05' jetta wagen BEW 5 speed swap question

embryriddledude

TDI
2011 Jetta wagon tdi
So I have looked some though the forums and can't really fund the answer I'm looking for. I have a 2005 jetta wagen 1.9 tdi with the automatic tripontic transmission and I feel it's about to go. Its taking longer to shift out of first and second gear. The car has 195000 mile on it. The engine code is the BEW. Now my question is, I think I would like to do the 5 speed swap but I don't know if the O2J transmission will work with my engine. Or am I wasting time and effort in to this? I don't want to do anything really crazy for power, most I would do is 150hp. I just want a reliable daily driver. And no new car payment.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
The O9A's are a lot better then the O1M's they replaced. Have you had the tranny serviced?

Also the O2J will bolt up just fine to your engine.

embryriddledude

TDI
2011 Jetta wagon tdi
I had the tranny serviced at 130000 miles. So are you saying that my auto is probably worth fixing? I don't mind that at all, I didn't know that my auto was in improvement. So even if I had to replace my tranny for say $3000 it's probably cheaper in the long run.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Well no, if you've gotta drop 3k, a manual swap is the ticket over that. I'm just saying, make sure your auto tranny is toast before going crazy.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
So I have looked some though the forums and can't really fund the answer I'm looking for. I have a 2005 jetta wagen 1.9 tdi with the automatic tripontic transmission and I feel it's about to go. Its taking longer to shift out of first and second gear. The car has 195000 mile on it. The engine code is the BEW. Now my question is, I think I would like to do the 5 speed swap but I don't know if the O2J transmission will work with my engine. Or am I wasting time and effort in to this? I don't want to do anything really crazy for power, most I would do is 150hp. I just want a reliable daily driver. And no new car payment.
Your transmission complaint is commonly addressed by replacing solenoids inside the transmission, which is not that big of a deal.

A lot of people just change all 9 solenoids, while they are in there.

http://cobratransmission.com/index....fo&cPath=1_945_947_978_987&products_id=803021

Trans can handle 150 hp, no prob.