MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

tdiwa

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI SE DSG
At 70, my SE DSG (17" wheels) seems to be right at 2000, maybe a little lower. It seems weird that the SEL with bigger wheels should be running higher RPMs...
However, the tach only has markings every 200 RPMs, so it's tough to quibble over differences less than that. I'm also not sure how much tachs vary from car to car in terms of their accuracy to the "true" value.
Anyhow, i'd say close enough to the calculation, whatever it tells us.
Same with my SE DSG: at or slightly below 2000 at 70mph.

Last edited:

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Older 5 speed TDIs would run around 2100RPMs at 60MPH. People would install a taller 5th for better FE only to be disappointed in the result.
Running less rpm definitely has a positive effect on FE. I installed a 6-speed in my ALH which dropped the rpm by about 400 rpm at 70 mph and I picked up a good 2-3 mpg on the highway driving 70 mph. I'm sure there is a point where you can lug it but going down to 1800 isn't lugging it IMO for the EA288.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
8,848 miles, 20 fills, 194.865 gallons, 45.405 MPG calculated

3 pedals, SE with 17" factory continental tires & factory rims

~ 95%+ of last 7,400 miles driven easy thru mild hills on divided 4 lane. NOT restricted access so lots of traffic adjustment, two lane traffic clusters common with some amount of stop and go, ~ 1 hour commute each way @ ~ 47 miles . . .

4,407 miles, 10 fills, 94.913 gallons, 46.4 MPG calculated . . . 46MPH average speed since new per the computer . . . <snip> . . .
1,448 miles NJ to MN, 4 fills, 32.053 gallons, 45.1 MPG calculated . . .

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
Still waiting for the 40 mark. She's getting there, but the 20 miles of 80 mph commute will probably keep me from there for a while. Just wish the tank was bigger. :mad:

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
So 25 cars (30% ) of total (with reported mileage), have better than 43MPGs (Fuelly)

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Managed to go through the current Fuelly data (well current as of yesterday night). I pulled only cars that are specifically labelled as DSG or Manual in some way. I included only cars in the US, and found 14 Manuals and only 4 DSGs still. I broke them up a couple different ways:

All US Cars, regardless of indicated Hwy/City %:
Manual: 44.0 MPG (4.3 stddev), 58% hwy
DSG: 40.9 MPG (5.3 stddev), 50% hwy
DSG 7% worse

Removing any with <50% Indicated Hwy/City %:
Manual: 44.9 MPG (4.2 stddev), 64% hwy
DSG: 43.8 MPG (1.7 stddev), 58% hwy
DSG 2.4% worse

So, if you believe people's indicated city/hwy splits (which I'm not sure I do), my hunch that DSG owners are doing more city driving may hold water.

Still a small sample on the DSG side. If only more Fuelly users specified! Of course, depending on which of the two ways you choose, the difference is less than my definition of "slight" from a few posts back (5%), and more than "slight" in the other case. :)
Updating this because I had a few minutes:
I used all cars this time (US and Canada), found 30 MTs and 14 DSGs. Sample size is getting better!

All Cars, regardless of indicated Hwy/City %:
Manual: 42.4 MPG (4.3 stddev), 61% hwy
DSG: 40.1 MPG (2.7 stddev), 58% hwy
DSG 5.6% worse

Manual: 42.7 MPG (4.4 stddev), 65% hwy
DSG: 40.9MPG (1.6 stddev), 64% hwy
DSG 4.2% worse

I won't make any commentary, except to say that I'll probably check back well into the spring, after we've had a lot of cold and some warm again!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Updating this because I had a few minutes:
I used all cars this time (US and Canada), found 30 MTs and 14 DSGs. Sample size is getting better!

All Cars, regardless of indicated Hwy/City %:
Manual: 42.4 MPG (4.3 stddev), 61% hwy
DSG: 40.1 MPG (2.7 stddev), 58% hwy
DSG 5.6% worse

Manual: 42.7 MPG (4.4 stddev), 65% hwy
DSG: 40.9MPG (1.6 stddev), 64% hwy
DSG 4.2% worse

I won't make any commentary, except to say that I'll probably check back well into the spring, after we've had a lot of cold and some warm again!
Good info, thanks for that. It's odd to me that there are twice as many MT cars on Fuelly as there are DSG equipped cars. Anyone have any idea on the percentage of MT vs. DSG Golfs that VW produces?

