Any old-timers left? (I joined in 1999.)

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I can only imagine how much better my TDI life would’ve been if I had known about this forum when I bought my first TDI brand new in 2003..

Unfortunately I didn’t even consider the idea that there might be a car community out there for me until 2008/2009 or whenever i ended up joining.

I am sincerely thankful to all those who helped build this community and to all those who keep it running and growing.

You guys have facilitated my love of the TDI and I’m happy to now own 2 and working my way to a 3rd, if I can just defeat the bridal forces of negativity. lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
I’m still around. Joined a few months after purchasing my first in 2000. I check in periodically here but don’t post much anymore. Almost 200k on my 01 golf. Bought and sold 7 other tdi’s over the last 15 years, but still have my original. Just surpassed 18 years with this car, so I gave it a new headliner as a birthday present. It’ll get a timing belt at 200k and honestly I may think about selling. A two door car isn’t really meeting my family’s needs at this point.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I’m still around. Joined a few months after purchasing my first in 2000. I check in periodically here but don’t post much anymore. Almost 200k on my 01 golf. Bought and sold 7 other tdi’s over the last 15 years, but still have my original. Just surpassed 18 years with this car, so I gave it a new headliner as a birthday present. It’ll get a timing belt at 200k and honestly I may think about selling. A two door car isn’t really meeting my family’s needs at this point.
I always wanted a 2 door :p Let me know when you want me to pick it up :D

I’m still around from time to time but no TDI’s in my stable. All BMW now. Still working on them as I have time between business trips.

My 02 I bought new melted down #2 cylinder from a streaming injector at 350k-ish miles and it has been back on the road with a new owner for about a year. I had a great time with my Jetta but still can’t wipe the grin off my face every time I drive my hooligan 335d :cool:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I always wanted a 2 door :p Let me know when you want me to pick it up :D
I’m still around from time to time but no TDI’s in my stable. All BMW now. Still working on them as I have time between business trips.
My 02 I bought new melted down #2 cylinder from a streaming injector at 350k-ish miles and it has been back on the road with a new owner for about a year. I had a great time with my Jetta but still can’t wipe the grin off my face every time I drive my hooligan 335d :cool:
Good to hear you still lurk around here like i do. Stop by if you are ever near indy!

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
We bought our 1999 New Beetle TDI in June of 99. I didn't join here until September of 2001, that's probably about the time we got our first computer. I have been fortunate to be able to make a living largely from these great cars.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I had to check my own stats. I joined here in 03 but bought had already owned the beetle for three years. Still have the 10 JSW but got rid of the 11 Golf. Couldn't pass up the money! Last year, I upsized my diesels and picked up a 17 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I'll be here at least until the wife says she's tired of driving the JSW.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Still here too since 01. Occasionally check in. Still with 01 Golf and 04.5 Passat.

nick02

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta silver
Joined Aug. 04. Still have my Jetta. Has been by far the best car I have owned. Brake booster only real failure. It has been parked in the garage for about a month now. Last road trip, oil light came on about 3 times. Oil pressure has been reading low lately. I was planning on changing the oil pump next timing belt but, with the light, haven't decided what to do yet.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
I actually joined before it was a forum! I left a message on the guestbook all those years ago. I've had 3 TDI's now (a mk4, a mk7, and a '14 beetle) plus my '81 Rabbit. All have been great!

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I actually joined before it was a forum! I left a message on the guestbook all those years ago. I've had 3 TDI's now (a mk4, a mk7, and a '14 beetle) plus my '81 Rabbit. All have been great!
Anyone who joined TDIClub before the first gen forums (1999), post the date you first posted in the old guestbook. I'll update your member profile to reflect that date.

:)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I don't remember when I first joined (having bought first TDI in early 2005 - edit: Feb2005 - it's right below my name. My duh!), but I do remember doing some troubleshooting on my 1999 Mk3 2.0L gasser and coming across "Fred's TDI page" - which had great info and really nice community vibe to it.

Name of the site has changed, but those two qualities have not.

