Road/Hybrid Biking

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
But titanium rides like steel without the weight and is more durable. :D
The Ti rides like a noodle when you can put 2000 watts to the crank.

I'll take a Tig welded Columbus Max frame any day of the week, thank you very much...

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You can have it, I'll take my one of a kind custom assembled and welded Merlin. One so unique Tom Kellogg (whose name is on the chainstay) and a few other original Merlin people knew exactly whose frame it was (after some deliberation) when I dropped it off to him in PA but never knew what became of it.

To me, it's priceless because of its history, not that it's the 29th Ti road frame Merlin built (out of thousands) or that it rides like a Cadillac over rough Maine roads.

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
Tom is a great guy (and a strong rider).

Hey... what better combo that a TDI & custom road bicycle?

Ride & drive safe !!

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
2,000 watts! I have never seen a thousand in two or three years of power meters except the aberration readings. Might be why I am often a mid pack racer. Then again I doubt some of my friends on the podiums are doing much over a 1,000 watts. They just train harder and eat wisely. Titanium would be fine for me. Heck even Reynolds or Columbus tubing would be nice. Ah the joys of being an overweight ectomorph.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The Ti rides like a noodle when you can put 2000 watts to the crank.
'Tis true; however, 2000 watts is pretty much inhuman output to the cranks of a bike. Maybe you'll get a world-class 200m sprint cyclist able to put that out for 5-8 seconds, but that's about it.
(Seriously - being that one horsepower equals about 750 watts, there aren't too many guys out there with the power of ~2.3 horses.)
And at that point, for sure, you're not gonna go with something that SNAPS (Ti, Carbon) when it breaks; you're going to want something that bends (like steel).
When I had my SRM, 300 watts was sustainable with some serious effort, anything approaching 400 was do-able - but not for very long.
Being that every ride of mine involves close to 1000ft. of climbing, I'll stick with my lightweight, solid (enough) carbon fibre Giant. :D