2011 Golf Wagon - Start then stall

The_Hamster

Last night the wife was driving the 2011 Golf Wagon home and she said it stalled but restarted. This morning it started for her but stalled when backing of the garage and wouldn't restart, just cranked. She pushed it back in the garage and left it till I got home. When I got home it cranked and cranked and after about 15 seconds of cranking it started to fire a bit and then finally started (I could be tripping but pushing the accelerator a tad seemed to get it to fire whereas it was seemingly doing nothing previously). It has ran fine and drove a few km's without issue. Restarts without issue so far but we will see how it is in the morning.

No fault codes with VCDS (frustrating).

Car has 115,000 KM's on it, is out of warranty.

Anybody have any ideas where to start with this?

** Bonus background info **
Almost two years ago it stalled while driving at 80kph but restarted right away without issue. Had a VCDS code for the intake flap P0638 I believe. Cleared the code after the dealer looked at it and it never came back. No code this time if it is related.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
I have the same issue with one of mine.. same mileage. on on an awic and in warm climate.. I can't figure out what it is for the life of me besides a VW with too many sensors and electronics and no real diagnostics or reliability.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's a good idea to run the car up to 4500 rpm occasionally to blow out the cobwebs(and water, oil etc.). At least once a week should keep too much water from accumulating.

csandGOLF

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
Unfortunately I would bet you 1000 bucks this is intercooler icing. I've had this happen repeatedly since 2011. After lots of badgering my dealer installed a TSB kit that is supposed to prevent this. However my car still has done exactly what you describe even with the kit. Not a good thing... I'm just trying not to worry about it even though I know that water in the cylinders can hydro lock and destroy an engine. Also there is a very long sticky about this issue here on the forum. Good luck!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT