No responses in mk5 forum... Brm suggestions

TDI
2006 jetta tdi, 85 golf diesel
Hi I am new to the tdi world, I have owned a mkiv 2.0 and a mk2 golf diesel and lovey Volkswagens. So I have done a little research and ended up with a 06 Jetta 5 speed with 122k mi on it couldn't find any decent mk4s which is my favorite style and most famous motor... My basic plan is to make a budget build that will be my dd including a possible 1100mi on a week or so with a possible new job. My basic thoughts were
•Malone or kerma 1.5
•cheap ss catback and possible dp
•injectors(open to suggestions)
•turbo (further future also looking for suggestions)
•economy big brake kits that use stock calipers
•koni str.t or billstein Tc and gli springs
•ecs sway bars
I am looking for any suggestions on cheap dependable parts and preferred websites. I was thinking of just getting a hp kit from kerma oncethe clutch goes
I'm not looking for the cheapest junk but. Cheapest of quality. I would like to take the car to Watkins glen and see what it will do and Erie speedway once I am do e and probably a stock base time too

94x

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2002 CTD w/12 valve, 2003 GTI w/ALH
Months ago I installed a vnt17, sbc stage 2 endurance clutch, and stage 4 Malone tune on an 06 Jetta BRM 5 speed car for a customer. Very nice upgrade.

TDI
We'll I know the cam is going to go and I will put a billet one in its not necessarily a budget build but askin around for good deals on parts and I mean it isn't going to be a 300 who car I just want like a 170 hp give or take to take to the track get 50 mpg there and back

TDI
We'll yes I planned on just doing tune exhaust turbo and clutch at some point but was wondering opinions on suspension and brakes for a daily driver that might be road coursed once or twice s year

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
We'll yes I planned on just doing tune exhaust turbo and clutch at some point but was wondering opinions on suspension and brakes for a daily driver that might be road coursed once or twice s year
I wouldn't bother with the exhaust on a stock turbo. It will boost creep if you do.

Grussing

TDI
99.5 06 Jetta 14Cummins
Mk5 jetta would never make a track car, I'm working on a MK5 Daily Driver here's my plan, new cam $600, cat gut with straight pipe and magna-flow muffler $100, German Motor Works Tune $150.

TDI
I wouldn't bother with the exhaust on a stock turbo. It will boost creep if you do.
I'm use to big diesels like my powerstroke and c15 cats that I work on but if you had a less restrictive exhaust wouldn't it help the turbine side release air quicker or is it just so small that it will actually make it spin faster. I've never had or heard of this problem before researching tdi's just curious I don't know

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I'm use to big diesels like my powerstroke and c15 cats that I work on but if you had a less restrictive exhaust wouldn't it help the turbine side release air quicker or is it just so small that it will actually make it spin faster. I've never had or heard of this problem before researching tdi's just curious I don't know
That's exactly what happens. The pressure differential is too much so you can no longer control shaft speed.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Mk5 jetta would never make a track car, I'm working on a MK5 Daily Driver here's my plan, new cam $600, cat gut with straight pipe and magna-flow muffler $100, German Motor Works Tune $150.

removing the cat converter does nothing but grossly pollute the atmosphere with virtually zero return on performance

do a muffler delete instead

Grussing

TDI
99.5 06 Jetta 14Cummins
I had three psi of back pressure before cat "cleaning" at idle the mufflers got little measurable back pressure, the mufflers not going to plug! Maybe if your cat is new or like new it's ok! Mine was 1/2 plugged. The turbos doesn't need back pressure to survive. As far as gross pollution all the PDs are big time polluters the cat dose nothing for NOX a EGR delete is a huge pollution mod!!

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
if I had to do it all over again I'd max out the stock injectors 150-160 whp and be done with it look at some of these bolt on turbo options that are out now and be happy with the car. lsd will help get your car rolling and get the power to the ground but cost some dough. I upgraded to vr6 brakes all around bigger diameter and better breaking capabilities without breaking the bank. go any further past this mark and you go off the deep end for little return on your investment.

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Keep in mind that a tune is good for ~40whp by itself and that pretty much maxes out the turbo and injectors. So, while a turbo upgrade is nice, it nets you relatively little without an injector upgrade. The BRM also has smaller plungers in the injectors so you'd be better off getting injectors from a BEW or BHW and having them rebuilt with larger nozzles.

TDI
For now I Plan on just getting a tune and probably leaving the cat and resonator on and replacing the muffler just because it is way to quiet. I would like to put some slightly larger injectors and turbo in later so it sounds like vnt17 and bew injectors with bigger nozzles?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Injectors aren't cheap for a PD.. Nothing like the ALH engines.. You're looking at $700-$1000 easy after it's all said and done. Problem with the BRM injectors like Mike said was that they have 7.5mm plungers compared to the 8mm plungers on the BEW injectors. Although, I do remember DBW mentioning something about the BRM injector which was positive.

That being said, if you're dropping that kind of coin on injectors, you want to go big. PD150, or BEW bodies with R783 nozzles. Combine that with a VNT17 (or bigger) and you'll be on your way to 200whp.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Injectors aren't cheap for a PD.. Nothing like the ALH engines.. You're looking at $700-$1000 easy after it's all said and done. Problem with the BRM injectors like Mike said was that they have 7.5mm plungers compared to the 8mm plungers on the BEW injectors. Although, I do remember DBW mentioning something about the BRM injector which was positive.

That being said, if you're dropping that kind of coin on injectors, you want to go big. PD150, or BEW bodies with R783 nozzles. Combine that with a VNT17 (or bigger) and you'll be on your way to 200whp.
afaik there is no "vnt17" for his engine ... his BRM uses a high mount turbo that is nothing like the BEW setup and his choices are somewhat limited ... pd140 from a BMM or a gt1749vc in a BMM housing (pd170 ;)).... i think Ryanp has some custom vk setups for the BRM ... but they are quite pricey

Last edited:

ura9298

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Keep in mind that a tune is good for ~40whp by itself and that pretty much maxes out the turbo and injectors. So, while a turbo upgrade is nice, it nets you relatively little without an injector upgrade. The BRM also has smaller plungers in the injectors so you'd be better off getting injectors from a BEW or BHW and having them rebuilt with larger nozzles.
Would it be worth installing BEW injectors on a BRM with a Garrett PD 140 turbo? Or is the turbo already going to be maxed out with a Malone stage 4 tune?