Humming sun roof on 09 Jetta TDI

cloud09

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
This may be my first post on this forum, so I'll start by saying ... THANK YOU ALL for making this place such a valuable wealth of information. I have been reading here almost daily for 6 months.

So, does anyone else notice the loud humming sound when driving > 60+ mph with the sun roof wide open ?? is that something I should expect the dealer service dept to addres and fix ?

Last edited:

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Remember when you were a kid and played at blowing air over the top of an empty soda bottle to make it 'sing'? Same thing here; when velocity and direction of air flow and size of sun roof opening are all correct, it sings. There are two alternative fixes:

1. Close your sun roof down just a little bit, until the singing stops. If this doesn't work then I have mis-diagnosed your problem.

2. Install a deflector, such as the WeatherTech. In my experience, this will prevent singing at any opening position, and also reduces wind noise a mite.

Last edited:

Rodya

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI; 2009 VW Rabbit and 2013 VW Golf Gasser
Sunroof Deflector

I installed sunroof deflector on my 09 and noise is no more... also cuts down on sun glare...

cloud09

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Ahhh! Of course .... a wind deflector. That seems such an obvious solution now that you mentioned it :) It will make it look cooler as well, so that is what I'll do. Thanks!

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Cloud, mine does the exact same thing and as Dawg stated closing it will help dramatically. As a matter of record, I have not been able to drive with mine all the way open at all when driving highway speeds as the noise drives me insane. I am thinking about a sunroof wind deflector for the Spring as I don't use my roof now that it's freezing outside.

eggspoogas

TDI
2010 Jetta
My 2010 jetta has the turn knob that when you put it on the position right before full open it makes the sunroof open almost the whole way to keep the humming away. It is calculated to open exactly in the correct spot to not hum. Doesn't an 09 have that turn dial? Wind deflectors are nice however then you got that big price of plastic on top of your sleek car.

eggspoogas

TDI
2010 Jetta
That's what I thought. So just do that. It doesn't hum and it also doesn't let air in your car so it is still calm. Easy priceless fix. Use what those engineers gave you!