Sleeping in car?

puredata

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2003 Wagon
My daughter and I have registered to attend. Due to circumstances, we booked pretty much the minimum package, attendance and mt. Washington. This will be our first 'tdi' event. Years ago, we used to travel around to Pt Cruiser events, and we loved the group experience! So... to end summer, My daughter and I decided this would be fun!
On the previous events we attended, we would park stay in rest stop or truck stop parking lots. Long story short, we booked for this event, and planned on doing the same thing. .. But from the map, I'm not seeing a truck stop nearby.
So... Does anybody know if a free place to park, nearby the event? Only requirement (for daughters sake) is access to a restroom. I've never had a problem sleeping in a car before, I just can't find places to do it nearby the event lol.
Thanks in advance, can't wait until this weekend!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't have a problem with you camping out in the parking lot. We'll dub you the unofficial security guard for the weekend. ;)

The resort might have an issue, but I'll let you work that out with them directly.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yeah... it's your call. I'm not gonna open that can of worms. ;)

There are several nearby campground that have good rates if you're interested.

puredata

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2003 Wagon
I will keep searching. Like I said, previous trips in truck stops... Unfortunately, I didn't realize there were none when I booked lol. I'll figure something out, I'm sure.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
There is a Wal-Mart in Rumford (about 35 minutes east) and another in Gorham, NH (about 45 minutes west, which is closer to Mt. Washington).

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
You're not the only one who does this. There are some state parks close, maybe that's an option?

puredata

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2003 Wagon
I ended up calling in to the Oxford County Sherif's office. Apparently there is a 24 hour Irving station in Bethel, as well as a rest station in Route 2 by the Brew Pub. She also suggested that I call the Sunday River Security office, as there would likely be bus parking and/or some area there that could be used.

Failing that, I have looked up both of the Wal-Mart stores listed above, and both do offer overnight parking as well...

So... I will be on my way, and play it by year when I arrive... see you all on the weekend, and thanks for your help! :)

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
I ended up calling in to the Oxford County Sherif's office. Apparently there is a 24 hour Irving station in Bethel, as well as a rest station in Route 2 by the Brew Pub. She also suggested that I call the Sunday River Security office, as there would likely be bus parking and/or some area there that could be used.

Failing that, I have looked up both of the Wal-Mart stores listed above, and both do offer overnight parking as well...

So... I will be on my way, and play it by year when I arrive... see you all on the weekend, and thanks for your help! :)
The Wal-Marts are a ways out...or, I guess, we are a ways out from everything here (I love it!). So I hope you can find something closer. People around here are pretty chill and understanding of outdoors/travel/off-the-beaten-path stuff, so I would imagine you'll be able to work something out. Best of luck!

(I don't know if it is possible, but I know there were some people looking for roommates a while ago-maybe you can work something out that way? Just a thought. Though I know car camping, as it were, can be pretty cozy.)

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
That appears to be the closest diesel station as well.
Bethel is the closest town to where we are. It is 15? minutes down the road. It is also the closest grocery/liquor store (on Main St.), and it has lots of little shops and restaurants. I highly recommend checking it out. Having to go there to get fuel is just an incentive/excuse. :cool:

I fell in love with Bethel about ten years ago and came very close to moving up here, so I am thrilled to be back here for this. Pretty much everyone I have known who has come here has felt the same way about it, so I hope everyone will enjoy this area.

Ann

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
How about giving a call to the town office and see if they will let you camp at the airport? There's a pilot shack with a bathroom there.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
There are several offers for room sharing. Maybe strike a deal for a 2 hour sub-lease to permit showering and cleaning up?
I've been made aware that I'm no petunia after two days without showering, although I personally didn't recognize the situation.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Andrew,

Where did you and your daughter end up sleeping?

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
Hopefully by next fest I'll be towing a little travel trailer and I'll be doing the parking lot sleeping thing.

You beat me by one year! this fest was a really good parking lot for camping out