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Good info, thanks for that. It's odd to me that there are twice as many MT cars on Fuelly as there are DSG equipped cars. Anyone have any idea on the percentage of MT vs. DSG Golfs that VW produces?
On Cars.com, within 500 miles of my house, there are 569 DSGs available, and 68 Manuals. I'm not sure whether this is representative or not...

Another thing to note is that there are about 68 TDIs on Fuelly, and I only have 44 on my list, which means that about 35% of the Fuelly entries do not explicitly state whether they are MT or DSG. If a larger than 1/2 fraction of those are DSGs, we'd have pretty close to equal numbers on Fuelly.

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
My theory is that people who are interested in fuel economy are more likely to post on Fuelly. And those people more interested in fuel economy are also more likely to buy MT, since the mileage is better.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
On Cars.com, within 500 miles of my house, there are 569 DSGs available, and 68 Manuals. I'm not sure whether this is representative or not...

Another thing to note is that there are about 68 TDIs on Fuelly, and I only have 44 on my list, which means that about 35% of the Fuelly entries do not explicitly state whether they are MT or DSG. If a larger than 1/2 fraction of those are DSGs, we'd have pretty close to equal numbers on Fuelly.
It's interesting that people take the time to start a Fuelly acct, yet cant plug in the trans type...:confused:

My theory is that people who are interested in fuel economy are more likely to post on Fuelly. And those people more interested in fuel economy are also more likely to buy MT, since the mileage is better.
I agree.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
The Fuelly data is so so bad. About 1/3 of the 15'golfs listed as gas are model "TDI" others are listed as manual are SEL. Features we know are mutually exclusive. Hopefully a future version will have you enter in a vin and the site will know what model it represents to prevent these types of obvious input errors.

There are 128 15's as of today. On target for ~350 for the year.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
The Fuelly data is so so bad. About 1/3 of the 15'golfs listed as gas are model "TDI" others are listed as manual are SEL. Features we know are mutually exclusive. Hopefully a future version will have you enter in a vin and the site will know what model it represents to prevent these types of obvious input errors.

Agreed, in combing the data I always have to decide what to do if the car says Golf TDI but also "gas L4" or whatever. Usually it's pretty easy to figure out, or they don't say Manual or DSG anyway so it doesn't matter for my purposes. There should definitely be required fields that you have to fill out in registering your car, although it's hard to enforce that, as the Fuelly staff would have to research and tailor the possible trims and engines for each vehicle.

One other point in response...TDI SEL Manuals are possible, no?

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT

I'm confused. I agree that gas and TDI don't go together but I have a 2015 TDI SEL 6 speed manual.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I'm confused. I agree that gas and TDI don't go together but I have a 2015 TDI SEL 6 speed manual.
I must misunderstand your previous post; I thought you were implying that SEL and Manual are mutually exclusive features. Clearly you wouldn't have though.

But yes, we agree on problem like
this. Pretty clearly a TDI, but labeled with 1.4 gas L4 nonsense.

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
I've checked on cars.com at various times and got figures ranging from 10-15% MT for the 2015 Golf TDI. IIRC, VW has said they expect to sell 15% or 20% MTs on TDI Golfs in North America. That's close enough to what cars.com shows to make me think that it's not very distorted, if at all.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, misinformed. I mistakenly thought the Golf SEL was the same as the Passat. EG no manual.

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
I love the DSG and for this car I feel it is the only way to go. If it was a regular automatic I would be more on the fence. Just my opinion no more. From the paddle shifters to the tiptronic thing, the DSG provides the additional control we desire. For my wife and I having the auto is worlds better in all this traffic that we always sit in (live in between Baltimore and DC). I have my 2011 STi for my manual pleasure.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I have my 2011 STi for my manual pleasure.
Phrasing? :D

I love the DSG and for this car I feel it is the only way to go. If it was a regular automatic I would be more on the fence. Just my opinion no more. From the paddle shifters to the tiptronic thing, the DSG provides the additional control we desire. For my wife and I having the auto is worlds better in all this traffic that we always sit in (live in between Baltimore and DC)...
I think you'll get some reaction from saying it's the only way to go! That being said, I like the DSG very much too, for all the reasons you cite, including my desire to drink coffee while sitting in morning traffic. I do miss the manual sometimes, especially on a traffic-less cruise.

Also, if you've followed this thread you'll see that I've been on a crusade to put numbers to the Manual vs. DSG fuel economy debate, as best I can. I'd say the moral of the story is that you can get pretty damn close to the same FE as you'd get with the manual. I think this is especially true if you drive in a lot of traffic, but that claim is more speculation than proven fact.

