Anybody out there in Louisiana?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Guys, my 2003 Jetta's speedometer stopped working, however the tachometer, odometer, and other gauges are still working perfectly. I just bought this car and unfortunately need the speedometer working to get an inspection sticker. Any suggestions or places in Louisiana that fix instrument clusters?
I'd replace the cluster with either a used or new one.
Last time I looked new stock clusters were around $50 at ECS.

I MAY have a spare stock one.

I can also hook you up with an inspection place that will not check your cluster for a functioning speedometer

TDI
2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 5M
I'd replace the cluster with either a used or new one.
Last time I looked new stock clusters were around $50 at ECS.
I MAY have a spare stock one.
I can also hook you up with an inspection place that will not check your cluster for a functioning speedometer
Man i would greatly appreciate it if you can hook me up with an inspection sticker place! That would be a great short term solution!

tat2

TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi black. 2014 jetta tdi black
looking for tdi help in new orleans area

I have a 99.5 tdi that i absolutely love. Just got the stage 1 malone and man does it make the car awesome! Glad i did it.
I just seem to have some trans/clutch issues. It wants to grind in going into reverse. Happens randomly and seems to happen when car is at operating temp. Looking for some insight with someone more experience. Willing to pay for services and or trade work.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 99.5 tdi that i absolutely love. Just got the stage 1 malone and man does it make the car awesome! Glad i did it.
I just seem to have some trans/clutch issues. It wants to grind in going into reverse. Happens randomly and seems to happen when car is at operating temp. Looking for some insight with someone more experience. Willing to pay for services and or trade work.

The 99.5 shift linkage isn't brilliant.

If I were you I'd find the new style (late 2000 and later on any 5 or 6 speed MKIV VW) and upgrade.
You should be able to junk yard up a set.
How old is the transmission fluid?
A change certainly wouldn't hurt.

Have you adjusted the linkage yet? It's a worth while try.

Enjoy it:)

Last edited:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is how to adjust the later style, honestly I'm not sure how to adjust the early style as I upgraded my early 2000 to a 6 speed (with new style ends) before it needed adjustment.

EDIT DOH: http://youtu.be/sheTKD03hmo

tat2

TDI
The 99.5 shift linkage isn't brilliant.

If I were you I'd find the new style (late 2000 and later on any 5 or 6 speed MKIV VW) and upgrade.
You should be able to junk yard up a set.
How old is the transmission fluid?
A change certainly wouldn't hurt.

Have you adjusted the linkage yet? It's a worth while try.

Enjoy it:)
Dont know the age of fluid car has 141000 miles. I acquired it 20000ish ago. I have not done a proper linkage adjustment.

tat2

TDI
Here is how to adjust the later style, honestly I'm not sure how to adjust the early style as I upgraded my early 2000 to a 6 speed (with new style ends) before it needed adjustment.

EDIT DOH: http://youtu.be/sheTKD03hmo
so did you upgrade to 6spd trans or just 6spd linkage? Wouod you be willing to do another conversion?

zukikat

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
He did a 6spd trans swap.
It's basically like doing a clutch job plus a few extra bits, a lot of work.
I was going to do the same to my wagon but the cost/benefit ratio isn't a huge improvement and other priorities have derailed that plan for me recently.

I haven't pulled out a trans yet although I've assisted dremd with bolting one back into a Mk4 TDI during his flywheel replacement last fall and I'm about to try an entire 5spd trans replacement on my TDI within the next few weeks if all goes as planned.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
so did you upgrade to 6spd trans or just 6spd linkage? Wouod you be willing to do another conversion?

Linkage shouldn't be thiought of as 6 speed or 5 speed, but rather as early or late. The cable ends are different between early and late, I can't remember how, but I'm pretty sure you can figure it out.

I did upgrade to 6 speed on my last car as well as this car. If your looking to pay for it in fuel you will be SOL, but it is an incredibly nice transmission that I do have quite a soft spot for.

I wish I had time to do another swap, but I don't.

Desl Ed

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat SE TDI(Buyback), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2013 Touareg TD!
Recent move

I just moved back to the Lafayette area, been living and working in the Akron, Ohio area for almost 20 years.

Good to be back.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I just moved back to the Lafayette area, been living and working in the Akron, Ohio area for almost 20 years.

Good to be back.
Welcome home Ed!

My normal meetup is the albertsons / wing stop/ subway parking lot on Thursdays. I'm normally the only VW TDI, but there are usually a lot of cool people/ cars out. Unfortunately there are normally also plenty of people that you would prefer stay home.

Zut Alors!

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Hey guys,

Brand new owner of a TDi here down in New Iberia. Apparently I was Southwest's first Golf Sportwagen TDi buyer; they were so excited they bought me cupcakes for when I signed the papers. Not much of a wrench turner, but I do have some experience with a TDi having driven a Passat Wagon when I lived in the Netherlands in 2002-03. Let's just say my new wagon is a bit different than my old one, though the diesel rattle is a soothing sound to hear.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Sweet, I haven't really been in a 2015 yet, my 2014 (also from southwest VW) still seems wild to me.

Ljae

TDI
01 Jetta GLS
Happy New Year Louisiana tdicluders. I've not posted much but wanted to revive our thread. I've moved to Ponchatoula and planning/gathering a caddy,alh swap. Hopefully I can keep yall posted.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello fellow ALH swapper!
Do you already have the caddy?
I've got a bunch of left over swap bits (wiring harness, ECU, AC compressor, random bits) that I could let go of. Let me know what you need.
If you want to organize a meet I'd come, assuming i'm in town.Work keeps me busy in spring time and fall.

Ljae

TDI
01 Jetta GLS
Hi. I just got the caddy not too long ago. I debated on restoring the stock 1.6 or using the 1.6td from a quantum i found. But thought of the mileage and power of the alh got the best of me.
I'd definitely welcome any advice, guidance and/or help with this endeavor.;)

Mathek

TDI
1997 Passat
I own 2 TDI's......98 Passat and 2010 Jetta, French Settlement, La......Great vehicals and great on fuel.....saved $1000's on work trips...