Seat covers

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
yeah, exactly as title states

i'm in search of some decent seat covers. i recently transferred from building really awesome high horsepower and high capacity cascade refrigeration machines which was strictly copper and brass with silfos or silver soldering to........welding structural steel.

So, upon cleaning my seats, getting down in the cracks and crevices, i discovered alot of brown rust, which i'm just going to assume is from the metal from grinding all day, and what i can't get off me with an air hose is following me into my car, and getting down into the stitching seams..

ideas? i hit up amazon, but the reviews are hard to judge, and seems alot of the covers are universal and/or poor quality/didn't fit/etc.

i'm going to go for the gold and get the back seat lined as well.

anyone here have some tried and tested purchases?

thanks

garreth5

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
Depends on your budget. Wetokole and coverking offer some nice custom seat covers.

C C

TDI
GSW
We got beach towels from Goodwill and made our own seat covers. Cheap, effective, and washable.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I bought a 17pc set from Amazon. See how they work.

Adjustable for the split fold downs too.

$30.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE w/ Lighting Package
Costco has a decent set of one size fits all wetsuit seat covers. They don't fit perfect but actually pretty well. I like them because of the wetsuit material and more breathable than leather in the summer months here in Arizona.

Costco

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Nice. Are the bottom and back rest 1 piece?

And your username is legendary!

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I was going to suggest the Carhartt covercraft seat covers cause the few that I have seen look good for not being custom seat covers, but they don't have a fitment for MK7's.

I also don't know if all seat covers (or any?) are approved for seat airbags and the MK7 has them in the fronts.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Two piece sheepskin covers that cover the seating area might be a consideration

Tsquare86

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I bought this product.

Browning Tactical Seat Cover | Low Back | Black 2.0 | Single https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDSMYRL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7aYLBbKDF8CJ0

I removed some of the accessories that come with the seat cove as they weren’t necessary. So far I am very pleased with the adjustability of the cover relative to the seat and being able to slide in and out of the car vs sticking to the leather.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
The Amazon one I bought, you can see through it like a screen door from the backside.

I was going to buy some fast tack spray and line it with some 2mil plastic.

I need a dust barrier because of how filthy I get with grind dust.

How permeable is that browning?

This set I guess is worth $30 for the entire backseat for the kids. Always finding a French fry or nugget somewhere...

But I guess I need to invest in something serious just for the captain seat...

Last edited:

Tsquare86

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
The Browning one is similar in construction to a quality gym/duffel bag with the polyester base fabric.

IMO, It would help prevent grinding dust from permeating into the seats. I assume you're using abrasive wheels and not flap discs which is half of the issue about getting dust stuck in your clothing and hence the seats.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Soft pads actually. They're way faster then hard wheels actually. They want finished looks a t every joint. Ugh. Whatever.

This place is so cheap, we have a die to cut the used larger pads into 4 1/2 pads...

I'll give it a shot. At least where I sit at beer:30....

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Maybe light flight suit type coveralls instead of seat covers. I have used the tyvec ones I had in my spray booth. I know ll about grindingd ust from my iron shop.

Tsquare86

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I wouldn't want that in my car either. I assume you also have "weathertech" like floor mats and wash up thoroughly before driving home?

I would heckle you about the LAG not having a guard but since you are only sanding, there won't be any exploding wheel pieces burying into your legs/torso.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Wash, I guess. I wash my hands. A shower? No. Yea, the laser weather tech set. Oddly bottom of shoes are never dirty. clothing is the issue.

I just air hose off what I can. Exploding wheels? No. Occasionally I'll drop the cut off wheel, which usually breaks. So it's quickly inspected before I trigger it. And yeah, we run no guards. Clumsy to work with.

I did have a 4 1/2 wheel explode, but that was because my dad wired a 110v outlet to 220 for some goofy motor to run his lathe backwards cutting threads, didn't tell me.

Picked up old faithful Chicago tools, plugged her in, bumped that trigger, and holy fawk, took out a window, Swiss cheesed the drop ceiling, knocked my beer over.... That's another story...

But, yeah, that's all iron cotton candy. Just to make the frame look seamless....

So, might try those browning seats. They look decent and are 1 piece.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
OK. I got jinxed..

5 zig zags and nipped the tendon a bit. Less then a half centimeter.