What is this little button???

ourvw

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Just bought the car yesterday and saw this little button under the drivers side dash. Has two wires going to it and if I press it nothing seems to happen. Any ideas? It's a 2011 Sportwagen TDI and it also has an after market remote start system but in its manual nothing is shown using this switch.

https://imgur.com/lKlgjTH

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Looks like it might be an on/off switch for a tuning box. Or maybe an on/off for the remote start system.

Last edited:

captaintofuburger

TDI
03 Golf TDI | 2014 JSW
Is the momentary or is it latching? If it latches I'm wondering if it enables/disabled the remote start system. Could have just been added on top of the remote start system which is why you don't see anything in the manual about it.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I'm wondering if the remote start is also an aftermarket alarm system and that button is an alarm silence/reset button.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm thinking that you are going to have to follow those 2 wires and see where they go. This will give us our first clue about what it is supposed to do. It will be useful to know whether the wires go to a stock control module or to that aftermarket remote start system or to somewhere else.

Have Fun!

Don

ourvw

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Still trying to hunt down where it goes but I am thinking it has something to do with the remote start. It seems to change the amount of time the car runs before shutting back off.