Mark

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I bought my first TDI in '97, a white used '96 B4V and shortly afterward I joined the Passat mailing list at passat@blaze.cs.etc.etc and the Diesel Group mailing list at vwdiesell@velocity.bc.ca. I remember being on the forum before it was a forum, but my join date seems to 2000.

I sold the B4V to someone from Vermont and dabbled in Audis and Hondas for a while, eventually returning to the fold with a 2011 JSW. I traded that in on another car and eventually became the caretaker of my parent's old '02 A4 Jetta. That car is now being driven by my brother and last month I picked up an '09 TDI Touareg. I can't seem to leave it seems. :)

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I will keep my 02 TDI with close to 500,000 km and will drive it until I go on my last flight. By age I'm an Oldtimer, but by speed not!!!!!?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I got my 1st new TDI in 98 a red Jetta, fun car. Started lurking around then and joined up a few years later. My Golf will be my last VW unless I buy another ALH.

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na
I joined October of 2005, so not around as long as others in this thread. Always been more of a searcher and lurker, but I still have the B4 that brought me here and have added to the fleet.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
I joined in 2007 after having bought a new 2006 Jetta TDI. I found lots of useful help and information on this site as well as having joined a local TDI group that held regular GTG's that were fun and something to look foreword to. Sadly the group disbanded after a couple of years. I attempted to put out feelers for anyone interested in forming a new group but found there was no more interest or chemistry with the people that I met. I attended TDI fest 2010 in Portland.

Still daily driving the TDI which has nearly 140K miles (230K Km's) on it now. It has been a fairly reliable car with the exception of the camshaft issue, a failed DMF due to collapsed dampening springs, a failed rad fan motor and most recently a burned out glow plug. Although my cars reliability has probably been better than average I will never buy another VW product due to how I was treated and my problem was dismissed as I was facing a camshaft failure as the car still had warranty and then extended warranty. Since I work in an industry heavily reliant on Used Oil Analysis I started monitoring my oil as soon as I found out about the BRM camshaft issues. The iron content of my oil was well beyond any acceptable norms even while the car was still under conventional warranty and when I got my final oil sample results printed in red advising me to not drive the car since I had a failure in progress they still refused to fix it so I pissed away $2,600 for extended warranty and still had to fix it on my dime.

Went through a phase of trying to get a bit more performance and had some fun running a tuning box with mixed results and gave up on it when I got tired of its quirks. I was going to get a Malone tune but finally couldn't be bothered with that either and ended up getting a Corvette instead. I get my thrills now in a gasoline powered vehicle. The savings driving a diesel offset the gas the Corvette uses, I love being green lol.

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
A couple of weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on a '15 SEL Passat DSG w/45k miles and all the dieselgate warranties plus the VW certified warranty. I still have my 01 Golf because I'm sentimental and I've owned it for half of my life. However, changing the rear axle bushings, parking brake cables, and flushing the brakes last weekend makes me question my sanity for hanging on to it. Coming up on 200k, time for another timing belt change and another service in a few weeks.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Member #79 here. My TDIs are all gone after 20+ years. But I still take a peek here from time to time.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Not sure if I am an old timer, Joined back in 06 when I got my Jetta. I was a guest for a good 1-2 years prior. I don't spend nearly as much time here as I used to. It's rather sad to see what Dieselgate did to Fred's.

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
I stop in every once in a while. My 2002 is long sold to a good home, and my 2014 soldiers on with little to no issues. I will remain loyal to the concept of these cars, and it is a shame that VW felt they needed to cheat. We can no longer buy these cars new, and that friends....is a shame.

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
Still peep in every now and then. My 2001 Jetta was the best car I've ever owned.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Still here on a fairly regular basis. Just lost our '01 Golf GL and replaced it with a '15 SE

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Still here and keep this site as my home page... but, I don't engage in discussions like I use to. My 2000 Jetta TDI was an awesome vehicle and still is. I gave it to my son. I did a TB job on it back in the summer as well as maintenance things......... at about 373k miles. I purchased my brother's 03 Jetta (263k) with an 01 engine (313k).. And, of course I still have the 84 Vanagon with an 02 ALH engine.

At my age, I doubt I'll ever buy another new VW. Any new vehicle will be something besides a VW.... nothing against VW or the scandal.