Trany help

fukeen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 1990 Golf
My transmission finally crapped out. Three years of hiccups and finally it's dead.
Before people ask it's a 2000 Jetta with almost 370K
So suggestions,,,,, 6 speed, rebuild, replace, upgrade maybe?
What do you guys think?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
it is currently an auto? a 6 speed swap would run you $2500ish just for parts, so you'd have to debate if that's worth it on a 15 year old car.. all depends on condition and how much you like it.

If its currently an auto, you can probably convert it to 5 speed manual, with new clutch for a $1000..

if you cant do the work yourself, its probably best to just dump it for whatever someone would give you for parts

fukeen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 1990 Golf
it is currently an auto? a 6 speed swap would run you $2500ish just for parts, so you'd have to debate if that's worth it on a 15 year old car.. all depends on condition and how much you like it.

If its currently an auto, you can probably convert it to 5 speed manual, with new clutch for a $1000..

if you cant do the work yourself, its probably best to just dump it for whatever someone would give you for parts
I guess I should have mentioned, the car is a 5 speed and not going to be parted as long as I can help it

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
ya if its already a 5 speed, pick up a good used tranny, new clutch while in there if needed and done.

Do you know for sure its the transmission? Could be the clutch/throw bearing/fork failure.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yeah ^ what are the symptoms? 02J's are pretty robust, you sure it's not a linkage or clutch issue?

Or did the diff pin smash through the case? :D

fukeen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 1990 Golf
Yeah ^ what are the symptoms? 02J's are pretty robust, you sure it's not a linkage or clutch issue?
Or did the diff pin smash through the case? :D
It's not quite that bad LOL. It could be linkage I guess.
Issue was persistent for a while where it would grind after selecting second gear. Then I had this sorted by changing the tranny fluid. It was okay for a while (with a slip here and there) until yesterday. While driving I just could not select the gears. I would fight with it selecting a gear until it would finally give in. I got to my street where it popped out of the third gear making hellish noise and just coasted to my driveway. Then it was just grinding gears, I couldn't even get it into the reverse, and when I finally did it wasn't moving.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Your description sounds like a weak 2nd gear synchro, but also that your clutch just gave out.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Sounds like either the clutch (release bearing failed), the clutch hydraulics are a problem (failing master or slave cylinder) or you bent the shifter mechanism (cable end inside the car). Can you row through the gears when the engine isn't running?

fukeen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 1990 Golf
Sounds like either the clutch (release bearing failed), the clutch hydraulics are a problem (failing master or slave cylinder) or you bent the shifter mechanism (cable end inside the car). Can you row through the gears when the engine isn't running?
I can row through gears when car isn't running, but can't select any gears when car is on.
Towing the car to the mechanic tomorrow BTW.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Sounds just like a clutch failure of some sort, most likely fork or bearing if its never been touched is my guess.

fukeen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 1990 Golf
Clutch was a goner :(
I didn't want to mess around with that tranny there after either since it did give me grinding issues for a while, and I've been beating on it 355Ks. Therefore a newer 260K tranny found a new home under my hood ;)

I'm ready for another season :)