising, and “power” boost.

Transmission work – DSG tune for $500, and several hundred more for services every 30K miles, or a clutch – of some kind, and installation.

Tuning – Malone Tuning should be $5-650. Add Dynamic Idle, and possibly other things that need not be discussed here.

CP3?

Will an aftermarket turbo be necessary? It seems iffy either way.

Anything else I'm missing on the list, performance wise or maintenance wise?

Last edited:

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
Nitrous! Just kidding though I'm working on a deal to get a setup for my CR.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
what year and model of car are you considering?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Nitrous! Just kidding though I'm working on a deal to get a setup for my CR.
We've got a buddy who's a distributor for nitrous express if you need anything ;) will email some other info

300wtq is pretty straight forward, if you plan on driving it hard and towing a CR170 would be a worthwhile upgrade and help with EGTs. No need for fueling mods at these power levels, can comfortably run a 2260 @ 35lbs with stock fueling, and that's about maxing out the cylinder head. Cams + port work + larger nozzles and CP3 past that point, and billet pistons will be coming down the lines too.

ocshaman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
what year and model of car are you considering?
Still looking. 09-up available in my price range Probably a sportswagen if I can locate one.

We've got a buddy who's a distributor for nitrous express if you need anything ;) will email some other info

300wtq is pretty straight forward, if you plan on driving it hard and towing a CR170 would be a worthwhile upgrade and help with EGTs. No need for fueling mods at these power levels, can comfortably run a 2260 @ 35lbs with stock fueling, and that's about maxing out the cylinder head. Cams + port work + larger nozzles and CP3 past that point, and billet pistons will be coming down the lines too.
DD with bi weekly 2-3 pulls probably. Would you recommend the CP3 for reliability? Is tune and clutch about what I should be considering?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
CR170 with a clutch will do the trick and make for a great daily since it's an OEM turbo. I'd set aside funds for a cp3 and keep an eye on the fuel filter, the stock ones don't fail as often as the internet would make it seem though.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
hp at the wheels is subject to drivetrain losses and is a meaningful number
tq at the wheels is subject to gear reduction and doesn't mean much of anything so far as driveability

with the ratios in your trans, assuming something around 3:1 first and final drive, any engine can make north of 2000 ft/lb at the wheels

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
hp at the wheels is subject to drivetrain losses and is a meaningful number
tq at the wheels is subject to gear reduction and doesn't mean much of anything so far as driveability
with the ratios in your trans, assuming something around 3:1 first and final drive, any engine can make north of 2000 ft/lb at the wheels
Exactly. It is possible to make torque at 0 RPM! As electric motors do.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Is there a "little bit more for a little bit more" turbo available?

Yeah man! Go GTB2260. Malone has a kit coming out soon. Or there are other vendors out there.

Or the GTD1756vrk is a great option good to 240hp.