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
Intentional phrasing haha.

I do plan to make a Fuelly account for the wife as mine for my Subaru is a simple 50% of the VW :) I have averaged 21.6 over the last 8000 on the subaru. Not bad for 370whp and horribly short final gear though :)

So far she (my wife and car) has been averaging around 41.6 MPG. She drives 25 miles each way to work on hectic I-95. Sometimes she works during non rush hour. Over all we love this vehicle but thought the MPG would be a smidge higher than her 06 Jetta TDI, also a DSG.

Only other complaints are fuel tank size which bums me out as well as the wind buffeting when windows are open.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Intentional phrasing haha.

I do plan to make a Fuelly account for the wife as mine for my Subaru is a simple 50% of the VW :) I have averaged 21.6 over the last 8000 on the subaru. Not bad for 370whp and horribly short final gear though :)

So far she (my wife and car) has been averaging around 41.6 MPG. She drives 25 miles each way to work on hectic I-95. Sometimes she works during non rush hour. Over all we love this vehicle but thought the MPG would be a smidge higher than her 06 Jetta TDI, also a DSG.

Only other complaints are fuel tank size which bums me out as well as the wind buffeting when windows are open.
Is your 41.6 computer indicated or calculated from fill-ups?

When you do make the Fuelly account, please indicate explicitly that it's a DSG. When i've gone through to pull numbers in the past, many of the cars don't state the transmission one way or another, which is frustrating.

I've also been logging my average speed on the tanks, which isn't necessary, but helps me gauge my city/highway percentage a little more objectively.

Asam9

TDI
Mk7 golf
I was able to get 52 on the highway before. But since it's gotten close "20 degrees" it's only been about 46 on the highway. Hope it'll go back in the spring. Maybe even higher

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I was able to get 52 on the highway before. But since it's gotten close "20 degrees" it's only been about 46 on the highway. Hope it'll go back in the spring. Maybe even higher
This morning was the coldest so far here in the Boston burbs. My 15 mile AM commute, which averaged about 47 mpg (indicated) during the fall, only got 38.8 this morning. I believe this was the first time below 40 for the commute. I don't think the car is really inherently 9 mpg worse in the cold, because full warm-up took about 3/4 of the commute.

On the other hand, a couple weeks back we had a 50+ degree day, and a highway cruise up to southern NH showed 53 mpg, which was the highest I have seen for that particular trip, which I make often.

So I'm thinking my car is mostly broken in at this point, and I'd expect to see some very large numbers posted here once spring rolls around again. My best single trip during the fall was 56.8 mpg going down to Cape Cod. I'm secretly hopeful that with a broken-in engine and the right conditions, I could get a 60 mpg trip at some point!

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
This morning was the coldest so far here in the Boston burbs. My 15 mile AM commute, which averaged about 47 mpg (indicated) during the fall, only got 38.8 this morning. I believe this was the first time below 40 for the commute. I don't think the car is really inherently 9 mpg worse in the cold, because full warm-up took about 3/4 of the commute.
On the other hand, a couple weeks back we had a 50+ degree day, and a highway cruise up to southern NH showed 53 mpg, which was the highest I have seen for that particular trip, which I make often.
So I'm thinking my car is mostly broken in at this point, and I'd expect to see some very large numbers posted here once spring rolls around again. My best single trip during the fall was 56.8 mpg going down to Cape Cod. I'm secretly hopeful that with a broken-in engine and the right conditions, I could get a 60 mpg trip at some point!
you may have been experiencing a regen as well - i had the same number on my commute this morning, and it turned out to be a regen. 13 degrees may have had something to do with it as well.

I'm at about 6400 miles now, and am finding out what the car likes and doesn't like with respect to fuel usage. My numbers are skewed somewhat by my choice in tires - I am running taller tires than stock - 225/45/18, which results in a roughly 2.5 mph under report of speed and distance, so my mileage is actually better than fuelly reports. My tires are also soft winter compound and studded - so I am sure that negatively affects things as well. Plus my ride height is raised about half an inch. Oh well. I have still seen a couple 50 mph trips, and my goal is not the maximum mileage possible. its a fun cheap car to drive an operate. Will be even more fun once the lowering springs, GTI brakes and summer wheels and tires go on! Can't wait for Malone or someone to come out with a tune for this engine as well!

Last edited: