Buses at Disney World

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
In about 2 or 3 weeks, Disney will do a test with some of their buses running on Bio-Diesel....next to the Fuel Tank door, it says RD only. I assume this is the Bio-D that is molecularly identical to petroleum based diesel.

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
A lot of Montreal's busses are running on biodiesel, I don't know the percentage but it started in 2007 and they bought 203 more last year.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Ironman, can you keep an eye on this and report back? Disney is a staple in American "safe culture" to an awful lot of Americans. If Disney does it, it's gotta be safe! That breaks down yet another barrier for others to try it.

This is good news!

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I can't imagine why they haven't done this before - With all the fried foodservice they have on the property, they must have a LAKE of used veggie oil available to power the transpo sector.

A side benefit: If they are using bio for the open-air trams that bring guests from the parking lots, then the guests would be smelling the aroma of fries right as they arrive... Possibly being enticed to buy food at those insane prices.

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
alternative fuels in past

I have heard they tried waste veggie oil before, but had many difficulties...

If the Bio-D that they use is virtually identical to Petroleum -D, I foresee (and hope for) good results.

blue_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Blue Jetta, 2005.5 Black Jetta
A bus driver had told me they were trying "experimental fuels" in a select few buses about 5 or 6 years ago. I don't know if this was derived from waste veggie oil or something else.

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
Bio-D in Disney Buses

They've been using B20 since 2009. http://ezinearticles.com/?Walt-Disney-World-is-Fueled-For-the-Future&id=2267599
I can't find any info on using B100 based on any fuel. Can someone find out?
talked to some of the mechanics....apparently they are at a 50% mix of Petro-D and Bio-D (from animal fats and Veg Oils)...

so far, they have seen similar Fuel consumption on the new mixture with no adverse effects on the engines of the test buses (10 out of fleet of approximately 300 buses).

will give updates as I get more info..

BeetleGo

TDI
Great story because lot and LOTS of people like and trust Disney! :cool:

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
update on bio-D test on Disney buses....

they are currently running 100% Bio-D (after testing at 25% and 50% mix rates) in about 23 buses.... It has been very destructive to the engines (at least 4 ruined), so they are ending the test as soon as they use up the remaining fuel that they have on hand.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
It has been very destructive to the engines (at least 4 ruined), so they are ending the test as soon as they use up the remaining fuel that they have on hand.
Why would they not blend the "remaining" BioD back down to a percentage compatible with the modern common-rail diesel engines likely pushing their buses? This makes no sense, but thanks for remembering to update.

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
bean counters

Why would they not blend the "remaining" BioD back down to a percentage compatible with the modern common-rail diesel engines likely pushing their buses? This makes no sense, but thanks for remembering to update.

probably the ones making the decision are corporate types and not mechanic types.....:D

BeetleGo

TDI
Agreed. Biodiesel blended down to B20 is a level that the rest of the world, even in Canada (spelled, cold), has found works well. It also fulfills American fleet obligations to use 15% renewable fuel. A law that has been in effect since 2006! Disney is a fleet. I wonder how they're meeting this regulation.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
By ignoring the regulation entirely. Disney World in Florida is a special district, the city of Reedy Creek exists entirely within the property to manage and maintain the property, but by special agreement between Walt and the State of Florida (and possibly the Fed too, I can't remember) they are basically exempt from all state regulations like that. They are free to develop and operate as they see fit.

B-100

TDI
2005 Jetta BEW MKIV
So.... what exactly ruined those rigs?? Everyone loves a fleet test because you can better find out what generally happens, not just an anecdote.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I liked the CNG buses they have down there at disney. Incredibly quite and no smell. Funny looking exhaust "deflector" at the top of the stack makes them easily identifiable.

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
update....

the test is still going on, but they backed mixture to 50% bio now....

will keep you updated

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
update on bio-D test on Disney buses....

Test is over.....

all buses are running on 50% Bio-diesel mixture starting yesterday....

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
That doesn't say there are problems with TDI, just that there are components in the fuel system that have a crap nickel-plating process that has been shown to come apart. Quality control seems to be suffering.

BeetleGo

TDI
Last edited:

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
train engines

I am sure they are forgiving than bus, truck and car engines.....believe they are still steam engines (bio-d boils water that creates steam that drives the pistons that turn the wheels).

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The only steam-powered locomotives out there are museum pieces, or used only for historical reasons (and the one you linked to fits that description).

Any biodiesel-fueled locomotive in actual (non-historic) commercial service is going to be using that fuel in a diesel engine.