1999 Eurovan MV 1Z/AHU EWB 5 speed Montana

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought it from TDI conversions (Slavic). This is the original cardomain page with lots of pictures:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3910027/1999-volkswagen-eurovan/photo-gallery/
I think I drove it for about 40K miles, but I will have to reattach the battery to verify miles on the cluster, which is different than chassis miles and engine miles. AHU was from a 97 Jetta. I believe it fell victim to a smashed motor mount and a Hans head gasket. The failed motor mount may have led to synchro gear wear due to the pushrod shift linkage, but the O2B was still shifting ok but not great. It could be that with engine restored to proper position, it will shift well. Was planning to repower it but after two years dealing with deaths in the family and still not having a shop to work in, I think it should go to someone who will fix it and use it. Basically would just need to find another AHU, swap injectors and oil pan, and drill the block for the dipstick, although you can use the regular dipstick which has been remarked (Two dipsticks!) Almost no rust whatsoever, but some bubbling showing up at a corner of the windshield (pic in CL add). This was a great machine, super fun to drive, and towed very well, Class III 2" hitch with flat 4way wire (I only towed a raft or drift boat). It was close to being a very reliable T4. Exhaust was redone to allow for easy removal/replacement of the catalytic with test pipe with Vband clamps. Includes the original Eurovan wheels which are have rash but balance out well and have Nokian snow tires. Currently on Audi A8 wheels (with one extra, unused, with unused blizzak) in very good condition with Nokian van tires in decent condition, but it's been sitting, so they may have flat spots. It has snap on curtains for all windows. There is an easy access extra OBD port with longer wire that tucks in behind the tray organizer for easier laptop diagnostics. I tucked the factory location further back into the dash to clean up the Scanguage wire and make more room for the ignition (Scanguage not included). The MFA is haywire, and usually scrolls through the readouts on it's own accord. Sometimes it's normal. I replaced the control stock but the problem returned. Cruise control works as it should. Missing one of the rear facing seats. Climatronic doesn't operate the center vent properly. The flat wire is unplugged and missing the connector. Looks like an easy fix. A/C and heat still work pretty well, ie. defrost, side vents, feet, and rear roof vents. Aux. heater works great. Quality matching grey carpet protection front to back. I replaced the heater core and re-covered the flaps in the air exchange box. Also added a kind of crappy aluminum bottom engine cover (just a splash guard, not a skid plate). I have a new in box Esperbacher diesel heater that I never got around to installing. This could be negotiated in. There is a basic roof rack included. Wasp nest is not included.
I don't know how to assess the value; I have it listed locally for $5000. Feel free to comment on the price.
The people who expressed interest to me previously via TDIclub will be given priority.
Here is the CL post:
https://bozeman.craigslist.org/cto/d/1999-vw-eurovan-mv-tdi/6702945256.html
I will also mention that I'm selling my (t)rusty B4V, in case anyone is interested in both vehicles. A 5% donation of the selling price of both vehicles will be made to TDIclub.
I am looking for a solid A4 or B5 wagon.

Last edited: