Considering trade: Passat Wagon 4Motion for my '05 Passat GLS TDI Wagon

wsalopek

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat Grey
Subject pretty much says it all.

I'm looking for a 4Motion GLX wagon with plenty of bumper-to-bumper warranty left...1.8T or V6, manual or automatic.

My '05 GLS TDI wagon has 17-inch wheels, the CD changer, and 11k+ miles...it's dark blue with beige leather interior...very pretty/handsome...and is in almost showroom condition with maintenance up to date...just had a fresh oil change at the dealer...it also has the Euro headlight switch, with the DRL relay removed...I can replace the relay easily. Also included are VW all-weather mats, including one for the cargo area (that one is not VW).

I assume it's worth mid $20's, but haven't done much research lately (I'd be happy to hear opinions).

Of course relative differences in market value and would mean the deal would have to include cash.

I'm also considering a Subaru wagon.

The car is in Albuquerque, NM.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just curious why?

All US-spec 4motion Passats are slushboxes, earlier ones were V6 only, later ones you could get the 1.8t.

The 1.8t/automatic feels absolutely lethargic compared to the TDI or V6, especially with AWD.

You can get a manual version in an Audi A4 Quattro, but you'll lose a couple inches wheelbase and rear leg room. To get the same rear seat legroom as the Passat you'll need to step up to the A6.

The Sube does not have near the body weight and front room of the Passat, but are not a bad car otherwise. Their automatics can be troublesome and are VERY expensive to replace.

wsalopek

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat Grey
compu_85 said:
Gas to be a GLX? Has to be a Wagon?

-Jason
I'd like the GLX for the climate control...once you have that, it's hard to live without it...power seats as well...as far as I know, any GLS would not have those options.

And I'd really like a wagon instead of a sedan.

wsalopek

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat Grey
oilhammer said:
Just curious why?
We're having a bit of a snowy winter here in New Mexico...AWD sure comes in handy.

My '05 TDI is my 2nd TDI and my third diesel (other was a nice 1985 Mercedes 300 Turbo Wagon)...so I'm a fairly big diesel fan...I even converted my '97 Passat TDI to burn veggie oil.

But, I'd sure like AWD.

I really like European cars...understated good looks...character and heritage that other makes just can't match...but oh the maintenance!

So...

Perhaps a 2005 Subaru Legacy turbo limited wagon?

I hadn't heard that about the Subaru transmissions...can you elucidate?

(And thanks for the Passat model lineup details...does even the '05+ Legacies have less room up front than an 05 and earlier Passat?)

oilhammer

TDI
Subies, as well as most other Asian cars, just do not have the room for "full framed" folks like me. I just cannot sit bent-legged in a car with my hair touching the headliner, and that is where the Legacy puts me. The car just feels like it is two sizes too small. And despite what many people think, the overall size of the car has little to do with its actual behind-the-wheel comfort.

Their autoboxes are Jatco (Nissan) units, and seem to have a fair amount of problems. Same basic unit as a Pathfinder/Frontier, etc. uses, just has a front diff in the bellhousing.

I just know from being in the field, I've replaced quite a few Subie autoboxes over the years, and since they are a pretty low volume car in this area I'd say the failure ratio is pretty high. Also lots of posts on IATN about them.

I've been all over the mountains in snow and never had AWD, is it really a problem or you just want them? We just last weekend drove our B5 in bad weather for the first time, and I was pretty impressed at how easily it handled the bad icy snowy roads.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
CarsDirect.com for comparrisons

wsalopek said:
(And thanks for the Passat model lineup details...does even the '05+ Legacies have less room up front than an 05 and earlier Passat?)
try this out

http://www.carsdirect.com/research/compare

i just found that yesterday when i was trying to compare passenger head/shoulder room between a 2002 Jetta, an '03 Jetta wagon and an '04 Passatt wagon. the side by side comparrisons are incredibly useful IMO.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
wsalopek said:
Subject pretty much says it all.

I'm looking for a 4Motion GLX wagon with plenty of bumper-to-bumper warranty left...1.8T or V6, manual or automatic.

My '05 GLS TDI wagon has 17-inch wheels, the CD changer, and 11k+ miles...it's dark blue with beige leather interior...very pretty/handsome...and is in almost showroom condition with maintenance up to date...just had a fresh oil change at the dealer...it also has the Euro headlight switch, with the DRL relay removed...I can replace the relay easily. Also included are VW all-weather mats, including one for the cargo area (that one is not VW).

I assume it's worth mid $20's, but haven't done much research lately (I'd be happy to hear opinions).

Of course relative differences in market value and would mean the deal would have to include cash.

I'm also considering a Subaru wagon.

The car is in Albuquerque, NM.
I sent you a PM to offer to obtain a B5 4-motion for you. Did you get it? Later!

wsalopek

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat Grey
Matthew_S said:
A set of really good tires can make you forget all about AWD.
Ah...this is the big question.

I've looked at "Spike-Spyders", snow tires (including a studded option) from Tire Rack, and various kinds of chains and such.

There are pros and cons to all of them.

Based on how many times I've got stuck, even in my own flat driveway, with my Passat's OEM tires, which are supposed to be "MUD AND SNOW", it's kinda hard to imagine snow tires making all the difference...but even if they did, I imagine they might otherwise be loud, handle differently, and, if I wanted an easy changeout setup, I'd need another set of wheels, or, I'd have two different-looking wheels/tires on the front as opposed to the back.

I guess what it all boils down to is AWD solves all these problems for the price of a couple MPG (of course in my case, going from TDI to V6 I'll take a much bigger hit in MPG's).

I'm actually amazed how hard it is to push the Passat once it's got stuck...I've seen other folks in crappy front-wheel-drive GM sedans go RIGHT BY ME, or, if they were stuck, a gentle push and the car got UN stuck very quickly.

Pushing the Passat is like pushing a slug or something...it just does not want to move.

I've tried turning the ESP off, back on, back off, (off it best), but still, the tires, with almost 100% tread, just spin.

The Passat is, I think, the worst FWD car I've ever had in the snow...it's weird, what would make the Passat so much worse? It just doesn't make sense.

wsalopek

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat Grey
oilhammer said:
I've been all over the mountains in snow and never had AWD, is it really a problem or you just want them?
See my message above...I don't know what it is or how to explain it, but my Passat is the worst FWD car I've ever had in the snow.

Maybe it's some weird combination of the particular type of snow we had here and where I just happened to get stuck, but I seriously doubt it.

My wife's Infiniti I30 was able to move quite easily under the same conditions where the Passat not only got stuck but was really hard to push to get unstuck...it's like the tires were bald or something...but they are not, they are the OEM Michelin MUD-AND-SNOW-rated tires with PLENTY of tread (almost new).

I don't know what else to do but get an AWD Passat Wagon or, the Subaru Wagon...I'd like to stay European, but I want plenty of warranty, as previous European cars I've had have cost me a BUNDLE to maintain.

Last edited:

wsalopek

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat Grey
MrErlo said:
Thanks...that was VERY useful.

The Passat Wagon beats up on the Subaru Wagon in almost every way except power (Subaru 2.5 turbo vs. VW V6) and, almost certainly, maintenance costs (and maybe slightly in depreciation)...but if a person igores those items, the Passat is a nicer car, more features, better warranty, and more room in most dimensions.

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
Based on how many times I've got stuck, even in my own flat driveway, with my Passat's OEM tires, which are supposed to be "MUD AND SNOW", it's kinda hard to imagine snow tires making all the difference...but even if they did, I imagine they might otherwise be loud, handle differently, and, if I wanted an easy changeout setup, I'd need another set of wheels, or, I'd have two different-looking wheels/tires on the front as opposed to the back.
According to Tire Rack your car has Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires. The user survey on those tires don't look good for snow or ice. I bet a good set of all season tires that are known to be good in snow would make a huge difference.

oilhammer

TDI
I agree. I will only put Michelins on my cars, but I'll be the first to admit they are not a good snow/ice tire at all. You'd have to switch to an actual snow tire instead of the all season Energy or Pilot tires.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
wsalopek said:
What service(s) do you guys use?
i run a photography business, so i host my own images. but it should be fairly easy to post in the TDIClub photo gallery,...although i've never tried i know most people have no problem with it.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Only all-season that works is Nokian WR and it works very well. WR wears very well, decent dry grip, very little noise increase, unbeatable rain tire and very close to a dedicated winter tire in slush, wet snow, powder and packed snow. It gives a little up to dedicated ice tires in glare ice situations, but it is still lightyears ahead of any other "all-season". And yes, snow tires do make that much difference.

tdi4sale

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Swap TDI Wagon for Audi Quattro

Hello: I saw your thread on the Passat Wagon. I don't have a customer yet for your Passat. However, I do have access to the these Audi Quattro Wagons. Also, I am located in Denver which should help facilitate an exchange. I can be reached at 303-246-0878. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

TDI4SALE

AUDI A4 1.8 T 4DR WAGON4 1.8L I4 21919 Miles BLACK WAUVC68E65A052439 Options: Automatic Transmission AUTO Leather MN CX CC PL PST PW AB AD AC PS STB HSDP Announcement: WTY 11.08~PPW

2. 2005 AUDIA4 1.8 T 4DR WAGON4 1.8L I4 29175 Miles GRAY WAUVC68E05A046720 Options: 6 Speed Transmission MANUAL Leather AWD MN CX CC PL PST PW AB AD AC PS STB HSDP Announcement: WTY 12.08

tdi4sale

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Swap TDI Wagon for Audi Quattro

Here are the abbreviations that you may or maynot recognize from my prior post. Thanks.

TDI4SALE
303-246-0878

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AB[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anti-Lock Brakes[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AC[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Air Conditioning[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AD[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Air Bag - Dual[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AWD[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Drive Train - All Wheel[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CC[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cruise Control[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CX[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CD Changer[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HSDP[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Heated Seats - Driver and Passenger[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leather[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leather Interior[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MN[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Moon Roof[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PL[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Power Locks[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PS[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Power Seats[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PST[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Power Steering[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PW[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Power Windows[/FONT]