Common weight save items on tdi engines

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
I've gone from 60% front weight distribution to about 57%. 55% possible fairly easily with a few more tweaks with the car looking standard. Not that bad really, you can feel that sort of difference.
If i do achieve my 200 crank hp goal then 7% weight save is then an effective 14hp increase.
I understand people who say whats the point, but even if I had a 300bhp Audi S4 I'd be doing similar tweaks. This is cheap and fun! Just re-routing the battery in the boot was a good learning experience.
Its nice to surprise a few people with a 15 year old family diesel wagon.

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I've gone from 60% front weight distribution to about 57%. 55% possible fairly easily with a few more tweaks with the car looking standard. Not that bad really, you can feel that sort of difference.
I agree 100%. :D
I have done this with every VW I have owned since my first mk3 golf 2.0 way back in 2000!!!

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
I assuem perspex windows wouldn;t go up/down on the electrics? and curve to the right shape etc? Or are they flexi enough to bend to shape? And don't flap about in wind?
I guess they scratch easy and are expensive and for track cars only?

Last edited:

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
I assuem perspex windows wouldn;t go up/down on the electrics? and curve to the right shape etc? Or are they flexi enough to bend to shape? And don't flap about in wind?
I guess they scratch easy and are expensive and for track cars only?
It's flexi enough to run on electrics if you really want I believe. But will scratch easily....

But you save more weight if you ditch the window mechanisms as well....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Removing the bumper brace is a big improvement. Shifter counterweight. Get a smaller alternator. Delete the power steering. Make sure you have headlights with plastic lenses. You could probably get away with a smaller radiator and less coolant. Delete one of the cooling fans. And get the absolutely lightest wheels you can find. I have 16" Motegis that weigh 12 lbs. each.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Can't find one. Tried the latest manual rack I could find (think it was off a '91) and it wouldn't bolt to the subframe.

Also, the front bar is hollow. Doesn't weigh much.

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Can't find one. Tried the latest manual rack I could find (think it was off a '91) and it wouldn't bolt to the subframe.

Also, the front bar is hollow. Doesn't weigh much.
The handling benefit of removing the front sway bar outweighs the weight saving factor..:p

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you have the right springs the front bar is totally unnecessary, and removing it helps reduce wheelspin when exiting a corner. My point was it doesn't weigh that much, so removing it won't reap a significant weight saving benefit.

GTiTDi

TDI
If you have the right springs the front bar is totally unnecessary, and removing it helps reduce wheelspin when exiting a corner. My point was it doesn't weigh that much, so removing it won't reap a significant weight saving benefit.
I know Peter, was just messing around!

Take off the front sway bar, just don't expect a huge weight savings (with a Mk4)!!

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Some tdi's like agr and ahu had alloy cam covers but fitment is different to my afn.
There must be a lightweight bolt on cam cover I can use from another vw?
Mine weighs a kilo!

j29

TDI
04 Jetta wagon, 98 Multivan TDI
are you guys nuts this is a daily driver just enjoy it.
the cable to move the battery to the trunk would reduce any weight savings.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
since when does moving the battery to the rear make the car lighter? LOL...

Moving it to the rear is just for balancing the car a little better, not making it lighter..

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Yes that is funny....

I started this thread for people who are interested in weight save items. Often its cheap/free and yes won't transform the car into a porsche but it all adds up with 10kg here and there.

I'm not after 'this is pointless' comments - as to me its not :)
I still think removing the front ARB is a slightly odd idea.
And yes on a track car you can run stiff enough springs to be able to remove the ARB, but this would be too bumpy on normal roads?

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Yes that is funny....

I started this thread for people who are interested in weight save items. Often its cheap/free and yes won't transform the car into a porsche but it all adds up with 10kg here and there.

I'm not after 'this is pointless' comments - as to me its not :)
I still think removing the front ARB is a slightly odd idea.
And yes on a track car you can run stiff enough springs to be able to remove the ARB, but this would be too bumpy on normal roads?
You don't have to do anything to the spring rate to run with out a front ARB...many put an ADDITIONAL rear ARB to stiffen the rear further...It dramatically reduces under steer and makes the FWD car prone to oversteer easier, not for the faint of heart (the choir lol)

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Some tdi's like agr and ahu had alloy cam covers but fitment is different to my afn.
There must be a lightweight bolt on cam cover I can use from another vw?
Mine weighs a kilo!
I bet the alloy ones weigh the same or more than the steel ones - the alloy is pretty thick.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
There is at least 20 lbs of superfluous iron in the block casting, possibly more.
Get out your die grinder and go at it!
Sweep up the grindings and weigh 'em to see how you're doing!
Just stay away from internal passages and mounting bosses.:eek:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you really want to go all out, take out the interior (most of it will go back in), get out your drill with a 1" hole saw on it and cut a hole (or holes) in anything that's not structurally important.. Go around everywhere in/on/around the car where bolts protrude through whatever nuts they go through and cut off the excess.. Leave out the insulation under the carpet when you put the interior back in (that's 35-50lbs right there).. carpet trim in the trunk, spare tire cover, use an Avus wheel instead of the steelie for a spare.. put a bald tire on the spare too (less tread = less weight)..

I'm sure I can think of more ideas while keeping the car fully functional..

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Thanks guys,

Insulation out will make the car too loud?
Fibre glass bits will be expensive
Just changed to KW coilovers which are already a fair bit lighter than the stock items, but those alloy HR bodies do look nice.

Yes if I had unlimited time and budget I could start machining away the block! Pretty extreme. Just after the easy stuff really.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine doesn't have any insulation and it's not too bad.. There's some more road noise but no more than your average MK3.. My exhaust is far louder then the road noise though.. The main thing I notice is that I need to run the heat a little more in the cooler temperatures since the cabin cools off faster without the insulation..

I would never put coilovers in my car personally.. I drive it too much over rough roads and I like my suspension travel..

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Aluminum exhaust? I know it wont be focused in the front, but it will save a decent amount of weight. My buddy made a few for some Evos he built.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Don't think aluminium is a good idea.....
Exhaust gases pretty aggressive so will not only corrode it but also give off harmful fumes.....
But Ti is a better idea.... but expensive

Last edited: