how do I clean up the blocl and top of pistons

texcl

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle TDI(5 speed swap 44mpg so far),1980 VW Dasher Wagon, 2010 Yanmar 45hp diesel tractor
I just bought all the parts to put my Dasher back together (vw parts place has a diesel sale going on right now saved 20%), there is alot of carbon on the piston tops and at the tops of the cylinders, how can I clean them up without getting too much crap in the cylinders? will carb cleaner loosen the carbon, the 2 center pistons had really excessive carbon build up likely due to the leaky valve seals and faulty injectors.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Well if you haev an engine stand that will let you turn the engine upside down (harbor freight) then you could get a tool that is made for removing that carbon. I forget the name but there is a tool for the carbon removal on the cylinder. Can't help you with the pistons unless you take them out. Then it would just be bead blasting them in a cabnet.

texcl

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle TDI(5 speed swap 44mpg so far),1980 VW Dasher Wagon, 2010 Yanmar 45hp diesel tractor
The engine is still in the car, I guess it isn't critical, just thought it would be nice since they are exposed.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Put pistons up to top and gently scrape off carbon. Use a vacuum to suck up crud as you scrape. Rotate engine half a turn and do the other pistons. Wipe crud off cylinder walls with a clean oiled rag. I use a wood chisel, but that takes a fine touch as it can gouge aluminum. Some crud can get in groove, but rotating engine with oily cylinder walls will leave it up top when piston goes down. Just keep oiling, rotating and wiping til it is clean when piston goes down.

If you can wiggle pistons at tdc, then there is not too much carbon on the piston sides above the rings.

texcl

Veteran Member
TDI
I cleaned the piston/block yesterday and checked the piston protrusion which was at .88 (correct for 4 notch gasket)on all 4 pistons, I was realy worried I might have had a bent rod after the valve to piston clash. i'm glad I removed the caron it was really thick, thick enough that I imagine there was almost no/no clearance between the head and the pistons there were also a bunch of little dents on top of the pistons, but no damage to anything else, I think it might have been from the carbon or from the piston's previous life as it is a rebuilt motor. I received my parts and they had everything but one item which was back ordered, it was the head gasket of course so guess I wont have her up and going this weekend like planned.